Ginger Baker, drummer in 1960s group Cream, dies aged 80

webfact

Ginger Baker, drummer in 1960s group Cream, dies aged 80

gb.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Drummer Ginger Baker of the Legendary supergroup Cream performs during a concert at the Royal Albert Hall in London, Britain May 2, 2005. REUTERS/Dylan Martinez

LONDON (Reuters) - British rock music drummer Ginger Baker, a co-founder of the 1960’s supergroup Cream with bass player Jack Bruce and guitarist Eric Clapton, died on Sunday aged 80.

Baker, who was born in south London in 1939, first came to prominence as a member of blues group The Graham Bond Organisation before founding Cream in 1966.

The band released four groundbreaking albums that brought together blues, psychedelic rock and hard rock before disbanding in 1968.

Baker went on to work with Nigerian Afrobeat pioneer Fela Kuti and joined English rock band Hawkwind for a period in the 1980s.

His family said last month he was critically ill in hospital.

“We are very sad to say that Ginger has passed away peacefully in hospital this morning,” a notice on Baker’s Twitter feed said on Sunday.

(Reporting by Paul Sandle; Editing by Catherine Evans

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-07

Cream was one of the first Rock groups I listened to because my brother had their album Fresh Cream and I snatched it one day to give it a listen.

Was quite the awakening musically for me, had only listened to the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Lovin Spoonful, and other Pop rock before that.

There is fantastic documentary on his life called Beware of Mr Baker. It’s on YouTube and Kodi and really worth watching if you are a fan of 60’s and 70’s music. There is an unforgettable scene where Clapton will not acknowledge that some of the people touted as the worlds greatest drummers were even in the same league as Baker.

4 hours ago, Siamesecarper said:

My first Hawkwind gig was Levitation tour 1980 Preston Guild Hall with Ginger Baker on drums. RIP Ginger - one of the best.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yeah that was a great tour but I found GB to be too self indulgent for my tastes....only time I ever saw a lengthy drum solo at a Hawkwind gig.

Shortly after that the world's greatest drummer had a big bust up with who he called 'the worlds worst bass player', Harvey Bainbridge.

I was not sad to hear Ginger Baker was the one sacked from Hawkwind.

46 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Yeah that was a great tour but I found GB to be too self indulgent for my tastes....only time I ever saw a lengthy drum solo at a Hawkwind gig.

Shortly after that the world's greatest drummer had a big bust up with who he called 'the worlds worst bass player', Harvey Bainbridge.

I was not sad to hear Ginger Baker was the one sacked from Hawkwind.

Yes he was self indulgent, but it's quite correct to say that most rock drummers were simply not in the same league as him, they could motor all night but couldn't swing as the video shown claims. Blind faith was a phenomenal band. GB was not without fault , the story goes that he pulled a knife on Jack Bruce on stage when Jack  accused him of playing out of time. Industrial quantities of recreational chemicals were involved no doubt!

Archived