Central Bank to use biometric technology in opening saving accounts

webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What??

We cannot teach other faucets of the Government how to use correctly... What makes them think Bank Employees are any different??

I for one do not want my bio's open to the Public and this is what they are trying to enforce. Are they going to ensure that all users of this system have a High Security Level and are Bonded? This is trying to make Theft an undisclosed feature. Too many Bank Employees have been caught with their hands in Customers Tills (Accounts)

I wonder how many 800,000b accounts are going to get knocked? Immigration say... After doing a independent survey of your retirement account... Seems the correct funds are not on Deposit?? (Even when your bankbook shows no withdrawals...) Your Visa Extension is denied!

This is an excellent way to get retiree's to leave Thailand... Not requiring Passports and in person attendance... As required of all Thai Banks as a requirement from the United States Social Security System, to enable Banks to accept these fund deposits...

Cutting their own throat here on this one I am afraid....

what about all those poor redundant photocopying machines and does mean an end to endless signatures to get my money from my thai bank show your passport copy signature make copy of copy sign on and on and they never even look at my thai id so how will this work take fingerprint copy sign what do they do with all paper !!!!!! 

7 hours ago, BestB said:

One question . Why?

what is wrong with using thai ID cards or passports ?

ID cards & passports have been known to be fake .... Bio-metrics makes it more difficult to use fake identities.

I believe that it is a great idea. There is plenty of biometrics in use around the world with things like passports and visa applications to some countries. It has been proven many times that things like passports, ID cards, drivers licences can be easily copied and the persons identity stolen but it is impossible to copy any ones fingerprints or iris

And where exactly do they get the comparison data from? Secret Chinese spy databases? Or is it just the ID card database - you can do the biometrics by raising your eyes off the facebook on the mobile and looking who is in front of you.

In respect to privacy and security, the fact that Immigration collects biometrics gives me the chills.  Is there any reason to believe that Immigration has to competence to protect your data?  What other countries use biometric data to open an account?  There are so many big issues that Thailand is facing, this is just another distraction form what matters. 

7 hours ago, BestB said:

One question . Why?

what is wrong with using thai ID cards or passports ?

that's called CONTROL and follow Thai best friend China ideas...soon they will implement (all expats) the chip insertion

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I saw a vlog the other day. The guy can't even buy a train ticket anymore without relying on his Chinese wife. They also have a rating system for foreigners. 

and when asked why .... they said it's democracy the Chinese way

Know your customer laws have been in place for many years in the USSA. The USSA dictates to the rest of the world how they are to do their banking or else they will be cut out of the Swift system that lets banks do business. Typical strong arming by the USSA. It has been slow coming to Thailand but looks like it is now here. If experience in the USSA is any indicator then more rules, regulations, and restriction are coming soon. The long term goal will be so slowly restrict the availability of cash. I can't wait to see how Thailand manages to pull that one off...but they will eventually.

You thought you could avoid the long reach of the USSA? lol, it cannot be done.

6 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

On one thought if it makes it easier to get a bank account for the non retiree then ok as we have nothing to lose anyway as we are already in the system from airport travel and renewals. About selling the biometric data like CM Sally said, perhaps, but all this info will probably be breached and ascertained by certain countries and criminals without paying. On the other thought, the idea is actually scary as this may set us up to having our full identities stolen and assimilated.

Phillip Dick's Minority Report prefigured all this. Our hero got his cornea changed

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

I believe that it is a great idea. There is plenty of biometrics in use around the world with things like passports and visa applications to some countries. It has been proven many times that things like passports, ID cards, drivers licences can be easily copied and the persons identity stolen but it is impossible to copy any ones fingerprints or iris

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/30/hacker-fakes-german-ministers-fingerprints-using-photos-of-her-hands

6 hours ago, kylep said:

Presumably and most definitely, perhaps because using e-kyc ensures the integrity of the account opening process and eliminates the risk of identity theft or opening accounts using proxy documents or passports obtained fraudulently... or by way of deed poll in some countries which allow such a heretical practice!

Absolute baloney!.  No institution of Government needs biometric data from anyone.  There are very few fake passports around and  a fake Thai ID card would involve sophisticated technology as  Tha ID cards are relatively tamper proof.

There is another motive for this and it involves complete control by Governments. As a foreigner- one already gives passport data; pictures taken by a computer; fingerprints., TM 47; TM 30; 90 day reporting;  Hotels reporting Enough is enough.  It would not surpise me if at some point a DNA sample is required.

21 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Absolute baloney!.  No institution of Government needs biometric data from anyone.  There are very few fake passports around and  a fake Thai ID card would involve sophisticated technology as  Tha ID cards are relatively tamper proof.

There is another motive for this and it involves complete control by Governments. As a foreigner- one already gives passport data; pictures taken by a computer; fingerprints., TM 47; TM 30; 90 day reporting;  Hotels reporting Enough is enough.  It would not surpise me if at some point a DNA sample is required.

Then you should tell a lot of first world western countries because it is being used all over the world now by many other countries immigration services. All new Thai passports have bio-metrics and all visa applications that go through the Indian company VFS that is contracted to do all visa applications for Australia, UK, New Zealand and many other countries must have bio-metrics done before the visa is approved.

Archived