THAI defends food service after passenger complains on Facebook

snoop1130

By The Nation

800_dd052d870a7b949.png

Thai Airways International insisted the company offers "standard services of any premium airline" after a passenger took to Facebook to express his dissatisfaction about food served in economy class on the Bangkok-Sapporo flight. The post had been shared by online communities.

Suthirat Siriphananon, president of In-flight Services, Thai Airways, countered the passenger’s post on Facebook that the airline served only a sandwich and drink. 

Suthirat said that in economy class flights, including the Bangkok-Sapporo one, the airline has a standard service of two meals for flights which depart after midnight. The airline serves sandwiches and drinks as the first meal, and after that passengers have time to rest. As for beverages, passengers can summon the staff when they want one on the flight. Suthirat insisted that the airline also served hot meals as a breakfast when the flight neared Sapporo in the morning.

The company also clarified that for front row seats or “preferred seats”, THAI has a policy to allow passengers to pay more. All flight attendants comply with the rule that if a passenger does not reserve a preferred seat but sits in one, the attendants will ask the passenger to move back to the seat he/she booked. The company said it normally called in flight attendants to investigate. If an attendant was found to have used inappropriate words, the airline would proceed against the employee according to company regulations.

Meanwhile, to avail of mileage points to redeem tickets for each flight, THAI said it has set aside seats for the purpose, adding that it apologises if the number of seats are insufficient. The airline said it has added the option for Royal Orchid Plus members to travel on designated flights after collecting additional miles to redeem a ticket. 

THAI said that for more information, passengers can contact thaiairways.com/rop or THAI Contact Centre via 02-356-1111 (24 hours).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377165

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-07

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, CLS said:

THAI was once a good airline, many many years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I remember - loooong ago - for flying between Europe and NZ in luxury, there was only the choice between THAI and Singapore Airlines.

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

That doesn't look like Economy Class food. If they said it was Business Class I would have believed them.

Back in the seventies, Singapore for the F A’s , Thai for great service and food, Cathay for the reassurance of the British or Aussie Pilots.

Those were the choice airlines for most of us on our Europe escape, how things change, now the Gulf airlines dominate.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:
1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

The company also clarified that for front row seats or “preferred seats”, THAI has a policy to allow passengers to pay more.

How nice of them.

Yeah, it's the usual spin-doctor ploy - at Thai this time.

A way to change the text from 'charging extra', by changing it to 'allowing passengers to pay more'.

Obviously wannabe TAT staff.

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

That doesn't look like Economy Class food. If they said it was Business Class I would have believed them.

Er.....what are you talking about?  Ever flown on them in business class?  Or economy?  In the last decade?

I just flew BKK to Jakarta business class this afternoon.  Check-in, security and immigration all done in about 5 minutes.  No airline does it as well as Thai anywhere.  Lounges are a bit rubbish, but just about acceptable.

Probably the most comfortable business class seat I've had in a while on the 787.  Great service, great food.  Starter, three choices of main, cheeses, dessert, and lashing of booze.  Really good service throughout, as Thai always does.  So your comment just looks petty and ridiculous.

Flying back business on an older A330 later in the week.  Cabin will be worse (not lie flat) but service and food will be good.

And I also fly them economy at least once a month.  Regionally they are as good as anyone (and I also fly on other airlines).  Food, service, it's fine.  Long haul, not for me - IFE not good enough and I'd rather go Emirates or another Middle Eastern carrier.  

I'd love to know when the last time you flew them in business was to qualify your comment, or when the last time you flew them economy was for that matter.  They did win Skytrax economy class of the year recently and that's because they are not that bad.

17 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Er.....what are you talking about?  Ever flown on them in business class?  Or economy?  In the last decade?

I just flew BKK to Jakarta business class this afternoon.  Check-in, security and immigration all done in about 5 minutes.  No airline does it as well as Thai anywhere.  Lounges are a bit rubbish, but just about acceptable.

Probably the most comfortable business class seat I've had in a while on the 787.  Great service, great food.  Starter, three choices of main, cheeses, dessert, and lashing of booze.  Really good service throughout, as Thai always does.  So your comment just looks petty and ridiculous.

Flying back business on an older A330 later in the week.  Cabin will be worse (not lie flat) but service and food will be good.

And I also fly them economy at least once a month.  Regionally they are as good as anyone (and I also fly on other airlines).  Food, service, it's fine.  Long haul, not for me - IFE not good enough and I'd rather go Emirates or another Middle Eastern carrier.  

I'd love to know when the last time you flew them in business was to qualify your comment, or when the last time you flew them economy was for that matter.  They did win Skytrax economy class of the year recently and that's because they are not that bad.

Well I don't fly business class, because I am a pensioner but I can't

complain about the food served on Thai Airways, I fly from Perth to

Suvarnabhumi non stop with Thai which takes just over 6 hrs.

And i always had a decent meal, snacks, and drinks.

1 minute ago, White Christmas13 said:

Well I don't fly business class, because I am a pensioner but I can't

complain about the food served on Thai Airways, I fly from Perth to

Suvarnabhumi non stop with Thai which takes just over 6 hrs.

And i always had a decent meal, snacks, and drinks.

Yep.  I often fly economy on them too and their food and service is good - in my opinion better than other regional airlines, but it's all much of a muchness really if we're being honest.  Flew 6 hours to Tokyo last year with the family and they were great - service good, food good, kids looked after.

Most of the people who make negative comments about Thai haven't been on a plane for years.

'As for beverages, passengers can summon the staff when they want one on the flight. '

Yes, I remember this. On a 10h flight they didn't bother to even give bottles of water. Had to go to galley to get it, the call buttons didn't work. Never had that on any airline before. Now I need to fly again next month and the options are Thai, SG airlines with a hop or AirAsia from DMK. I'll take the hop even if it's 1h more.

39 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Yep.  I often fly economy on them too and their food and service is good - in my opinion better than other regional airlines, but it's all much of a muchness really if we're being honest.  Flew 6 hours to Tokyo last year with the family and they were great - service good, food good, kids looked after.

Most of the people who make negative comments about Thai haven't been on a plane for years.

Possibly true but folks don't forget bad service.

I flew Thai at least twice a week often day trips from Bkk to KL, S'pore, HK, Jakarta and Manila for some 12 years. That job ended with my retirement about 15 years ago. The policy of my company was that you must use the local national airline.  

In those days the food was OK but wouldn't win any awards but the check-in and cabin service was rude, inattentive and just lazy. Just a couple of examples: 

- Had to fly Bkk to Jakarta (Bus. class) evening flight, my 18 yo son was on holidays and he came with me (at my own expense with the most expensive class of ticket same as mine, because I needed flexibility to regularly change flight dates / times).

About 30 minutes after the evening meal was finished and everything packed away my son politely asked the hostess for a glass of coke, she didn't even stop to listen to him just kept walking and said as she went past the next row of seats 'go and ask in economy class'.

I objected and said he's on a fully paid ticket, he's entitled to the same service as all passengers. The hostess, looked at me and said 'no, children should ask for service, it's rude'.

So I asked for a glass of coke for myself, when she came back I pushed her her hand so that she put the glass on my son's tray table. She responded with 'your a very rude person'.

Suddenly the purser came running and saying 'it's a misunderstanding' again and again. I said 'there is no misunderstanding at all' and I informed the purser that there was no need for further discussion. She went away.

A few minutes later another bus. class hostess came to my seat and said 'why are you so rude to my friend!'

- Flying back from HK Bus. class, when I boarded no cabin staff to be seen. I found my seat as did all the other bus. class passengers, near full.

Everybody seated, still no cabin crew, then the older Thai lady sitting next to me pressed the call button, she wanted a glass of water. No response, so she got up and went to the galley area and got a glass of water for herself.

A minute later she came back to her seat she spoke loudly to get the attention of all the passengers, and said 'there's no cabin staff because they're busy having a birthday party'.  

My Thai consultants regularly complained about hostess rudeness on Thai and asked me to please change the company policy and use other airlines. I did.

Given the above, and many other incidents I developed a very negative attitude to Thai and I have never flown them since. 

Please of choices.

Thai Airways seems to have issues with consistency. 

The food is sometimes ok, sometimes its awful. Sometimes the actual plane is ok and other times its old and looks worn. And sometimes the service is fantastic and sometimes its hideous to the point it could make a passenger quite annoyed. 

Last year I complained to the Purser (flight manager) after a flight attendant told me I had to get a beer myself (in economy class - its was about 3 hours into the flight, the meal services had been completed and cleared up, it was my second beer !) - this poor level of service astounded me. 

Just a couple of weeks ago I flew to Japan, business class. My TV didn't work properly, they didn't have the meal I requested, so I had to go with a second option (no biggie, but it shouldn't happen), the service was otherwise fine but the plane itself was 'dated' and somewhat 'threadbare'.

The return flight was spot on, great service, excellent food and wine, new plane, everything working. 

The experience of Thai does not compare to Emirates. 

I am now left wondering how Thai compares to ANA and JAL on the Japan route as it was quite a busy flight in both directions. 

I'm currently back and forth from Tunisia (and Milan) to Bkk.  Sometimes Thai is booked, sometimes Emirates....Emirates is by far the better ride and much better service.  I cringe if flying Thai...

My perfect airline meal,was on Braniff Airlines,from Bogota  to Dallas,

Shrimp cocktail, Filet steak, and Creme caramel, on china plates and

real knifes and forks,the also had big leather seats,and that was economy,

It was a long time ago,but I have never forgotten it,flying definitely has

gone downhill.

regards worgeordie

It is only a 5-6 hour flightThai response to ridiculous accusations is spot on. They serve a full breakfast prior to arrival, changes have been made to suit people’s needs at Midnight people show up well fed. There are more options at international airports for food and beverage these days. By the way Business class passengers eat in the lounge or already had dinner on these late flights. Then get offered another dinner onboard MOST refuse. 80 percent gets thrown away even after the stews stuff their faces in the galley. The waste of food is criminal

On our last trip to the UK on Emirates, we paid 120,000 Baht for 4 return flights.

I have 700,000 air miles on Thai - had I used them for these flights, the "fees and taxes" would have exceeded that 120,000 Baht. 

Airline is a joke.

Archived