How to measure the electrical cost of one device

blackcab

I have been set the task of measuring the cost of electricity in baht that a single unit temporary air cooler uses overnight.

What's the easiest way to do this? I know I can buy a simple plug in energy monitor, but I can't seem to find one which accepts a Thai plug and plugs into a Thai wall socket. A picture of the type of thing I had in mind is below.

Any idea where I can get one of these devices that will work in Thailand, or is there another simple way of doing this? I don't mind buying reasonably priced kit.

Screenshot_20191007-232215_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d0a41c120df5a29cbed06075fd35eff1.jpg

The easiest way is to calculate it.  Just look for the label on the unit, it will give you the watts consumed in one hour of operation.  Mine uses 75 watts which is 0.075 kWh.  Multiply that by the noumer of hours in use per day.  I use mine about 10 hours, so 0.)75 x 10 = 0.75.  My KWH charge with VAT averages 4.1 baht.  So 4.1 x 0.75 = 3.1 baht/day. ((wattage on unit x Number of hours use per day)/ 1000) x electric rate per kWh.

Just use adapters for the plugs; the US one will plug into the wall, and use a thai plug strip with “universal” sockets you should be fine, as long as the temporary one is a standard plug.

The other approach is to do it at the panel, but that is over complicating it.

7 hours ago, wayned said:

The easiest way is to calculate it.  Just look for the label on the unit, it will give you the watts consumed in one hour of operation.  Mine uses 75 watts which is 0.075 kWh.  Multiply that by the noumer of hours in use per day.  I use mine about 10 hours, so 0.)75 x 10 = 0.75.  My KWH charge with VAT averages 4.1 baht.  So 4.1 x 0.75 = 3.1 baht/day. ((wattage on unit x Number of hours use per day)/ 1000) x electric rate per kWh.

OMG!  An air cooler that only uses 75 Watts?  What is it, a small fan?

On 10/8/2019 at 8:04 AM, Damrongsak said:

OMG!  An air cooler that only uses 75 Watts?  What is it, a small fan?

It's not an air conditioner, it's an evaporative air cooler.  Basically a three speed fan and a  aquarium pump.

It doesn't seem to be easy to find such a device with proper Thai style socket and plug (saw Schuko and "UK" style plugs).

For a low wattage device you could use adapters/extension cords.

Not hard to find and fairly cheap.

On 10/8/2019 at 4:05 AM, wayned said:

that works ok for a static appliance like that. but with an airconditoner the rating is with the compressor running and the compressor does not necessarily run constantly but will switch on and of during operation as required

15 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

that works ok for a static appliance like that. but with an airconditoner the rating is with the compressor running and the compressor does not necessarily run constantly but will switch on and of during operation as required

So use 30-49% duty cycle.

On 10/7/2019 at 11:23 PM, blackcab said:

Any idea where I can get one of these devices that will work in Thailand, or is there another simple way of doing this? I don't mind buying reasonably priced kit.

AliExpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32914620785.html has the US plug option and is 220V.

Looks awfully like the one pictured in the OP.

I got one in UK which I put a sensor on the mains cables coming into the meter, and it shows the overall consumption. Then could just turn the appliance you want to measure and see how much it goes up. They are available on Amazon & EBAy.

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Just go to the duty free shop at the airport and buy the adapters you need. Not really difficult since their products are all geared toward tourists. You can even take BTS all the way there and back to avoid traffic.

First off, your post has nothing to do with the <old> topic.  But where have you found that you can purchase "duty free" without an international ticket?

Archived