Ford Ranger Flashing “P”

teevee

Automatic 4x4 2014 Ford Ranger Wildtrack:

two days ago, when driving the gear selector light (P / R / D) started flashing a P instead of a normal solid P. 

There is no other indication of a fault, no yellow fault lights and vehicle drives normally.

Cant really fine anything definitive on the internet so thought I would ask here, anybody have some advice ? 

Not interested in taking it to a Ford dealer as life is too short. 

38 minutes ago, teevee said:

Not interested in taking it to a Ford dealer as life is too short

And when the car will break down somewhere, prepare for a tow truck, loss of time money and car and repairing something small now that became a big problem later, Life is indeed to short for the latter...

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I know absolutely nothing about cars and thank you for an understandable choice of words

It's proper name is the OBDII port which can be simplified as, "Oh-beedee-too" if the local mechanic regards 'diagnostic thingy' as a bridge too far.

Thanks for the replies so far, I’ll take it down and plug it into a “diagnostic thingy” at an expat mechanics workshop in Ban Chang this morning.

The flashing light is when driving (should be solid D but now I’d flashing P) 

As for Ford dealers, my old dealer in Bangkok (Seinakarin Ford) was great but now in Ban Chang and numerous people have told me that the local Ford dealers are not very good so never use them.

Also, a special thanks to Ezzra as a post on Thai Visa without an ignorant reply would not be much fun.

6 hours ago, teevee said:

Thanks for the replies so far, I’ll take it down and plug it into a “diagnostic thingy” at an expat mechanics workshop in Ban Chang this morning.

The flashing light is when driving (should be solid D but now I’d flashing P) 

As for Ford dealers, my old dealer in Bangkok (Seinakarin Ford) was great but now in Ban Chang and numerous people have told me that the local Ford dealers are not very good so never use them.

Also, a special thanks to Ezzra as a post on Thai Visa without an ignorant reply would not be much fun.

Good idea. I think it's more likely to be something to do with the interlock switches and controls rather than any looming transmission death.

FYI, just in front of the autoshifter stick, there's a small rectangular blanking plug that covers a mechanical switch. This switch allows you to turn off and remove the ignition key then move the shifter into Neutral (from Park) and lock her up. Handy for when double parking in a busy garage and the attendants need to roll you out of the way. When I press the after market button I installed in place of the blanking plug and move the stick from 'P' to 'N', I get 3 warning chimes and the 'P' indicator on the dash flashes.

The Pattaya dealership wasn't too bad the last time I used them... but they're busy.

Just 5 minutes spent on Google reveals that this is a common issue on many auto Fords for at least 10 years. Try pushing the selector lock switch in a few times also engage gear slowly. .

I also found: " Turns out it was the transmission range switch which required a new circuit board" though that wasn't for a Ranger. 

From what I briefly read (which you could have done) it seems its likely to be transmission lock switch, wiring to it, connector, or the above.

Archived