Central Bank to use biometric technology in opening saving accounts

webfact

26 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

en you should tell a lot of first world western countries because it is being used all over the world now by many other countries immigration services. All new Thai passports have bio-metrics and all visa applications that go through the Indian company VFS that is contracted to do all visa applications for Australia, UK, New Zealand and many other countries must have bio-metrics done before the visa is approved.

Everyone knows that all passports are biometric as well as other documents=  This topic is not about Immigration but about  docs to open a bank account.  My point is that we, as foreigners already have given up our data in many ways,  I suppose they now will want a retinal scan and at some point DNA.   

Governments love people who are compliant- especially those that are authoritarian in nature.  Keep voluntarily giving up  all privacy and see where we all end up.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone has data stored from mobile phone, passport, existing bank accounts,  entering/leaving/traveling in the Kingdom.

In the USA, Australia, United Kingdom everyone already has accumulated personal data and accepted that data is stored.

Personally I don't see what difference another bit of stored data makes to anyone.

Just an opinion!

Only a fool would trust his lifes savings in an establishment that solely uses electronic means of identification, that are easily overridden....and could be used as an excuse to justify potential theft or embezzlements that often have occured from insider dishonesty.

4 hours ago, J Town said:

So will we need to attach a biometric reader on our desktop/laptop to log in?

I've been using a built in finger print scanner on laptops and phones for years. Good security measure. Beats typing in a password everytime.

The phone I use now has three ways to access. Password, fingerprint or facial recognition.

4 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Quote:-

"the sandbox project"

Image result for cartoon of heads buried in sand

Does it mean that the new generation ostriches wears underwear ... ????

I don't understand the panic here. All banks have been computerized for decades. Every movement in your account is logged and I'm sure the governments around the world have access and can freeze accounts. For many years every bank in most countries in the world have to report to the U.S government about anyone with American citizenship that open an account. The only difference I see is that it will be impossible to open/access accounts using fake documents. And besides - if it's gonna happen, we won't be able to avoid it, unless we stop using banks...

22 hours ago, BestB said:

One question . Why?

what is wrong with using thai ID cards or passports ?

Nothing is wrong using passports for identification. But just about every day these little Hitlers and Richard Craniums are busy regulating Thai society and expats. All in the honorable guise of keeping criminals out. Bull <deleted>. Just look at passport control. 10 fingers scanned AND facial biometrics.. overkill ?? Bet they are selling this data to other governments.

Pity the poor (married) expats that can't escape this fast becoming tyrannical place.

Hands up those expats that have started packing up, and heading back to their home land that offers free/subsidised health care, no mandatory thb 800,000 and needing to report when you come and go. Next, is how many times a day you wipe your bum.Geez !!!!!!!!

This place is great to come for holidays a few times a year, to "enjoy" and fraternize, then go back home and repeat as often as you can afford.

16 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Nothing is wrong using passports for identification. But just about every day these little Hitlers and Richard Craniums are busy regulating Thai society and expats. All in the honorable guise of keeping criminals out. Bull <deleted>. Just look at passport control. 10 fingers scanned AND facial biometrics.. overkill ?? Bet they are selling this data to other governments.

Pity the poor (married) expats that can't escape this fast becoming tyrannical place.

Hands up those expats that have started packing up, and heading back to their home land that offers free/subsidised health care, no mandatory thb 800,000 and needing to report when you come and go. Next, is how many times a day you wipe your bum.Geez !!!!!!!!

This place is great to come for holidays a few times a year, to "enjoy" and fraternize, then go back home and repeat as often as you can afford.

You're also just a paranoid whiner who doesn't understand that biometrics and other methods are used in other countries,and will be used all over the world in the future. It's safer than many crappy countries passports which don't even have biometric data. 

14 hours ago, Max69xl said:

58 posts so far and maybe 48-50 paranoid whiners. Biometrics, facial recognition and iris scans will be used for identification everywhere in a near future. 

If you dont care about your freedom or becoming a slave of the state at lease dont make fun of those who have the foresight to speak up....

People may joke about being microchipped but its no joke.....That is where all this is leading step by step..... 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

You're also just a paranoid whiner who doesn't understand that biometrics and other methods are used in other countries,and will be used all over the world in the future. It's safer than many crappy countries passports which don't even have biometric data. 

1 hour ago, Melbun said:

Edited 1 hour ago by Max69xl

Yeh - Sure Max69xl is another idiot that doesn't mind getting swept along without complaint. And what a good boy you are for being so understanding and knowing it all. You old DS richard cranium.

1 hour ago, Melbun said:

Funny, but I can't find the paragraph where it says banks will use biometrics for foreigners ONLY.

Or you are one of those that when it rains on you, you are sure someone is p***ing on you from above

20 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

If you dont care about your freedom or becoming a slave of the state at lease dont make fun of those who have the foresight to speak up....

People may joke about being microchipped but its no joke.....That is where all this is leading step by step..... 

I don't know how old you are, but you probably realize that the world changes around us ALL the time. Your parents probably felt that before as did your grandparents and as will your children and grandchildren in the future. Some things we can opt out of easily - you don't have to get twitter / FB or any other type of social media - you can select what you want. I don't install any app that needs too many unrelated permissions. For example I CHOSE not to have grab installed as they demand access to areas of my phone unrelated to booking a ride in my opinion, and I go by taxis when I have to. 

Some things we can't really opt out of, or the price we pay for opting out is much greater, such as losing your freedom to travel if you refuse to have a biometric passport, limit the places you can travel to if you decide not to go where they use biometric measures at entry/exit points and so on.

16 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Funny, but I can't find the paragraph where it says banks will use biometrics for foreigners ONLY.

Or you are one of those that when it rains on you, you are sure someone is p***ing on you from above

Le krook - In your haste to dream up a not so witty reply it's obvious you didn't read what I wrote stupido.

VIZ

"Nothing is wrong using passports for identification. But just about every day these little Hitlers and Richard Craniums are busy regulating Thai society and expats"

** OK?? so stop being a know it all smartie and read before you criticise. You are obviously one of the old codgers trapped there. Right?? More the fool you mate !!

28 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Le krook - In your haste to dream up a not so witty reply it's obvious you didn't read what I wrote stupido.

VIZ

"Nothing is wrong using passports for identification. But just about every day these little Hitlers and Richard Craniums are busy regulating Thai society and expats"

** OK?? so stop being a know it all smartie and read before you criticise. You are obviously one of the old codgers trapped there. Right?? More the fool you mate !!

Mel Burn - 

Trapped? nope - my own choice and happy about it. But seems YOU are trapped in "there" - obviously you don't live in Thailand, nor like Thailand, yet you frequent the THAI visa forum.

Did YOU read the OP (original post, the article itself)? It's not about new "anti foreigners regulations". It's about banks implementing a system to prevent fraud, so again - it's raining, not someone pi**ing on your head.

Oh, BTW (by the way) - when you quote someone and post a reply - you type your reply UNDER (or above) the grey area, not in it

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

I don't know how old you are, but you probably realize that the world changes around us ALL the time. Your parents probably felt that before as did your grandparents and as will your children and grandchildren in the future. Some things we can opt out of easily - you don't have to get twitter / FB or any other type of social media - you can select what you want. I don't install any app that needs too many unrelated permissions. For example I CHOSE not to have grab installed as they demand access to areas of my phone unrelated to booking a ride in my opinion, and I go by taxis when I have to. 

Some things we can't really opt out of, or the price we pay for opting out is much greater, such as losing your freedom to travel if you refuse to have a biometric passport, limit the places you can travel to if you decide not to go where they use biometric measures at entry/exit points and so on.

You just have to give Grab permission to your location,that's all, but I agree with you. You will be very isolated if you don't permit new methods in identification. Biometrics,facial recognition and Iris scan is here to stay. Biometrics are already in western passports,and if you don't like it, stay at home. A fingerprint reader in a phone is more secure than a password. Paranoid people might think a Nokia 3310 is the best phone ever. 

8 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Paranoid people might think a Nokia 3310 is the best phone ever. 

It is the best phone ever. The current digital ankle bracelets that people call phones have horrible sound quality and break when you so much as look at them in a wrong way. It will take a supernova to scratch a 3310.

Use a non-specific email address in google services and a burner phone for dodgy apps, like some made by an unknown 3rd party for Thai immigration.

23 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Mel Burn - 

Trapped? nope - my own choice and happy about it. But seems YOU are trapped in "there" - obviously you don't live in Thailand, nor like Thailand, yet you frequent the THAI visa forum.

Did YOU read the OP (original post, the article itself)? It's not about new "anti foreigners regulations". It's about banks implementing a system to prevent fraud, so again - it's raining, not someone pi**ing on your head.

Oh, BTW (by the way) - when you quote someone and post a reply - you type your reply UNDER (or above) the grey area, not in it

Le Krook

I am well aware how to post - wasn't able to as it was overloaded with your nonsense. As for whether I live in Thailand (no comment). As for not liking Thailand you are wrong. Thailand IS a travellers paradise and an expats hell. A fool and his money are soon parted in Thailand (by this regime). Yeh, you are old and crotchety and cannot escape. That's for sure. "oh my own choice and happy to be there" hahahah. What else can you say. You will return my boy - nothing surer. As time goes by you WILL see the folly of it all.

2 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Le Krook

I am well aware how to post - wasn't able to as it was overloaded with your nonsense. As for whether I live in Thailand (no comment). As for not liking Thailand you are wrong. Thailand IS a travellers paradise and an expats hell. A fool and his money are soon parted in Thailand (by this regime). Yeh, you are old and crotchety and cannot escape. That's for sure. "oh my own choice and happy to be there" hahahah. What else can you say. You will return my boy - nothing surer. As time goes by you WILL see the folly of it all.

Mel Burn 

I just completed my M.Sc a couple of years ago and I do what I like and enjoy in that field. About to start working on my PhD soon. So trapped? nope. And you? what are you doing with your life besides spreading hatred? 

On 10/6/2019 at 8:49 PM, holy cow cm said:

On one thought if it makes it easier to get a bank account for the non retiree then ok as we have nothing to lose anyway as we are already in the system from airport travel and renewals. About selling the biometric data like CM Sally said, perhaps, but all this info will probably be breached and ascertained by certain countries and criminals without paying. On the other thought, the idea is actually scary as this may set us up to having our full identities stolen and assimilated.

Moving through immigration is not even close to the same as having yourself on file at a bank or other private organizations.  

4 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Mel Burn 

I just completed my M.Sc a couple of years ago and I do what I like and enjoy in that field. About to start working on my PhD soon. So trapped? nope. And you? what are you doing with your life besides spreading hatred? 

And Dr Le Krook what does your obvious haughtiness have to do with the argument at hand ?? I've heard they just about give those credentials away in Thailand OR have you purchased them in a correspondence diploma mill in the USA ?? MSc in divinity ??

**What is the electron spin configuration of hydrogen?

**You have a resistor of 1 k ohms and a potential difference of 100v - what is the current passing through it and it's power dissipation ? If you take longer than 5 minutes -you are looking up the answer. hahhaah

8 minutes ago, Melbun said:

And Dr Le Krook what does your obvious haughtiness have to do with the argument at hand ?? I've heard they just about give those credentials away in Thailand OR have you purchased them in a correspondence diploma mill in the USA ?? MSc in divinity ??

**What is the electron spin configuration of hydrogen?

**You have a resistor of 1 k ohms and a potential difference of 100v - what is the current passing through it and it's power dissipation ? If you take longer than 5 minutes -you are looking up the answer. hahhaah

Le Krook - Fake !!!

Archived