Wealthy plantation owner killed in pick-up/train collision in south

webfact

Wealthy plantation owner killed in pick-up/train collision in south

news_suVGbxQmEw203427_533.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A 60 year old palm plantation and orchard owner in Chumpon was killed after a collision with a train on Saturday.

Thaworn, the driver of the Bangkok to Surat Thani service (Number 43) said that the pick-up tried to cross a road over the tracks and gave him no chance to brake. 

Arunkiat was propelled 200 meters down the track and had to be cut free from his vehicle that was completely destroyed, reported Daily News. 

Locals said that he was a wealthy man who was hard working and delivered his produce to market himself. 

He owned 100 rai of palm plantation in the Wisai Neua area and also had 100 rai of orchards in the Lang Suan area where he was from.

He was familiar with the crossing using it many times per day. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-07

I can make it, I can make, Oh! no you can't, 

"He was familiar with the crossing using it many times per day. "

Probably never even looked, they do the same when collecting

kids from school,near where i live, they just pull out,without looking,

because they did the same thing last year,last month,last week,and

nothing was coming, until it does.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

I can make it, I can make, Oh! no you can't, 

"He was familiar with the crossing using it many times per day. "

Probably never even looked, they do the same when collecting

kids from school,near where i live, they just pull out,without looking,

nothing was coming, until it does.

regards worgeordie

"they just pull out,without looking,

nothing was coming, until it does.",.. Come to think of it ?! You are soo right in this statement !!!

I had a problem with a crossing with half barriers only this morning. It was in a built-up area with number of roads converging on the crossing. And I suppose locals have found that if someone actually waits patiently, a massive hold-up occurs on all the various roads leading to the crossing. So a lot of people were weaving around the barriers. but a lot of others were actually being patient.

I also got the impression that this crossing has frequent problems. It lies close to a much busier main road crossing with full barriers, and I think the gatekeeper on the big crossing probably also has control over the smaller crossing, and has a surveillance camera to keep an eye on it. So I'm supposing he frequently closes the gate very early for both crossings, but with the knowledge that many people will just weave around the half-barriered crossing anyway. So I guess he saw my car and others patiently waiting, and decided he had closed the small crossing just a bit too early. So I guess he then put the half-barriers up briefly to let the traffic hold up to clear. But the crossing is just a bit too narrow for two lanes of traffic, and impatient motorcycles want to go first. That further delayed my crossing and by the time I'm on the hump, he probably decided to shut the half-barriers again, so I have to do some weaving myself to finish my manouevre. I drew some comfort from the fact that the gates were very light and could easily have been demolished if I had really needed to make a full-blown emergency exit. Things were also helped somewhat by the fact that it is a very straight stretch of track both sides, so you can actually see trains approaching; and they do proceed quite cautiously in that area. In fact, I think they often get a signal to come to a complete halt there until the crossing keeper is happy with both crossings. I never actually saw a train at any point during the fiasco. and one wonders whether it is just a very temperamental gate, which many locals know about and just weave around most of the time.

Quite soon after, I also crossed the full-barriered crossing closeby. There was no sign that the bigger gate was about to close, or had recently been closed. Totally confusing!

Things were also not helped by the fact that someone had just said "Follow me, i know a shortcut". I always hate that sort of helpfulness, because you know only too well that they won't make any allowances for changing traffic lights etc. Anyway, I was really miffed because it was supposedly a family friend, but confronted by the closing half-barriers they just weaved round. No way was I going to follow them. but I bet they were really <deleted> ticked off by having to wait for me to catch up after the crossing.

I hate travelling in local car convoys, and always do my damnedest to avoid them. But on the rare time I got suckered, sure enough they have to do something profoundly stupid. We are talking about people here who are supposed to be (by their social and occupational rank) highly responsible. They ain't!

On 10/7/2019 at 4:17 AM, Matzzon said:

According to me, it would almost be impossible to collide with a train. This country creates a special breed of genius.

A brilliant sense of words. Never have I seen such a lack of safety. Unbelievable..

Archived