Trump threatens Turkey with 'extremely decimated economy' over Syria

webfact

Trump threatens Turkey with 'extremely decimated economy' over Syria

By Humeyra Pamuk and Daren Butler

2019-10-07T184124Z_3_LYNXMPEF960E9_RTROPTP_4_SYRIA-SECURITY-TURKEY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: An American soldier walks near a Turkish military vehicle during a joint U.S.-Turkey patrol, near Tel Abyad, Syria September 8, 2019. REUTERS/Rodi Said/File Photo

WASHINGTON/ISTANBUL (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Monday launched a harsh attack on NATO ally Turkey, threatening to destroy its economy if Ankara takes a planned military strike in Syria too far even though the U.S. leader himself has opened the door for a Turkish incursion.

Trump said he would "totally destroy and obliterate" Turkey's economy if it took action in Syria that he considered "off-limits" following his decision on Sunday to pull out U.S. forces from northeastern Syria.

The U.S. withdrawal will leave Kurdish-led forces in Syria that have long allied with Washington vulnerable to a planned incursion by the Turkish military which brands them terrorists.

Trump's stern words seemed to be aimed at placating critics who accused him of abandoning the Syrian Kurds by pulling out U.S. forces. Leaders from both parties and both houses of Congress joined in the criticism, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Trump's fellow Republican.

"As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I've done before!)" Trump tweeted.

Speaking later at the White House, Trump said he had told President Tayyip Erdogan in a phone call that Turkey could suffer the "wrath of an extremely decimated economy" if it acted in Syria in a way that was not "humane."

In Ankara, Erdogan told reporters he planned to visit Washington to meet with Trump in the first half of November. He said the two leaders would discuss plans for a "safe zone" in Syria, and added that he hoped to resolve a dispute over F-35 fighter jets during his visit.

Turkey's lira slid more than 2% to its lowest level in more than a month against the dollar on Monday over concerns about the planned incursion into northern Syria and Trump's warning.

Investors have been closely watching tense ties between Ankara and Washington in recent months, with the countries at odds over a range of issues, including Syria and Turkey's purchase of Russian missile defence systems.

Turkey has repeatedly threatened to carry out an incursion against U.S.-backed Kurdish fighters in northeastern Syria who have links to Kurdish guerrillas operating next door in Turkey.

The United States began pulling troops back from the northeast Syrian border on Monday, effectively giving Turkey a green light to move into the area.

Earlier on Monday, Trump said the United States should leave others from European allies to Iranian foes, "to figure the situation out" in the region.

He wrote on Twitter that "it is time for us to get out of these ridiculous Endless Wars, many of them tribal, and bring our soldiers home. WE WILL FIGHT WHERE IT IS TO OUR BENEFIT, AND ONLY FIGHT TO WIN. Turkey, Europe, Syria, Iran, Iraq, Russia and the Kurds will now have to figure the situation out."

'STAB IN THE BACK'

It is a major policy shift that was denounced as a "stab in the back" by Kurdish-led forces who have been Washington's most capable partners in fighting Islamic State in Syria, also known by its acronym ISIS.

U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat, called on Trump to "reverse this dangerous decision" to withdraw, saying in a statement that it threatened regional security and sent a message to Iran and Russia, as well as U.S. allies, that the United States is no longer a trusted partner.

McConnell, the Republican Senate leader, said in a statement: "A precipitous withdrawal of U.S. forces from Syria would only benefit Russia, Iran, and the Assad regime. And it would increase the risk that ISIS and other terrorist groups regroup."

Lindsey Graham, a Republican senator who is generally a vocal Trump supporter, on the Fox News Channel criticized the Syria pullout decision as "impulsive."

France warned that the U.S. decision to withdraw from northeastern Syria could open the door to a revival of Islamic State, which has suffered significant battlefield losses to a U.S.-led coalition in the area.

The United States expects Turkey to take responsibility for captive Islamic State fighters in northeastern Syria if Ankara's planned incursion seizes areas where the detained militants are held, a senior State Department official said.

The captives are held in SDF facilities south of a safe zone initially proposed by Turkey.

Aside from Trump's threat, the State Department official and the Pentagon both said the United States did not endorse Turkey's planned offensive.

"We made it clear (to the Turks) that we do not support this operation," the official told reporters. "We think this operation is a very bad idea."

A U.S. official said Turkey had been removed from a military mechanism used to coordinate air operations over northern Syria and that Turkey would no longer have access to U.S. intelligence and surveillance feeds in the region.

U.S. relations with Turkey under Trump have been rocky.

Last year, he imposed tariffs on Turkish steel and aluminium products over Ankara's detention of a U.S. pastor whose case was supported by members of his Christian conservative base.

Graphic on where Kurds live -

KURDS.jpg

(Reporting by Humeyra Pamuk and Daren Butler; Additional reporting by Orhan Coskun, Can Sezer, Tuvan Gumrukcu and Ece Toksabay and Ezgi Erkoyunlu in Turkey, Tom Perry in Beirut and Makini Brice and Phil Stewart in Washington; Writing by Alistair Bell; Editing by Howard Goller)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-08

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just can't see how Trump respecting a foreign nations sovereignty and pulling out troops that never should have been there in the first place is a yet another reason to bash him. Peace is still a good thing, right? Good luck to the Syrians sorting out their own problems. Stop droning and displacing poor Syrian kids like 44 did - this has Nobel written all over it.

Ahhh the problem is abandonding allies in the fight against isis to be murderd by the Turks just so you know and also acting on such an important matter without expert help you know the infamous gut 

Trump won’t be around long enough to so much as check the US Dollar / Turkish Lira exchange rate.

He’s on his way out the door.

This latest Trump decision on Syria a parting gift to Putin.

Though I don’t dismiss the possibility that he’ll once again try to lift sanctions on Russia before he goes.

Trump’s treason is in plain sight.

Trump has been falling all over Turkeys Dictator, er, whatever. Letting Turkish security forces beat up protesters in the US, and what fun. However suddenly some conservative senators mention that Turkey has been helping ISIS on the sly for years.

Turkey has no need to worry, give it six minutes and he is off to another tangent and who knows if he will catch that train of thought again.

1 hour ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Good luck to the Syrians sorting out their own problems. Stop droning and displacing poor Syrian kids like 44 did - this has Nobel written all over

Always nice to see the ISIS support brigade stating their beliefs, no need to play coy. But tough times for your boys ...

Two British ISIS extremists who were notorious members of "The Beatles" beheading gang with executioner Jihadi John have been caught in Syria,

Oh my, oh no!  ????

41 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Trump won’t be around long enough to so much as check the US Dollar / Turkish Lira exchange rate.

He’s on his way out the door.

This latest Trump decision on Syria a parting gift to Putin.

Though I don’t dismiss the possibility that he’ll once again try to lift sanctions on Russia before he goes.

I stand corrected, Trump’s next move is not trying to lift sanctions on Russia, he’s planning something far more dangerous:

https://foreignaffairs.house.gov/_cache/files/4/6/46136e03-1d92-431b-aa31-7d20d2f266f9/5B01C6DD219BB03F508CB4377B03183E.ele-letter-to-o-brien-open-skies-treaty-final.pdf

10 minutes ago, ezzra said:

"I don't give a damn, laddie. Until the actual moment, when they cut me down, I shall still be looking to win. And the gods of war are fickle at best."...

David Gemmell

You do realize that this is a "fictional" quote, from a fantasy novel ("Legend"), "spoken" an imaginary person. The author of the novel is David Gemmell.

Any man who must say, ‘I am the king,’ is no true king. I’ll make sure you understand that when I’ve won your war for you.

-Game of Thrones (TV show)

I suppose much of this is in line with current US foreign policy in that the Kurds dont spend the billions of petro dollars on arms like the Saudi's so dont rate on the friendly scale. The Turks however, do buy a lot of US military equipment. Having been dropped in the spit by George H and then by George W the Kurds must be feeling pretty dissed off at being left to their own defence against both Syria and Turkey. Walking away from foreign wars sounds good and easy until you remember that the US caused all this mess in the first place by invading Iraq. 

Trump did this without talking to allies, Congress, Pentagon, Fox News.... just phone call with Turkey. I would not be surprised if Trumps "threat" to destroy Turkey was worked out beforehand. "Don't worry... you just go on with cleansing. I'll huff and puff, but pay that no mind.."

Really ?  North Korea and Iran and Cuba seemed to have survived without America's trade or assistance. Turkey is supposedly a friend, NATO ally, etc... Make a deal with them.

FWIW, guess buying a Russian air defense system was a valid choice.

What could go wrong? I mean it's not like Turkey will wage genocide and ethnic cleansing? I mean they' ve never done that before...

-producer shouting ARMENIA in my ear-

Nevermind. Let's go to Stormy for today's weather forecast.

Tucker Carlson is all in on the president's decision; probably hoping he doesn't change his mind?

Secretary of Defense Mattis resigned over this, hopefully he will break his silence.

Current Defense Secretary Esper did tweet in oppostion to this, but he quickly retracted that tweet.

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

Trump did this without talking to allies, Congress, Pentagon, Fox News.... just phone call with Turkey. I would not be surprised if Trumps "threat" to destroy Turkey was worked out beforehand. "Don't worry... you just go on with cleansing. I'll huff and puff, but pay that no mind.."

That sounds about right.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/conflict-of-interest-donald-trump-syria-kurds-turkey-235239996.html

The stable genius hard at work to make the world a better place. Others have been admitted to a mental care facility for displaying a far less troubling state of mind.

Declaring him unfit for office is clearly the way to go; it would also solve the GOP's looming impeachment dilemma.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Trump said he would "totally destroy and obliterate" Turkey's economy if it took action in Syria that he considered "off-limits" following his decision on Sunday to pull out U.S. forces from northeastern Syria.

So trump stabs the USA Kurd allies in the back and then issues his usual empty threats. 

It has been well established that Trump will toss you under the bus the moment you are not useful to him anymore. It is just who he is and what he is made of.

Abandoning allies in a time of need is not smart, no way to  build trust with other allies and bad policy. Now, he is facing alot of criticism, even from key members of his own party. He feels he has to say something. More nonsense.

Threatening to cripple to economy of a key ally, with a huge economy? Did he consult with anyone who has a higher IQ than his own 94? I seriously doubt it. Just more inane foreign policy from the blind neophyte. 

4 hours ago, Tug said:

Ahhh the problem is abandonding allies in the fight against isis to be murderd by the Turks just so you know and also acting on such an important matter without expert help you know the infamous gut 

An American expert was interviewed on the BBC World Service this morning. He explains exactly why this was the wrong strategy on top of previous wrong strategies.

He came across as a real expert, logical, knowledgeable and non political. He didn't rant against Trump or anyone else. He presented the facts and why this is the wrong thing to do, especially treating allies like this, knowing full well Turkey's leader and his regime cannot be trusted.

You'd think the POTUS would listen to experts like this, and all his security advisers. Not the Donald! All done on whatever idea comes into his head and what mood he's in! 

This isn't going to end well - for the Kurds, or for future allies trusting the US.

5 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I just can't see how Trump respecting a foreign nations sovereignty and pulling out troops that never should have been there in the first place is a yet another reason to bash him. Peace is still a good thing, right? Good luck to the Syrians sorting out their own problems. Stop droning and displacing poor Syrian kids like 44 did - this has Nobel written all over it.

If you think that this has “Nobel written all over it”... you has serious reading problems

23 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

An American expert was interviewed on the BBC World Service this morning. He explains exactly why this was the wrong strategy on top of previous wrong strategies.

He came across as a real expert, logical, knowledgeable and non political. He didn't rant against Trump or anyone else. He presented the facts and why this is the wrong thing to do, especially treating allies like this, knowing full well Turkey's leader and his regime cannot be trusted.

You'd think the POTUS would listen to experts like this, and all his security advisers. Not the Donald! All done on whatever idea comes into his head and what mood he's in! 

This isn't going to end well - for the Kurds, or for future allies trusting the US.

Subject area expertise is not something that is given value in 45's white house. The only thing that is given value there is complete personal loyalty to 45. To him, the state is him. Using his style -- So Much Damage!

Archived