Correct way to swap passport

Hello, how to do a passport swap on flying out? Will go to Vietnam in 2 days, need to exit Thailand with one passport, enter Vietnam with another. I need to check-in for my flight with passport that I want to show in Vietnam, and show another passport (with Thai stamp) to Thai immigration on exit? Can Thai immigration demand to show passport that I used to check-in? I really don't want to show it here. Thanks.

You show both passports to the airline to prove you can enter Vietnam without a visa.

You show the passport you entered the country on to immigration and the will stamp you out of the country in it. They will not ask for your other passport.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You show both passports to the airline to prove you can enter Vietnam without a visa.

You show the passport you entered the country on to immigration and the will stamp you out of the country in it. They will not ask for your other passport.

Why is there a need to show both passports at the airline check-in counter? I thought only one passport was needed to be shown, the one which you will enter that country with, the one which proves that no visa is needed in the destination country.

29 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Why is there a need to show both passports at the airline check-in counter? I thought only one passport was needed to be shown, the one which you will enter that country with, the one which proves that no visa is needed in the destination country.

You need the one you entered the country on to prove you are in the country legally and not on an overstay.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You need the one you entered the country on to prove you are in the country legally and not on an overstay.

I thought immigration only needs to see it. Why does the airline check-in need to see if you have overstayed or not? If overstayed they will hold you there and call immigration to come immediately to detain you to pay the fine?

Edited by bbi1
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I thought immigration only needs to see it. Why does the airline check-in need to see if you have overstayed or not? If overstayed they will hold you there and call immigration to come immediately to detain you to pay the fine?

The want to be sure you can board your flight before checking you in.

They will only ask if you have the money to pay for the overstay.

I am sure there are cases where people are not aware they were on a overstay until they check in for the flight.

I would even say there might of been cases where a person showed up with a expired passport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Totally agree with this, the check in staff are only interested in the PP for which you'll enter the destination on.

Done it loads of times.

42 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Totally agree with this, the check in staff are only interested in the PP for which you'll enter the destination on.

Was that the passport you used to enter the country or a different one?

I entered Thailand on pp #1, when I left I showed pp #2 as that had the visa of the country I was going to. I showed pp #1 to immigration.

Check in staff not interested in pp#1. I only ever show both passports if asked as it’s hard for some staff to understand the ability to have 2 and leads to questions / delays that can be avoided

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Check in staff not interested in pp#1. I only ever show both passports if asked as it’s hard for some staff to understand the ability to have 2 and leads to questions / delays that can be avoided

If they do not ask for the passport you used to enter the country that are really doing their job correctly. It is standard procedure to ask for it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

I entered Thailand on pp #1, when I left I showed pp #2 as that had the visa of the country I was going to. I showed pp #1 to immigration.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

my dual passport daughter does same.

shows thai passport to airline flying out of home country.  Shows home passport to immigration.

flying home she shows home passport to airline, then thai pp to immigration.

well as shes 12 thats what i do.

never once been questioned,  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would like to know why the OP is complicating his/her life with two passports. What advantages does dual passports have, apart from entry into the issuing country?

Being able to go to work in one country while the other passport may be going through visa application for another country is one of the main reasons i have two passports.

It's not complicated.

Flying to Vietnam and showed American PP to check in, they asked how I was going to enter Vietnam so I pulled out my Brit one. No problem.

and why is it good to have two passports.....depending on your nationality some countries won’t accept you, so you use the other one. Back when I was surfing in Morocco some of the South African surfers couldn’t get into the country because of apartheid, so they used another passport. 

I've done this a lot.  I have two British passports, visa for home in Thailand in one and usually a visa for another country in my other passport.

Obviously, you need to fly out with the passport with visa or stamp for Thailand.  However, it is no problem to show the airline that you have another passport with visa to enter another country.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I would like to know why the OP is complicating his/her life with two passports. What advantages does dual passports have, apart from entry into the issuing country?

A person could be a dual national - I know someone who has British and Canadian nationality and passports from both countries.

There are also cases where a person has work in 2 countries who don't "recognise" one another. Example: Your work takes you to Israel 1 month and Saudi Arabia the next.

In that instance, it CAN be possible to have 2 passports from the same country ie 2 British passports. Very very hard to get though.......

Edited by VBF

19 hours ago, Noper said:

I need to check-in for my flight with passport that I want to show in Vietnam, and show another passport (with Thai stamp) to Thai immigration on exit?

Yes, this is correct. As some members wrote - sometimes the check in staff might ask to see the passport you entered Thailand to and it is OK to show them even if you are on overstay. They don't care about your legal status here, only that you can enter your destination country. Usually they will only ask for the entry passport if the exit passport is empty and they get confused as for how you got here. But all they really look for in you passport is a valid visa for your destination if your nationality requires a visa. They don't look for the Thai entry stamp 

34 minutes ago, VBF said:

A person could be a dual national - I know someone who has British and Canadian nationality and passports from both countries.

There are also cases where a person has work in 2 countries who don't "recognise" one another. Example: Your work takes you to Israel 1 month and Saudi Arabia the next.

In that instance, it CAN be possible to have 2 passports from the same country ie 2 British passports. Very very hard to get though.......

You'd be surprised how easy it is to get a second British passport, very very easy.

All you need is a cover letter from a company stating very simply that due to visa applications times & frequent travelling to different countries blah blah blah ( one paragraph ). That is ALL you need along with the standard passport application form. Once you have a 2nd passport once time comes for renewal they want every page of your 'other' passport copied and sent along with the application.

33 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Yes, this is correct. As some members wrote - sometimes the check in staff might ask to see the passport you entered Thailand to and it is OK to show them even if you are on overstay. They don't care about your legal status here, only that you can enter your destination country. Usually they will only ask for the entry passport if the exit passport is empty and they get confused as for how you got here. But all they really look for in you passport is a valid visa for your destination if your nationality requires a visa. They don't look for the Thai entry stamp 

Correct

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

You'd be surprised how easy it is to get a second British passport, very very easy.

All you need is a cover letter from a company stating very simply that due to visa applications times & frequent travelling to different countries blah blah blah ( one paragraph ). That is ALL you need along with the standard passport application form. Once you have a 2nd passport once time comes for renewal they want every page of your 'other' passport copied and sent along with the application.

But not at all easy if you're self-employed and want to flip between contracts........as I found out several years ago! This is, however, essentially :offtopic2:  for this thread.