Driving license point deduction system to be introduced in mid-December

webfact

Driving license point deduction system to be introduced in mid-December

2.jpg

A point deduction system, designed to improve the discipline of drivers, is tentatively scheduled to be introduced for motorists and motorcyclists in mid-December. It is hoped that the system will help to reduce road fatalities and injuries each year by 2,000-4,000.

Pol Col Aekkarach Limsangkart, deputy commander of Highways Police Command, explained that each licenced driver will be given a maximum of 12 points. Each time the driver commits a traffic law violation, points will be electronically deducted. When there are no points left, the driver’s license will be suspended for 90 days, after which the driver or motorcyclist will have to undergo training administered by the Land Transport Department to get their licence topped up with another 12 points.  Those who refuse to attend the training, however, will have their licence returned, but with only 8 points.

Points to be deducted differ, depending on the offence. Offences are divided into four categories:

– One point deduction is applied for the following offences:  using a cell-phone while driving; exceeding the speed limit; not wearing crash helmets for motorcyclists; not wearing seat belts; not giving way to emergency vehicles, riding on the sidewalk and not stopping for pedestrians on zebra crossings.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/driving-license-point-deduction-system-to-be-introduced-in-mid-december/

thaipbs.jpg

1 hour ago, webfact said:

One point deduction is applied for the following offences:  using a cell-phone while driving; exceeding the speed limit; not wearing crash helmets for motorcyclists; not wearing seat belts; not giving way to emergency vehicles, riding on the sidewalk and not stopping for pedestrians on zebra crossings.

So I can only commit these offences 12 times before re-training?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A point deduction system, designed to improve the discipline of drivers

I'm addition to whatever useless laws the Thais put on paper, culture mandates that the following Thais are tacitly understood to be exempt:

1. Thais with money 

2. Thais driving Mercs or higher 

3. Thais leveraging familial connections 

4. Sad, wai-ing Thais with little money

5. Thais in government 

6. Thai village chiefs 

So the owner of the car gets points on his or her record because some one else but them the owner say like wife-husband or kids was speeding in their vehicle? How will they do that? Same on a motorcycle. If running a red light, and have helmet, who is the perpetrator? 

26 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

So the owner of the car gets points on his or her record because some one else but them the owner say like wife-husband or kids was speeding in their vehicle? How will they do that? Same on a motorcycle. If running a red light, and have helmet, who is the perpetrator? 

Common in many jurisdictions. The owner get a letter advising them of the offence and they can accept it or nominate a different driver. A friend/relative who lives overseas is always a convenient one as some police forces will not bother chasing overseas for the driver, however if they come to visit they many be flagged at immigration.

33 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

What's the problem? Does actually make it way easier than in western countries. If you don't trust somebody to follow the rules don't borrow them your vehicle.

People could now of course start registering their vehicles on their 80 year old grandparents who don't drive anymore anyway to avoid getting these points on their license. But this might cause problems when these people die, the vehicle is considered their property and this property will be shared between the heirs, so i don't expect that too many people will choose this way.

It sure sounds like even if it takes you 15, 20, 30 or more years to accumulate 12 points that your license would be suspended for 90 days.  Heck, a person can still be a very good driver and will end up getting some tickets especially in the land of corrupt traffic police. 

Seems a system where the points deducted say for a ticket issued 5 years ago would fall off your points record would be fairer.   

1 minute ago, Pib said:

It sure sounds like even if it takes you 15, 20, 30 or more years to accumulate 12 points that your license would be suspended for 90 days.  Heck, a person can still be a very good driver and will end up getting some tickets especially in the land of corrupt traffic police. 

Seems a system where the points deducted say for a ticket issued 5 years ago would fall off your points record would be fairer.   

I read in another report that your total returns to 12 every year, possibly if no offences for a period of time.

12 minutes ago, 30la said:

I allow myself to ask the question again; "who receives the points if the subject has no license"?

Probably the registered owner of the vehicle (if the vehicle has any license plates) especially in those cases where the ticket arrives via snail mail because a radar camera caught the vehicle speeding.

Analysis of these proposed rules is fun only if we all understand that there is likely to be a complete lack of consistency in their interpretation and enforcement. 

It's sometimes easy to forget why Thailand is such a mess of a country. And, it's not because they don't have the right laws... ????

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I'm addition to whatever useless laws the Thais put on paper, culture mandates that the following Thais are tacitly understood to be exempt:

1. Thais with money 

2. Thais driving Mercs or higher 

3. Thais leveraging familial connections 

4. Sad, wai-ing Thais with little money

5. Thais in government 

6. Thai village chiefs 

You forgot one point

7. All Thais who don't qualify for the first 6.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

1 hour ago, Samuel Smith said:

I read in another report that your total returns to 12 every year, possibly if no offences for a period of time.

If you  can find that report please post a link to it.   My gut tells me you points would not be reset to 12 points every year since the main article reports the points penalty for various offenses is pretty light.  A person could still rack up quite a few tickets every 12 months (i.e., be a terrible driver) but if the total points gets reset to 12 after only one year that would allow that terrible driver to pretty much continue to be a terrible driver....have little fear of the points system.   12 months just sound too short...something like 3 or 5 years would sound more reasonable to me.

1 hour ago, Chang_paarp said:

Common in many jurisdictions. The owner get a letter advising them of the offence and they can accept it or nominate a different driver. A friend/relative who lives overseas is always a convenient one as some police forces will not bother chasing overseas for the driver, however if they come to visit they many be flagged at immigration.

Never heard of it happening here. And I would say that if you nominate someone as a Thai they could sue you for defamation.

15 minutes ago, Pib said:

If you  can find that report please post a link to it.   My gut tells me you points would not be reset to 12 points every year since the main article reports the points penalty for various offenses is pretty light.  A person could still rack up quite a few tickets every 12 months (i.e., be a terrible driver) but if the total points gets reset to 12 after only one year that would allow that terrible driver to pretty much continue to be a terrible driver....have little fear of the points system.   12 months just sound too short...something like 3 or 5 years would sound more reasonable to me.

Just now, Samuel Smith said:

It isn't happening here, yet.  Starts in December.

My comment was in nominating someone as the OP commented back to me on. TRhe logic on his logic is not going to work. I understand when it starts as I am licensed for motorcycle and automobile. 

21 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

OK...thanks...the Phuket report does say:  "Losing all 12 points, which are restored each calendar year, will lead to licence suspension for 90 days, while three suspensions will lead to a one-year suspension."

"If the Phuket report is accurate that total points get reset to 12 every calendar year" and based on light points penalties I don't see the new system having much of an impact...instilling much fear....motivating good driving.

24 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

My comment was in nominating someone as the OP commented back to me on. TRhe logic on his logic is not going to work. I understand when it starts as I am licensed for motorcycle and automobile. 

Why is it not going to work?  If you get a ticket in the post for speeding & close to losing your DL, you tell the police your wife was driving.  Or another family member with DL who is overseas & unlikely to get more points deducted.

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

OK...thanks...the Phuket report does say:  "Losing all 12 points, which are restored each calendar year, will lead to licence suspension for 90 days, while three suspensions will lead to a one-year suspension."

"If the Phuket report is accurate that total points get reset to 12 every calendar year" and based on light points penalties I don't see the new system having much of an impact...instilling much fear....motivating good driving.

But it will affect the idiots that ignore the laws & accrue many points.  Otherwise, everyone will lose their licence eventually.  How many speeding tickets can you pick up in a day driving long distance?

All the reports I've seen so far says the Thai points system is based on the Japanese points system. 

Below is a summary of the Japanese points system.  Apparently they primarily focus on the last 3 years worth of points to determine when a driver license suspension would occur.  

Below snapshots are from below weblink that gives a detailed overview of the Japanese system....all various administrative penalty points possible....also shows criminal penalties.

https://origami-book.com/column/course-en/7631

image.png.f12fe58b5e487007e48057dc72c5ca86.png

image.png.ded8203818452d3c599f0b07abf2c9d3.png

13 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

How many speeding tickets can you pick up in a day driving long distance?

None because I respect the speed limits ;

I was an international trucker during many years in french companies; Did an average of 150,000 km every year ;

I never had the slightest problem with the police because I really respected the rules of the road;
maximum speed, maximum hours of driving, rest time ..etc ...
I went almost everywhere in Europe, as far as Ukraine, even in Italy, to Portugal;to scotland , Wales ..
It took a passport to go to Spain from Franco's time;
I crossed the iron curtain in the middle of the highway that crossed, at the time, both Germany ...
Never have my different bosses made any negative comments about how I manage my work.
I continue to drive in Thailand in the same way;
respect of maximum speeds, stops every three to four hours driving to rest, drink something, take the air ...
In France for many years the license is at points; I never lost a single point.
I respect the distances of security; I know what are stopping and stopping distances ..
and if I can not arrive today, well I'll be here tomorrow ...

Another old idea taken from the West but currently there is no system in place to track violators outside of their own province. Police have no means to obtain instant information about a driver on the spot. 

The only thing instant is roll down the window and out of view slip it into the hand?????

15 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Why is it not going to work?  If you get a ticket in the post for speeding & close to losing your DL, you tell the police your wife was driving.  Or another family member with DL who is overseas & unlikely to get more points deducted.

Having seen a few of these digital tickets, the quality of the photo is amazing and makes identification of the driver pretty foolproof... just saying..

15 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

Having seen a few of these digital tickets, the quality of the photo is amazing and makes identification of the driver pretty foolproof... just saying..

Over the last 7 years or so I've got two tickets in the mail.  While the photo of the vehicle and license plate is clear you can not see who is driving the vehicle because of window tinting.  

29 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

My eldest daughter like to drive quickly with her new Toyota C-HR hybrid ;

I receive at home her tickets ;

we cannot see who is the driver on the photos ;

sometimes we have the front plate ( one color photo ), sometimes the two plates ( front and behind ) on two color photos .

Archived