Questionable tactics and conduct

Used car salesmen have a shady reputation worldwide some say. Here’s what I am facing in search of a car in Thailand.

Ads - “contact seller”. Why advertise if you’re not prepared to disclose the price? It is a condition when placing ads elsewhere.

Year model- car plate says 2017 but the ad says 2018. But it was first driven in 2018 he says.

Km- ad says 5k but the cars is much higher.

Test/inspect the car- the car owner or manager has the keys and he’s not here.

Price/trade in- we will give you the lowest possible for trade in and not willing to negotiate the car for sale.

Customer service- appears not enthusiastic to sell. Expect you to say Where do I sign without any effort from him.

This has been my experience at a lot of dealership going with my Thai wife. What happened to salesmen bending over backward to sell you and then shafting you afterwards. Here they don’t believe in using lubrication first.

The search continues!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

been there done that... but as @petermik said this is Thailand and nobody is in a worry to sell anything.... and if they are on their break/sleep/siesta time it's worse, better move one and forget about getting any answers. I remember in the US when trying to buy a car if turn away and trying to leave the lot,  the dealer would run after me begging for a deal...  but here we are talking about Thailand

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sir charles IV said:

Used car salesmen have a shady reputation worldwide

As a former car salesman, Da Roadrunner is offended. I demand satisfaction and challenge you to a race.

Your main problem here is finding something worth buying. If a Thai is selling there is often something wrong with the car or its papers. Another common problem is the Thai registration book states when the car was registered in Thailand. However, it may have been manufactured years earlier and imported as a used car.... check the VIN number. They are also up to all sorts of tricks to cover up accident damage. Some used Thai cars are so bent they go down the road like a crab goes down the beach.

You might do better buying privately than from a dealer. Then sell your existing car privately or let a dealer sell it for you.

Take someone with you who really knows about cars. Or make it a condition of purchase that a main dealer checks the car before you part with your cash or sign anything. If the seller does not like that, walk away.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 2

As a former car salesman, Da Roadrunner is offended. I demand satisfaction and challenge you to a race.

Your main problem here is finding something worth buying. If a Thai is selling there is often something wrong with the car or its papers. Another common problem is the Thai registration book states when the car was registered in Thailand. However, it may have been manufactured years earlier and imported as a used car.... check the VIN number. They are also up to all sorts of tricks to cover up accident damage. Some used Thai cars are so bent they go down the road like a crab goes down the beach.

You might do better buying privately than from a dealer. Then sell your existing car privately or let a dealer sell it for you.

Take someone with you who really knows about cars. Or make it a condition of purchase that a main dealer checks the car before you part with your cash or sign anything. If the seller does not like that, walk away.

My apologies to the honorable Da Roadrunner. I should have said “some” and not disrespected all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 3 months later...

Yes, I paid cash for a new car, why not?  Indeed...  Many of the 'free gifts' on offer were only for car financed and so did not benefit from them, etc. etc..  Second new car is on 'the never never'.  More gifts and also was able to put the cash in the bank for my annual visa renewal requirements.  Finance charges are not arduous.

Bought an older pickup and a used motorbike from Baht and Sold.  Both were from farang sellers, the price was good and the vehicles were as described.  The PU is a Tata, BTW.  Great truck and good value as Thai people prefer other brands.