Thailand - The Least Miserable Country in the World (2019)

LetsCleanUpTHAILAND

Unemployment - There is an article in an old Bangkok post Not sure if it is allowed to post a link but will put at the end. Basically 64% of the people work in the informal sector, and you are employed even if you just work one hour a week on the farm …. The article still doesn't say HOW they measure it. As said, you have to register as unemployed and people do not bother when there is no benefit available. I think those in formal employment can get some temporary benefit if made redundant, but informal - no chance. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/work/466226/why-thailand-unemployment-rate-is-ridiculously-low 

Cos the majority of Thais have been brainwashed from way way down the line .... just try to count how many temples there are and gleefully "doing a number" on humble workers while the stinking rich are rolling with laughter ... no wonder those monks hide there faces behind golden fans get my drift ? 

They are simply mashing economic stats and pretending a correlation with misery.

Thailand is actually suffering from some good economic stats. Like high foreign reserves and a strong and rising currency. And the employment figures are good because it takes three people to ring up a purchase in most stores and often one to run to the back and get the change from the money person.

They also have virtually no representation in government and personal debts are massive.

The fact that the people are coincidentally happy is more connected to the concept of mai pen rai than anything else.

I've never paid much notice to this report that seems to come out every year claiming the same thing.

Now I've had a look.

2 spots down below Thailand is Japan. And that's how I know this report is total BS. Just last year there was news of suicide rate among young Japanese being at a 30 year high. I've also spent considerable amount of time in that country and can tell you there is very little to be upbeat about living there and nothing for people to look forward to. China 5th least miserable? Yeah, I guess the government makes it illegal for people to feel upset there. Spain worse than Albania or Moldova? C'mon now

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2019 at 5:58 AM, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

No need for unemployment when you can dumpster dive and sell on the street from what you find. Welfare is hidden in every bin.. many treasures for any humble entrepreneur to take advantage of. Try laying down a tarp on a street in the West! haha No can do, Amigo!  

Poverty sticken scavengers,  living in filth is not entrepreneurship....its despair, Puen!

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:25 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Owners of such shops get tax discounts for having a big staff.

but I agree it’s annoying.. better have 15 good store workers knowledgeable and English skills then 200 untrained bored folks just there watching paint to dry.

Years ago when I was playing the dating site game, so many profiles answered the question OCCUPATION as "sales and marketing".

Finally I know why. Perhaps they all worked at Home Pro.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:13 PM, balo said:

How do they make this chart? Not trustworthy at all. China number 5 ? Come on. 

It would appear to me that TAT did the input of data when the "chart makers" were collecting data. Same people who twist and confuse arrival numbers with tourist numbers.

Common sense says this report is meaningless.

It seems much easier to get a small business going in Thailand than in our home country (US). My wife owns a retail store in the US and it’s quite a process to get all the proper state business filings, licenses, tax permits and insurance. Then you have all the sales and income tax reporting at both the state and federal level. Then all the space leasing issues and costs. Much more difficult if you are a restaurant. Here it seems you can just set up shop pretty much anywhere and you’re good to go! Not sure this survey really means anything though as most polls don’t anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 10/9/2019 at 3:58 PM, unamazedloso said:

Im curious... How does thailand know the figures on who is employed and who isn't? Im sure they dont have all the numbers. Same goes for most things i assume.

Thais are miserable and im miserable here!!????

That's easy! Just look at the sidewalks. If you can walk on them effortlessly = lots of unemployment. If they are crowded with hawkers selling cheap items = no/little unemployment. 

On 10/8/2019 at 1:45 PM, Stocky said:

Actually this is a purely statistics based ranking, it doesn't take into account what the population thinks at all.

That would be very difficult to judge here!     Somtam, iPhone, Sleep!

• 2 weeks later...

Lack of good education is the biggest problem for Thailand. Many university graduates must work in crappy jobs for a lousy salary just to help feed themselves and their family. That is also why many have various jobs and try to become small entrepreneurs. Because their university degree is not worth much. I know many university students, who are very worried about their future.

Something like The Internet and social media has changed a lot in Thailand and the mindset of many Thais (especially the young people). They now want and expect more than they have been used to.

There is no doubt that the well-off Thais have a great life, while most others it is a real struggle. I know some say that Thais in generel are lazy. I really do not think that is the case. Most I know, work really hard to take care of their family (especially the women).

During the past few years small businesses are really struggling, while as before most were doing okay and was happy with that. Now I see more Thai people openly complaining about their life and situation. I worry, if the economic downfall does not change, we will start to see the frustration come out and masses turning to the streets again.