THAI defends food service after passenger complains on Facebook

snoop1130

2 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

oh. ok then.

was it the flight there, or did they manifest on the way back?

On the way there, spent the 1st 2 days in my hotel room shampooing with salt & vinegar, that got rid of the little buggers. Pity really, as I said the food was excellent and had the whole row to myself on a half empty plane but I've never flown with them since.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Evening flight from London (on the 777) to BKK in Sept 2019 was fine for Economy, food was absolutely good for Economy class. The only minor disappointment I've had was 5 or 6 years ago they forgot to heat the breakfast up before serving (quickly got me another), never had any problems on Thai!

10 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

My Evening flight from London (on the 777) to BKK in Sept 2019 was fine for Economy, food was absolutely good for Economy class. The only minor disappointment I've had was 5 or 6 years ago they forgot to heat the breakfast up before serving (quickly got me another), never had any problems on Thai!

I notice a trend here.  The people who actually fly on TG say they are pretty good, and the people who don't say they are the worst airline in the world.  Or someone had a bad lunch 15 years and has never flown them since, so therefore they are the worst airline around.  

Regular flyers appreciate them for what they are - a pretty good regional airline with decent service.  

By the way this was my IFE screen the last time I flew Singapore Airlines to Singapore (and no it wasn't touch screen, the finger was for scale).  It had an even smaller IFE selection than Thai.  Thai flies brand new A350s to SIngapore.  Does that mean I should spout off that SG is the worst airline in the world?  Or did I just happen to pick a flight with one of their older planes?  Food was atrocious too.

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 7.31.15 PM.png

I never knew so many people pick an airline based on the food. Baffles me.  Price, duration, comfort...plus overall safety are my considerations.  If offered food I don't like, I don't eat it.

Also, why do you need to eat while flying? Or so often.

If you get on a flight at midnight, why do you need to snack?

6 hours ago, SheungWan said:

For a short period some time ago, Thai tested out their then new A380s on the BKK-HKG route at bargain prices. It was enough to tempt me back. The seat space was bad (on an A380!) and for the first time ever I returned the food selection as it was pretty bad. For this route there are always alternatives and now I don't even consider Thai when booking. Other than the guys from Perth, what's the point?

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Total agree, today I came back from HKG, and make choice for Cathay Pacific, before I used to fly with Thai, but Cathai have also much more choice about departure times.

54 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Does that mean I should spout off that SG is the worst airline in the world?  Or did I just happen to pick a flight with one of their older planes?  Food was atrocious too.

You have the right logic but wrong conclusion as you have contradicted yourself. 

Your (anecdotal, statistically insignificant) bad experience in SG should have limited impact on informing your view of the airline's performance overall. 

Similarly, your (anecdotal, statistically insignificant, though comparatively more numerous) good experiences on THAI should likewise have limited impact on informing your view of the airline's performance overall

THAI's poor performance is legendary, and, if they were so great, surely they would not be approaching insolvency. 

34 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

You have the right logic but wrong conclusion as you have contradicted yourself. 

Your (anecdotal, statistically insignificant) bad experience in SG should have limited impact on informing your view of the airline's performance overall. 

Similarly, your (anecdotal, statistically insignificant, though comparatively more numerous) good experiences on THAI should likewise have limited impact on informing your view of the airline's performance overall

THAI's poor performance is legendary, and, if they were so great, surely they would not be approaching insolvency. 

Strange I don't see you picking on the posts about "15 years ago I got lice (hmmm really)", or "once a FA was grumpy" or "a FA accidentally brushed me with a teapot" or any of the other dozens of posts about things that happened once, a very long time ago. Surely they also have "limited impact on informing a view of the airline"?  Or perhaps because they are negative they are ok?

Thai won economy class of the year and economy catering of the year last year at the Skytrax awards.  So their poor performance is not legendary.   Again I ask, how often do you fly them internationally?  Give me a real, first hand, relevant experience (preferably more than one like you say) as to why they are so appalling.

Japan airlines won it this year by the way - any thoughts on them?

And I notice once again you neglected to answer any of my direct questions.  Oh well.

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

Strange I don't see you picking on the posts about "15 years ago I got lice (hmmm really)", or "once a FA was grumpy" or "a FA accidentally brushed me with a teapot" or any of the other dozens of posts about things that happened once, a very long time ago. Surely they also have "limited impact on informing a view of the airline"?  Or perhaps because they are negative they are ok?

Thai won economy class of the year and economy catering of the year last year at the Skytrax awards.  So their poor performance is not legendary.   Again I ask, how often do you fly them internationally?  Give me a real experience (preferably more than one like you say) as to why they are so appalling.

Japan airlines won it this year by the way - any thoughts on them?

And I notice once again you neglected to answer any of my direct questions.  Oh well.

Skytrax? ????????

Screenshot_20191008-210620_Chrome.jpg.5137445ecb168ad7a13bac21aa25a9b2.jpg

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2018/02/16/inside-strange-world-skytrax-aviation-rating-organization-probably-shouldnt-trust/

On 10/7/2019 at 7:08 PM, oldhippy said:

Like everything else in Thailand: varies from good to terrible.

When I fly with THAI, I always bring my own sandwiches, somethimes the other passengers envy me, sometimes I throw them in a bin upon arrival.

Quatar , the best for quality food. service, comfort, and price .  Thai air , no thx..

16 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Oh wow, you are really clutching at straws now. Rather than answer any of my questions (again!) you instead pick an article to discredit Skytrax, although it doesn't do a great job at all and pretty much admits they are legit as a passenger survey. 

The article does say though that the Apex awards are better(?). So Thai won last month for best in-flight food at the Apex awards. 

Go ahead, dig up someone discrediting that if you want. But your article itself said the Apex awards are not questionable (and they do usually roughly equate with the Skytrax awards, (why could that be?) Or, perhaps, answer a direct question about what your recent experiences on Thai are and why you hate them. Please, give me something. You are the most frustrating poster on here, never giving facts or first hand experience, and refusing to answer any direct questions. 

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

I notice a trend here.  The people who actually fly on TG say they are pretty good, and the people who don't say they are the worst airline in the world.  Or someone had a bad lunch 15 years and has never flown them since, so therefore they are the worst airline around.  
Regular flyers appreciate them for what they are - a pretty good regional airline with decent service.  

By the way this was my IFE screen the last time I flew Singapore Airlines to Singapore (and no it wasn't touch screen, the finger was for scale).  It had an even smaller IFE selection than Thai.  Thai flies brand new A350s to SIngapore.  Does that mean I should spout off that SG is the worst airline in the world?  Or did I just happen to pick a flight with one of their older planes?  Food was atrocious too.

Some of us had either silver or gold frequent flyer cards with THAI all those years ago before we gave up. Admittedly a long time past. A couple of further points: first is the significant difference between long-haul and regional short haul. Most of us (other than the guys from Perth) have a large choice re long-haul. As for regional short journeys the same certainly applies for a route such as HKG-BKK. For such a short trip as BKK-SIN it probably doesn't matter which airline, but faced with a choice between THAI and Singapore, I would look elsewhere for the Cathay Pacific BKK-SIN option, subject to the flight time being OK and if that didn't fit maybe one of the discount airlines.

2 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

So pensioners who just rely on the pension and have no private pension(super)

can afford to travel 1st class from Australia to Thailand twice a year ? pull

the other leg

Your initial post did not limit it to those who "just rely on the pension and have no private pension(super)", nor did it mention 1st Class, nor did it mention twice a year so now your stretching things just to justify a poor post which I joked about due to the poor syntax.  Other(s) got the joke but you chose to keep on digging even after it was pointed out.  Slow day perhaps?

1 hour ago, La Migra said:

I never knew so many people pick an airline based on the food. Baffles me.  Price, duration, comfort...plus overall safety are my considerations.  If offered food I don't like, I don't eat it.

Also, why do you need to eat while flying? Or so often.

If you get on a flight at midnight, why do you need to snack?

When comparing airlines for making a choice, the food makes a difference particularly when taking a long-haul flight. Even short-haul. All things being equal I will give consideration to the better food provider. And if travelling BC its certainly an issue. All part of the journey being a pleasurable experience rather than an endurance test.

6 minutes ago, treetops said:

Your initial post did not limit it to those who "just rely on the pension and have no private pension(super)", nor did it mention 1st Class, nor did it mention twice a year so now your stretching things just to justify a poor post which I joked about due to the poor syntax.  Other(s) got the joke but you chose to keep on digging even after it was pointed out.  Slow day perhaps?

If you would have read some of my other post you

would have realized that, I mentioned many times

in other topics, and the ones you seen in 1st class

are most properly business men or retired 

business men.

1 minute ago, White Christmas13 said:

If you would have read some of my other post you

would have realized that, I mentioned many times

in other topics, and the ones you seen in 1st class

are most properly business men or retired 

business men.

If I had read any of your other posts that contained as much nonsense as the initial one in this thread I would have commented appropriately or laughed at them too.

Even if premium passengers are "most properly business men or retired business men" (sic) that does not exclude pensioners from being there too.  Get over the fact you posted rubbish.

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Some of us had either silver or gold frequent flyer cards with THAI all those years ago before we gave up. Admittedly a long time past. A couple of further points: first is the significant difference between long-haul and regional short haul. Most of us (other than the guys from Perth) have a large choice re long-haul. As for regional short journeys the same certainly applies for a route such as HKG-BKK. For such a short trip as BKK-SIN it probably doesn't matter which airline, but faced with a choice between THAI and Singapore, I would look elsewhere for the Cathay Pacific BKK-SIN option, subject to the flight time being OK and if that didn't fit maybe one of the discount airlines.

Interesting point. In the past I have been a Thai ROP Gold Card holder. Since, I have been a Gold Card holder of the FF program with Etihad and and more recently Emirates. 

I don't care much for the privileges FF membership provides, I care more for cost vs quality of service - when a better airline offers a better experience on the same route for less its going to impact the airline. 

When flying regionally TG to Singapore is cheaper than with SIN. To Indonesia and Malaysia the flight reliability and service is much better to the point its worth the extra to fly TG. 

To Japan the TG flights are always full so it could be better than JAL and ANA, I don't know though as I've not recently flow with JAL or ANA, but I see a lot of Japanese folk on the TG flights when the prices with JAL and ANA are quite similar. 

To the UK (LHR) TG is competing with BA and EVA who provide solid competition on a route where the 'standard' is somewhat sub-par compared to the ME airlines making the ME stop off a more desirable for many, especially if the final destination LHR (London) is not sufficiently convenient and warrants consideration of a stop off and connection to an alternative UK airport. I imagine the same could be said for many other EU destinations. 

TG get a lot of stick, that may just be 'familiarity breeding contempt' - but a few airlines covering the same routes TG cover seem to do it reliably and more consistently a touch better for a touch less. 

My next 3 or 4 flights will be with Emirates on a route Thai Airway covers, Thai Airways also covers the same route with departure and arrival times which suit me better - but the Emirates experience is just better to warrant traveling with them.

That said, I'm also about to book with TG for early 2020 because while expectations are low, it's not that bad and the price point is similar to ANA and JAL so I may as well go with the devil I know, the flight times are also far more suitable for my family and I. 

As for the food - If I were served a 'pot like that' I too would have issue and complain. 

The only concern I now have (which is rather minute) is if a flippant and arrogant flight attendant tells me I have to 'go and get it myself' when I ask for a second beer a few hours into a flight - Unfortunately 'Thainess' cannot be eradicated from all of the staff, the majority of whom work hard yet are let down by a handful of entitled characters who are most certainly not of a service mind (safety is obviously a more important facet of an FA's job).

It is not the quality of food only, also their arrogant service lacks organisation. Flew in from Europe a few days ago. Appetizer drinks came AFTER dinner was served. We got crackers only before the meal. A second bread roll together with the meal was not allowed and the second serve for this came on the other side only and serving 5 rows only. Purser gave up and started talking for minutes with the other stewards. Ignoring all passengers. Second round for the bread came AFTER all passengers finished eating. Amazing how this service sucks, over and over again. We fly long haul on Thai 5 times a year at least and over the last 10 years. Never ever got a "normal" meal without having something missing/wrong or being "smooth as silk". Yes, Eva is better as well as Qatar is and even British Airways / Lufthansa. However, Thai flies us easily between Europe and Chiang Mai.

1 minute ago, invex said:

It is not the quality of food only, also their arrogant service lacks organisation. Flew in from Europe a few days ago. Appetizer drinks came AFTER dinner was served. We got crackers only before the meal. A second bread roll together with the meal was not allowed and the second serve for this came on the other side only and serving 5 rows only. Purser gave up and started talking for minutes with the other stewards. Ignoring all passengers. Second round for the bread came AFTER all passengers finished eating. Amazing how this service sucks, over and over again. We fly long haul on Thai 5 times a year at least and over the last 10 years. Never ever got a "normal" meal without having something missing/wrong or being "smooth as silk". Yes, Eva is better as well as Qatar is and even British Airways / Lufthansa. However, Thai flies us easily between Europe and Chiang Mai.

If I wanted Europe to Chiang Mai I would probably be travelling with Cathay Pacific.

44 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I agree with a lot of that.  I've been here since 1995 and back in those days and the early 2000's I used to avoid Thai at all costs - didn't fly on them for years.  Old aircraft, bad food, just generally bad and not a patch on their regional competitors such as Cathay or Singapore.

I came back to them 7-8 years ago and they are MUCH improved.  These days, for regional flights, they are as good as anyone and better than most and they are my airline of choice.  Short to mid haul they are great.  (Generally) new planes, good in-flight service, pleasant staff.  Even as far as Japan I would choose Thai.  For anything longer I would not.  Long haul they are just not as good as Emirates, Qatar, Etihad etc.

My issue is with the grumps on here who refuse to acknowledge that Thai are a decent airline to travel on these days.  Not on all routes (especially those that still use the 747), but on most.  This is not 2005, it is 2019 and a lot has changed.  But most of those grumps have not been on an aircraft for years....

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thai Airways seems to have issues with consistency. 

The food is sometimes ok, sometimes its awful. Sometimes the actual plane is ok and other times its old and looks worn. And sometimes the service is fantastic and sometimes its hideous to the point it could make a passenger quite annoyed. 

Last year I complained to the Purser (flight manager) after a flight attendant told me I had to get a beer myself (in economy class - its was about 3 hours into the flight, the meal services had been completed and cleared up, it was my second beer !) - this poor level of service astounded me. 

Just a couple of weeks ago I flew to Japan, business class. My TV didn't work properly, they didn't have the meal I requested, so I had to go with a second option (no biggie, but it shouldn't happen), the service was otherwise fine but the plane itself was 'dated' and somewhat 'threadbare'.

The return flight was spot on, great service, excellent food and wine, new plane, everything working. 

The experience of Thai does not compare to Emirates. 

I am now left wondering how Thai compares to ANA and JAL on the Japan route as it was quite a busy flight in both directions. 

I flew jal from kl to narita last year. Brand new plane. Service great. Economy.

but from narita to US was older plane. Sevice still good tho.

return was the same. Only the narita to kl was new plane. Service always good.

Archived