Trump threatens Turkey with 'extremely decimated economy' over Syria

webfact

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, johnnybangkok said:

There's nothing more dangerous than a man backed into a corner, looking for any possible way out. 

If it's not here it'll be Iran. Anything to change the narrative from impeachment.

This is when he's at his most dangerous.

Yes and no. There really is no domestic base (not including Russian and Iranian spies, etc.) for throwing the Kurds under the bus. Not from the right, left, or center! 45 has basically impeached himself in the house and brought them to a point where they really have no choice but to impeach. With this development, it's beginning to feel like he's starting to beg to be convicted by the senate as well. It's well known that senate support of 45 is mostly transactional. We'll put up with your bizarre antics as long as you give us what we want (trash Obamacare, tax cuts for the rich, right wing judges, etc.). But one of things the republicans senators want is to not throw the Kurds under the bus. This is giving them an excuse to jump ship from the Trump Train. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes and no. There really is no domestic base (not including Russian and Iranian spies, etc.) for throwing the Kurds under the bus. Not from the right, left, or center! 45 has basically impeached himself in the house and brought them to a point where they really have no choice but to impeach. With this development, it's beginning to feel like he's starting to beg to be convicted by the senate as well. It's well known that senate support of 45 is mostly transactional. We'll put up with your bizarre antics as long as you give us what we want (trash Obamacare, tax cuts for the rich, right wing judges, etc.). But one of things the republicans senators want is to not throw the Kurds under the bus. This is giving them an excuse to jump ship from the Trump Train. 

I don't think that the Kurdish issue has all that much (any?) resonance with Trump's base. So it's extremely dubious that Republican senators would vote for impeachment based on this. 

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't disagree but my comment was more about changing the media coverage than anything else. 

We all know Trump is great at re-directing the media and since this does not make any sense whatsoever (to include your reasons) one can only surmise it's to change the narrative.

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I don't think that the Kurdish issue has all that much (any?) resonance with Trump's base. So it's extremely dubious that Republican senators would vote for impeachment based on this. 

Maybe not with his hard core base but many of the republican senators are not really part of that base. They're just playing along out of fear and transactional benefit. I think this is the kind of issue along with Romney's leadership that can potentially create enough support for conviction. Not saying it's likely but it's becoming more easy to consider as in the realm of the possible. 

Of course if it comes to that point where 45 thinks he will be convicted, I bet he would resign before that (or even before impeachment) the same as Nixon. He has such a big ego I really can't imagine he could handle being known as the first and only president removed by impeachment conviction. 

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

You do realize that this is a "fictional" quote, from a fantasy novel ("Legend"), "spoken" an imaginary person. The author of the novel is David Gemmell.

Any man who must say, ‘I am the king,’ is no true king. I’ll make sure you understand that when I’ve won your war for you.

-Game of Thrones (TV show)

Any man who must say, ‘I am the king,’ is no true king " this doesn't apply to Trump, when he says he's the king, yes, we have to agree, he's the king of stupidity

the man (Trump) has been trying so hard to win the Nobel Peace Price by trying to make a deal with NK, Iran, Russia, etc., he also was looking for the Time magazine cover, asked favor after favor for people to vote for him and all went down the pipes, one has to understand his frustrations and mood swings/bursts, so sad to have a POTUS like that 

6 hours ago, a340bangla1 said:

Stable genius with great and unmatched wisdom.

Unbelievable. And he is the president of the US.

Straight from the horses rear end from the one person in the whole world who knows more about everything than any other person, living or dead.

Coming soon to a bookshop near you, via multiple chat shows the latest (ghost written) book.

How to lose friends and allies and upset nations world wide in one easy lesson. 

21 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

For him it is "to go" and refers to a bucket of KFC!

Heard that a few weeks ago his aide told him two Brazillian tourists had been injured in a huge train accident.

Send them medical aid and cash,  he said, and,  by the way how much is a brazillion??

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

So trump stabs the USA Kurd allies in the back and then issues his usual empty threats. 

To be fair, he did leave them some hope.  If they can dig up some dirt on Joe Biden then he'll send the US military back to help them. 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Trump threatens Turkey with 'extremely decimated economy' over Syria

Turkey's economy is just about stuffed as it is. Whatever Trump thinks he might do won't matter an iota. Except that it might scupper any Turkish/Thailand EEC investment plans.

Somkid has not long been over there doing a slick used car salesman job on Turkey hoping to induce them to invest in the EEC. Thailand's is scraping the bottom of the foreign investment barrel with Turkey.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

The Lord hath spoken, seems he will be getting a second crucifixtion though, Oh dear, never mind.

That sounds more like something that the Wizard of Oz would have said. What does that say about his mental state? I can say with certainty that no American president has ever spoken with such totally BIZARRE self glorification and it's very unlikely there will be another one in future (that is if there are American presidents after him). 

58 minutes ago, ToddinChonburi said:

So many military minded posters in here please share what the real  strategy is. You should listen to the Generals on this one.

Well certainly Trump should have but he ignored the Pentagons advice. He is a very wise genius and so always knows best you see !!!

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That sounds more like something that the Wizard of Oz would have said. What does that say about his mental state? I can say with certainty that no American president has ever spoken with such totally BIZARRE self glorification and it's very unlikely there will be another one in future (that is if there are American presidents after him). 

I know us Brits are somewhat more reserved but if any public figure , let alone our prime minister , spoke in such a fashion , there would be absolute outrage , he would be gone within the week.

38 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

"in my great and unmatched wisdom"

Ok I thought that was a bit much....but it sure served its purpose...to wind

people up and aggravate their TDS. Hahahaha

So I assume you are still proud of this bumbling idiot, who can not piece 2 sentences together and who basically just gave the "okay" for Turkey to kill the Kurds!

What fun!

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

He has such a big ego I really can't imagine

This is not Watergate or Monica.

He is a true "historical" monster.

His ego is what prevents him from imagining "just walking away".

His sort never do.

It's what leads, ultimately, inevitably, to their complete destruction.

The problem for the people of the United States of America (as it was for the people of past, now vanished, "Great States") is who else, what else and how much else he involves in his self-destruction.

"Götterdämmerung"?

Unfortunately, for the people of the United States of America, a seemingly large percentage of them also lack sufficient imagination, intelligence, knowledge, wisdom, and perhaps most importantly....humility, to see the ultimate, inevitable, outcome of their folly.

That's how he got there in the first place.

I know us Brits are somewhat more reserved but if any public figure , let alone our prime minister , spoke in such a fashion , there would be absolute outrage , he would be gone within the week.
This one should have been gone long ago but unfortunately the republicans care more about staying in power than doing the painfully necessary thing for the country.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

So I assume you are still proud of this bumbling idiot, who can not piece 2 sentences together and who basically just gave the "okay" for Turkey to kill the Kurds!

What fun!

He's a doer not just a talker like the guy before him.

He is keeping his promises....to get America out of other people's

business. Not a good idea to stay embroiled in islamic countries and 

being party to their infighting. Let them sort it out on their own.

We have already seen what happened to Russia in Afghanistan.

It is being reported that the Erdogan played Trump during their most recent call, and Trump blinked. He immediately issued this evacuation order without consulting anyone.

Maybe he'll throw in Enes Kanter and a cleric to be named later?

2 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

another "whistleblower"?

The call is coming from inside the House.

No whistleblower(s), just insiders (leakers) worried about the president's aberrent behavior.

How Erdogan Backed Trump Into a Corner on Syria

Like a lot of the president’s tweets, that’s not entirely accurate. The new U.S. posture in northeastern Syria is a response to the obduracy of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, U.S. officials tell me, who was unmoved by the pleading and pressure of U.S. diplomats and generals to forgo a planned invasion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-10-07/u-s-withdrawal-from-syria-erdogan-backed-trump-into-a-corner

Archived