Three students dead, 19 injured in nighttime smash on Lampang hill

webfact

SOLUTION #1: Do you guys think that all mini-vans should have a governor (speed cap) installed to max speed of vans at 90kmh? Surely, someone could get a change.org petition drafted for Thai citizens to sign. Of course, it would be important to detail how many people have died or been injured by mini-vans in the past 5 years and to give stats on what percentage of those accidents were due to speeding? 

According to the State of Thai Society (Q2/2019), Thailand still ranks #1 for road accidents in SE Asia with 50% of accidents caused by cutting off drivers, speeding and tail-gating (driving very close). 

The problem in Thailand is the process of getting a drivers license. Unlike the West, where you can only take your written Drivers License exam at a government office of transport, in Thailand you can take the written test at a PRIVATE driver school. The problem with this is that the instructors give you the answers to the test!!! This is why Thai's are so reckless. Many of them are willing to pay the 4000-5000THB to pass the written (and driving test) easily at a private driving school instead of actually studying and taking the test at a government building.

SOLUTION #2: Ban all driving schools from testing/certifying. Driving schools should only be for "tutoring" about driving and test taking, but all people should be required to take the written and demonstrative driving exams at a government building. 

Agree or Disagree? 

There’s no point even discussing options.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the local police franchisees, offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, or semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do. Also, I remember my Mom telling me about courtesy, pulling over for emergency vehicles, and being kind and respectful to other drivers. Do the locals ever hear anything like that?

I see people driving here, with their families in the car, and doing things, and taking the kinds of risks no rational or sane person with common sense would do. What for? To gain one minute? Why take those risks? What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes, or change lanes to avoid him. I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me. So, if he had waited two seconds, he would have had completely safe passage onto the highway. What gives? Where is the intelligence, caution, and prudence? Where is the common sense? What about just the survival instinct? 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the local police franchisees, offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, or semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do. Also, I remember my Mom telling me about courtesy, pulling over for emergency vehicles, and being kind and respectful to other drivers. Do the locals ever hear anything like that?

I see people driving here, with their families in the car, and doing things, and taking the kinds of risks no rational or sane person with common sense would do. What for? To gain one minute? Why take those risks? What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes, or change lanes to avoid him. I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me. So, if he had waited two seconds, he would have had completely safe passage onto the highway. What gives? Where is the intelligence, caution, and prudence? Where is the common sense? What about just the survival instinct? 

Your last sentence, there’s none of that here.

It’s a jungle out there, every man for himself...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There is effectively no traffic enforcement in Thailand. To reduce deaths it has to be multi layered approach. 1) Train and equip 5,000 police motorcycles for traffic enforcement. 2) make all motorbikes abide by same rules as cars. No passing between lanes or filtering through traffic to get to the front. Enforce the helmet law! 3) Fix all the potholes. We probably lose a couple thousand that crash from bad roads then get run over.

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

"Where" you might reasonably ask ,indeed. Following numerous examples of this complete lack of sense in so many facets of Thai life my friends and I were discussing The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins and we jokingly came up with the theory that there might exist a "Thick Gene". Now we wonder about the saying 'many a true word is spoken in jest'...

On 10/8/2019 at 1:11 PM, trainman34014 said:

RIP those lost.

Must be fair to say the Minibus was overloaded for a start, no doubt being driven at the usual lightening speed by a reckless/drunk/drugged up/ plain useless driver.  Drivers of Public Utility Vehicles here just don't seem to have any thoughts about the safety of their passengers; like did he tell everyone on board to fasten their seatbelts before setting off ?

You would think the amount of carnage they see on TV would make them think twice about their driving techniques, but it just doesn't seem to sink into whatever small amount of grey matter they have.

The family in the MG have painted an entirely different picture  !   Lol.

it's a white on the night

22 hours ago, Crocbait said:

I'll raise my hand. When I was young I did exactly that. Unlit winding highway in Australia and was blinded by an oncoming bus and plowed into the back of an old farm truck carrying tomatoes. Truck had no lights on the back. i wasn't speeding, drunk or on drugs! Luckily not hurt, but the car was mess.

Squashed Tomatoes?

My wife said it for years and it took years to sink into my head

They don't know, and they don't care.

everytime you see/hear something hear that makes your head spin around just say the above phrase

20 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

My wife said it for years and it took years to sink into my head

They don't know, and they don't care.

everytime you see/hear something hear that makes your head spin around just say the above phrase

Life is cheap in some communities.

• 3 weeks later...

one of many reasons for the accident  bad lights for sure too fast and many more. this is thailand and the roads can be dangerous at night.i don,t mind in  town at night but outside of town dark and can be dangerous on a scooter or a car.better to not drive and i have done many times

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Front seat = suicide seat!

You aint lying brotha!!!!  Was my first time..I did a cooking demo in Bkk and was sent down south about a job for a 4 hr drive.....then the floods hit.....was long ago but will never forget that white knuckle ride...whew!!!

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Front seat = suicide seat!

o

On 10/8/2019 at 9:40 AM, Vacuum said:

Let's say that he was doing 60-70 km/h, and looking at the state of the mini van suggests that the driver must have done some serious speeding.

On 10/8/2019 at 11:57 AM, Matzzon said:

How is it possible to hit the rear of another driving truck and cause such damage?

Bear in mind that is the state of the van after the passengers had been released i.e. after rescue services had had a go at it which, more than likely, involved cutting away bodywork.

Archived