PM Prayut asks all to quit drinking for this End of Buddhist Lent

webfact

PM asks all to quit drinking for this End of Buddhist Lent

96bc07333944cbde72c9fab7f707c940.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Prime Minister has participated in a promotional activity for an alcohol-free End of Buddhist Lent and Kathin festival, urging all to refrain from temptations for the good of their health and family life.

Prior to the Cabinet’s meeting, Prime Minister and Minister of Defence Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, participated in a promotional activity for the Ministry of Culture’s End of Buddhist Lent festivities, in which he observed a demonstration of Rup Bua lotus throwing, the Tak Baht Thewo alms giving ceremony, the Chak Phra ceremony, Tod Pha Pa ceremony, Long Boat race, Candle boat sailing, and cultural performances.

He then observed an exhibition promoting the true traditions of the Kathin festival free of alcohol, held by the Ministry of Public Health and its partners, to promote the subsequent Kathin festival after Buddhist Lent as an alcohol-free occasion, by raising awareness among the general public that alcohol consumption should not be included in the noble traditions of Buddhism, as alcohol harms the health, life, and property.

The Prime Minister listened to letters from students who have successfully convinced their fathers to quit drinking. He then asked all people to refrain from drinking and other vices as a homage to His Majesty the King and for their health, epecially on every religious and other important days. He also delivered merit making money for the Kathin festival.

The Prime Minister also joined in the promotional activity for the Digital Thailand Big Bang 2019 event held in keeping with the ASEAN Connectivity theme, presenting robots as friends in the future. The event will take place on 28th-31st October 2019 at BITEC Bang Na exhibition center in Bangkok.

nnt.jpg

Me and my Thai missus won’t be quitting drinking as some meaningless gesture to make ourselves look like decent people, but we do promise to never partake in corruption or smuggle heroin, etc. 

Good people go about their business quietly. As soon as they start to show off how good they are, they’re hiding something. 

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:

This is his solution to the daily road kill?  Why not just create a police force?

There is already one. A police force by itself doesn't do anything. In my country they need to give them a living wage and some discipline so they get motivated. 

14 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Ah, wise words from the more holly than thou, green, wet blanket.  A whiskey sour for me and a Shirley Temple for the general.   Make his a double. 

I never knew the general was aware of the restaurant in the Shirley area of Birmingham (UK):

image.png.d534ad36cf724be8940f6c5307cb39f0.png

All jokes aside, it's a nice idea, but surely he could have asked the Chief Medical Officer to make this announcement?

Additionally, some advice on how people might stop drinking alcohol, & where to get help, would be far better.

Right, just going for a quick snifter of Bluesofa's home made Durian Voddy. :laugh:

????

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I wonder if they would stop drinking with a change of government ? 

When you look at the road fatality numbers, they don't stop even when their LIFE depends on it!

1 minute ago, faraday said:

All jokes aside, it's a nice idea, but surely he could have asked the Chief Medical Officer to make this announcement?

Additionally, some advice on how people might stop drinking alcohol, & where to get help, would be far better.

Right, just going for a quick snifter of Bluesofa's home made Durian Voddy. :laugh:

????

The last batch took ages to strain through my underpants, but it's almost ready now.

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

The last batch took ages to strain through my underpants, but it's almost ready now.

True story...

Long ago, think I was about 25 in a local village pub, a group of rugby players were having a monumental drinking session.

There was a 'lock in' & around 11.30 pm, they decided that drinking some Rum through someone's sock was a good idea.

A stripper was also involved....:crazy:

53 minutes ago, upena said:

No such thing as Buddhist Lent.

I thought there was but that it only applied to monks. If that is the case then the PM should be preaching primarily to the monks and telling them to keep off the turps for their Lent period. 

10 minutes ago, faraday said:

????

Very well put.  Alcohol addiction is lethal and ruins families.  And you are correct, cha cha might have done this with the AA with some finesse.  

Use to live near the one in Chiang Mai and I have a friend who is 50 years sober.  Quite fond of alcohol, but it does not like me much, so I refrain more and more.  

Durian Vodka  sounds lovely.  Found raspberry flavored in duty free in Malaysia.  It too was lovely.   

Archived