Anti-farang Attitude

Jahil

Since a few weeks, I see in other sub-forums people speaking about anti-farangs attitude improving in Thailand.

What is your idea about it? Do you feel that also around Chiang Rai? Did you had experience?

Thank you to give us your feeling. Being in Europe fr the moment we (me and my Thai wife) would like to know.

Living in Thailand for 3 years, I experienced an attitude about Farangs.

It even made me aware of the meaning of the term 'farang' in most cases.

I summed it up as this: Anyone that isn't Thai is basically a second class citizen.

After all, they consider it 'their country'. You will feel this either quickly or slowly.

If you want to feel it quickly, display anger or demand someone speak English.

If you want the slow burn... be polite but demand Financial equality. You pay the same as your Thai friends, wife, family, etc.

Having said that, most problems a foreigner in Thailand has, they bring on themselves.

Many people live in Thailand understanding and accepting the money game and have made peace with it. Only my opinion. Let's see what others think...

Since a few weeks, I see in other sub-forums people speaking about anti-farangs attitude improving in Thailand.

What is your idea about it? Do you feel that also around Chiang Rai? Did you had experience?

Thank you to give us your feeling. Being in Europe fr the moment we (me and my Thai wife) would like to know.

Might just be me but I've never noticed the second class citizen bit. I get on well in the village, some people don't like me but I had that in Australia as well. I just wave and smile when I'm out walking and most wave and smile back.

I think in the cities Thais get a bit sick of Farang attitudes....I've got a few dollars and I think that should buy respect as well. Respect is not bought, it's earned; you push the master race bit at them you get it back.

At the other end of the spectrum you get the clowns, if you act like a fool too often you'll be treated like one.

Yes, I feel like they do like we do in our countries. Some good, some bad, some in the middle...

I've been here fulltime since 1986. If your head is on straight, you'll like the folks here, but if you're an ass, they won't like you and you won't like it here...

Edited by Ajarn

I summed it up as this: Anyone that isn't Thai is basically a second class citizen.

After all, they consider it 'their country'. You will feel this either quickly or slowly.

If you want the slow burn... be polite but demand Financial equality. You pay the same as your Thai friends, wife, family, etc.

Having said that, most problems a foreigner in Thailand has, they bring on themselves.

Many people live in Thailand understanding and accepting the money game and have made peace with it. Only my opinion. Let's see what others think...

Imagine that. Thais considering Thailand to be 'their country' :o

If a Thai was in the UK displaying anger and demanding someone speak Thai, there is a good chance that they would also quickly experience some 'attitude'.

In my 3 short years here, I have found that if you treat Thais respectfully (that doesn't mean you have to be subservient) they will reciprocate, most of the time. If you act like a kn*bhead, well, then you get what you deserve.

If a Thai was in the UK displaying anger and demanding someone speak Thai, there is a good chance that they would also quickly experience some 'attitude'.

In my 3 short years here, I have found that if you treat Thais respectfully (that doesn't mean you have to be subservient) they will reciprocate, most of the time. If you act like a kn*bhead, well, then you get what you deserve.

Here here! :D

I think if you look for anti-farang attitudes you will find them. The same way if you walk around looking for a fight you will find one. I can't read people's minds but I try to assume the best. In my five years in Thailand I have yet to met a Thai who could resist smiling back if I smiled at them first.

My uncle works for me on an ongoing basis...but he takes time off to plant and harvest rice just like eveyone else in the area...but....now he has stopped working on MY house because he wants to build a ceiling in HIS house (he's been living there quite awhile without a ceiling) because he says its too hot and the ceiling will help keep it a bit cooler.........I think this is a terrible anti-farang attitude that he should work on HIS house instead of MY house......sickening, isn't it!!!

Chownah

Xenophobia. It is a real thing all over the world.

I was raised to believe that it is our world, not my country.

Because I was born somewhere doesn't give me the right

to treat others coming to visit as somehow less than myself.

The UK isn't the same as Thailand by a longshot. They are

so open and protecting of foreigners (ok, except for the electrician they

shot 387 times in the subway for looking suspicious). In fact, the UK is

so freaking open and fair that a lot of natives don't want to live there -

they are leaving.

This is a great thread and could elicit a lot of soul-searching

for those that have souls. :o

they are leaving.

The Uk. Is that the same place where up until thirty years ago you would regulary see signs saying, 'No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs' in hotel windows?

Edited by garro

Didn't know about the signs in the hotel windows.

Seems they've done a 180.

I've found that London seems much less

prejudice against Black people than the US of A.

At one time in Shanghai, there was a park that had

a sign: "no dogs and no Chinese"

It's an amazing world.

Edited by MrOzark

(quote) The UK isn't the same as Thailand by a longshot. They are

they are leaving.

Nice bit of bait Mr Ozone. Wonder If you`ll get any bites :o

they are leaving.

The Uk. Is that the same place where up until thirty years ago you would regulary see signs saying, 'No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs' in hotel windows?

What an outrageous libel. There's no where in the UK a dog would be banned from entering.

What an outrageous libel. There's no where in the UK a dog would be banned from entering.

I have seen they are not allowed to play golf in UK!

No dogs on the golfcourse!

:D :D :D

Dunno about that, Fred Bassett goes along with his master.

The Poms would find a loop hole though....turn up with dark glasses and a white stick with Rover on a lead. :o

Edited by sceadugenga

I have seen they are not allowed to play golf in UK!

No dogs on the golfcourse!

:D:bah: :bah:

Dunno about that, Fred Bassett goes along with his master.

The Poms would find a loop hole though....turn up with dark glasses and a white stick with Rover on a lead. :D

So who is going to play golf? Me (with a dark glasses and a white stick) or Rover?

:o:D:D

Ahhh! Here we go again getting off topic about what goes in timbaktuu. Allow me to re-quote the op's thread again below for pertinent replies. Thank you.

...in regards to the OP. Gee, has the mal-treatment really been that bad? Yeah, dual pricing can be a pain but then I can waltz into most any building, business, or supercenter without doing the Thai National Strip Search detention...

For me, I see most Thais giving Farangs the benefit of the doubt. It's up to you to prove your farang kii nok chav cred and then come running to an expat board whining about mistreatment...

...in regards to the OP. Gee, has the mal-treatment really been that bad? Yeah, dual pricing can be a pain but then I can waltz into most any building, business, or supercenter without doing the Thai National Strip Search detention...

What maltreatment? OP says, quote "I see in other sub-forums people speaking about anti-farangs attitude improving in Thailand."

For me, I see most Thais giving Farangs the benefit of the doubt. It's up to you to prove your farang kii nok chav cred and then come running to an expat board whining about mistreatment...

Again, what whining? OP is seeking opinion on Thais attitude towards farang in Chiang Rai, and quote "What is your idea about it? Do you feel that also around Chiang Rai? Did you had experience?"

I think OP is going to chiang rai and is now doing ground work regards to farang in chiang rai. I do not know about chiang rai and never been there, so i cannot help. Why are you bashing the OP ? Did I missed something?

If you weren't so eager to pick a fight you'd see that the OP isn't being bashed.

If you have never been to Chiang Rai and cannot help why are you "contributing" to this thread?

We're quite capable of getting stuck into each other on this forum with out any help from Udon.

If you weren't so eager to pick a fight you'd see that the OP isn't being bashed.

If you have never been to Chiang Rai and cannot help why are you "contributing" to this thread?

We're quite capable of getting stuck into each other on this forum with out any help from Udon.

and by the way welcome to Chiang Rai :o , sorry it was just funny :D

Well it is their Country, thats about it, we are guests here, they can have as much attitude as they like, if you dont like then leave.

In their defence I think they handle it well, imagine if you were in your Country and a Thai walked into your local entertainment venue or into a shop knowing he could take almost any female for some hanky panky within 5 mins for the price or a round, how would you feel?

:D:D:D

I know plenty of expats who live in Thailand who certainly don't consider themselves 'guests' as such. After all a guest is more appropriate for a tourist who is here two weeks. Not a 6 month semi-retired 50 year old who is married to a thai resident. Thats not to say they are disrespectful but that the term guest is condescending in some ways to them.

You'll only find trouble in Thailand if you are unlucky or act like a loud-mouth. In Thailand the quiet man is considered to be superior to the shouting fool.

I've lived in Chang Mai, only noticed 2 cases of anti-farang atittude. Both involved over-pricing.

I know plenty of expats who live in Thailand who certainly don't consider themselves 'guests' as such. After all a guest is more appropriate for a tourist who is here two weeks. Not a 6 month semi-retired 50 year old who is married to a thai resident. Thats not to say they are disrespectful but that the term guest is condescending in some ways to them.

You'll only find trouble in Thailand if you are unlucky or act like a loud-mouth. In Thailand the quiet man is considered to be superior to the shouting fool.

I've lived in Chang Mai, only noticed 2 cases of anti-farang atittude. Both involved over-pricing.

:o

For the most part, I breeze through town with no problems, lots of smiles, even some scenarios that feel like genuine mutual appreciation.

However, as alluded to earlier, if I act brashly (on occassion) I will likely get a brash response or worse.

This idea that 'Thai are so calm, and disdain raising their voices' is a myth among those that are not familiar with Thais in tight situations. More than a few times, I've seen Thai men and women blow the cool. My observation is; 'there's no middle ground.' They can apprear to be cool - cool - cool - cool - then suddenly ballistic screaming banshee ape manure flung every which way.

It's like a hi-fi system with low volume from 1 to 9, and tube-busting, rafter shattering din at 10.

Well it is their Country, thats about it, we are guests here, they can have as much attitude as they like, if you dont like then leave.

In their defence I think they handle it well, imagine if you were in your Country and a Thai walked into your local entertainment venue or into a shop knowing he could take almost any female for some hanky panky within 5 mins for the price or a round, how would you feel?

Ah yes and this is the farangs fault how? Don't hate the player hate the game.

Thailand created this problem not the other way around it is and always have been about simple Economics 101, supply and demand. The demand is and always will be there where ever there are men but Thailand was very happy to deliver the supply.

I think it is pretty hypocritical to be angry about a self inflicted situation.

What maltreatment? OP says, quote "I see in other sub-forums people speaking about anti-farangs attitude improving in Thailand."

Again, what whining? OP is seeking opinion on Thais attitude towards farang in Chiang Rai, and quote "What is your idea about it? Do you feel that also around Chiang Rai? Did you had experience?"

I think OP is going to chiang rai and is now doing ground work regards to farang in chiang rai. I do not know about chiang rai and never been there, so i cannot help. Why are you bashing the OP ? Did I missed something?

It takes more than 121 posts to attain the dizzy heights of moderator status. So tuck away you delusions for a later date and contribute if you will. But don`t get ideas above you station and lighten up a little. :o

...seems that maybe someone does protest too much. I am sure the OP can use his advanced level of reasoning to understand the underlying points of my reply.

Seagull: If you genuinely suffer from Asperger's syndrome, then I'll keep that in mind and ignore your future "contributions".

...seems that maybe someone does protest too much. I am sure the OP can use his advanced level of reasoning to understand the underlying points of my reply.

Seagull: If you genuinely suffer from Asperger's syndrome, then I'll keep that in mind and ignore your future "contributions".

All this talk about anti farang attitudes has me wondering. I have had the good fortune to visit Thailand half a dozen times and have never had a problem with the locals.

I have always treated them like I wished to be treated and in return they have responded in kind and I agree that a smile has always been met with one in return.

The original question about attitude makes me wonder whether things have changed since my last visit in 2004 when we stayed in Chiang Mai and visited all over the north, because I would hate to think that I am no longer welcome in the country.

Was the question speculative, or born of a bad experience or two?