Panel bans three controversial herbicides effective December 1

webfact

Panel bans three controversial herbicides effective December 1

pn5utqdpt5AcnKpSoCZ-o.jpg

The four-party working committee, set up at the order of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, agreed unanimously today to ban the production, import, sale and use of paraquat glyphosate and chlorpyrifos as of December 1st as a New Year’s gift for the Thai people.

Deputy Agriculture Minister Mananya Thaiseth, who chairs the ad hoc committee, said today that the panel’s decision will be submitted to the Prime Minister and the National Hazardous Substances Committee (NSHC) for consideration.

The NSHC originally scheduled a meeting on October 27th to consider whether to ban the chemicals or to stick to its earlier decision to just restrict their use.  Ms. Mananya said, however, that the committee might have to bring the meeting forward as her panel has already made its decision.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/panel-bans-three-controversial-herbicides-effective-december-1/

thaipbs.jpg

This will be interesting. The shops around me are packed with these products and all local fruit and veg producers use them. This will be as popular as banning riding in the back of a pick-up in my village. Are there similar priced alternatives and will they now hit the shops?

It has only been approved by a panel the governing bodies have to approve the recommendation yet ! don' get your hopes up these chemical companies are very generous with their handouts !!! could change the situation I mean Uncle Tu hasn't quite cleaned up the corruption as yet

From the full report

"She insisted that the Agriculture Technique Department already has information about alternative chemicals, to replace the three toxic substances, as well as agricultural techniques which do not rely on them."

Well please share this info...

5 hours ago, webfact said:

as of December 1st as a New Year’s gift for the Thai people

so all those decades it was ok to knowingly poison the population

rich dudes eat organic, the rest eat that <deleted>

maybe some other controversial medical issues that be finally fought and adapted instead of being classified as anti this or anti that

2 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Finally good news, or at least I hope that it will be definitive or not, as usual only of the political bla bla

There will always be a DRASTIC U-Turn and brown envelopes in the mix, wanna bet??.

3 hours ago, Arjen said:

Very good. We all know now how bad these chemicals are for us. 

Continuing using them is same as continuing to allow to transport people in the back of a pick-up. 

Arjen

And just as inconvenient for the Thai poor who are always the losers and frequently have no options. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.  Very difficult.

Good  news. The problem will be that copious existing stocks will be  hidden away  for preferential  buyers until such time they are finished.

But at least Thailand is acknowledging the  global rejection of these products so lucrative in profit to the manufacturers who have long known they have been callously and insidiously poisoning everything and  everyone.

It remains to be  seen if proposed alternatives do not prove to  be as bad.

I still remember the claims so blatantly expressed by Monsanto about the  harmlessness of  glysophate or the  failure to mention the extra hazardous carcogenic additive to that when vegetation started to demonstrate resistance.

What you don't know  will not harm you.......until it does !

2 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

And just as inconvenient for the Thai poor who are always the losers and frequently have no options. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.  Very difficult.

They have options. But probably it will mean a return to some hard graft instead of watching weeds wither from a safe distance!

There is still a good percentage of farmers who still do crop weed control manually. Sadly their soil still  gets  contaminated  from neighbors near and far who do not .

16 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I still remember the claims so blatantly expressed by Monsanto about the  harmlessness of  glysophate or the  failure to mention the extra hazardous carcogenic additive to that when vegetation started to demonstrate resistance.

2 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

the Agriculture Technique Department already has information about alternative chemicals, to replace the three toxic substances

An easy solution would be to just exchange the brand labels on the products....

I am still not convinced that glysophate is dangerous enough to require banning. Certainly educate or even licence users and maybe ban its use on vegetables but does it need a blanket ban. I am currently using it on my orchard to spot spray invasive weeds. I tried manually grubbing these out but could not keep up. I also hope that the local roading authority has some sort of plan in place as I  have been happy to spray my 600metres of roadside twice a year but I am not going to employ labour for a couple of days to do the work. I am still waiting to see what is being advised as a replacement for this product. 

15 minutes ago, KIWILEE said:

I am still not convinced that glysophate is dangerous enough to require banning. Certainly educate or even licence users and maybe ban its use on vegetables but does it need a blanket ban. I am currently using it on my orchard to spot spray invasive weeds. I tried manually grubbing these out but could not keep up. I also hope that the local roading authority has some sort of plan in place as I  have been happy to spray my 600metres of roadside twice a year but I am not going to employ labour for a couple of days to do the work. I am still waiting to see what is being advised as a replacement for this product. 

What I do is water then put a plastic tarp for 3 weeks to kill weeds and seeds. Then I plant a non invasive (for me) crop. I experimented with Chinese morning glory and it seems to works fine for now. There is plenty of other possibility.

Nature don't like bare soil so you need to find something that fit your need while covering the soil. Mung beans come to mind since it fix nitrogen but I'm not sure about the height since I did not plant it yet. 

There is a rubber plantation not far from me and they use 5 cows to keep the weeds short instead of paraquat. That's pretty smart. 

If you don't like plant then use concrete. 

13 hours ago, Lungstib said:

This will be interesting. The shops around me are packed with these products and all local fruit and veg producers use them. This will be as popular as banning riding in the back of a pick-up in my village. Are there similar priced alternatives and will they now hit the shops?

See my post. No need for glysophate and it is cheaper to make and safe to use.

10 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

There is NO excuse for putting safety first! 

Archived