Alcohol ban for end of Buddhist Lent over long weekend

webfact

Alcohol ban for end of Buddhist Lent over long weekend

By The Phuket News

1570510392_1-org.jpg

The 24-hour ban on the sale of alcohol for Sunday will come into effect at midnight Saturday night. Image: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: Phuket Provincial Police Commander Pol Maj Gen Rungrote Thakurapunyasiri has cautioned that a 24-hour ban on the sale of alcohol will be in effect nationwide this weekend as the country marks “Wan Org Pansa”, the end of Buddhist Lent, on Sunday (Oct 13).

The ban on the sale of alcohol will come into effect at midnight on Saturday night and end at midnight Sunday night, explained Gen Rungrote.

The alcohol ban for Wan Org Pansa was instituted by law under an announcement by the Prime Minister’s Office on January 22, 2015.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/alcohol-ban-for-end-of-buddhist-lent-over-long-weekend-73173.php#Zx4F3lmFRGMzeXXo.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-10-08

Used to P me off this stupidness. Every mom and pop store sells alcohol so the only people this hurts are the restaurants, night clubs and of course tourists. Plus it's a grey area so you can take your own alcohol to some restaurants if descreat. 

6 minutes ago, Captain_Bob said:

"Wan Org Pansa" What is this The Lord of the Rings? The Thai word for leaving/exiting/going out is ออก which transliterates to something like "aawk". No "r" and definitely no Orcs involved. 

There are a few Orcs about in my area... but they are not Thai Buddhists.  

2 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

"Wan Org Pansa" What is this The Lord of the Rings? The Thai word for leaving/exiting/going out is ออก which transliterates to something like "aawk". No "r" and definitely no Orcs involved. 

Blame the Brits for the horrid transliterations they read or sound as aw... just awful.  

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Why the question mark alant?

From what I've read Siddhartha Gautama "The Buddha" hated monument/deity worship, was married and had children. Took a break from his walk about and never said don't drink. His wife joined him on his second walk about. The 3 truths are as valid today as they were when he first spoke them (nothing about not drinking or sticking sharp objects into one's body). So that I believe is the question mark or that's what I take from the? 

6 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

From what I've read Siddhartha Gautama "The Buddha" hated monument/deity worship, was married and had children. Took a break from his walk about and never said don't drink. His wife joined him on his second walk about. The 3 truths are as valid today as they were when he first spoke them (nothing about not drinking or sticking sharp objects into one's body). So that I believe is the question mark or that's what I take from the? 

Oh, I was asking alant. But thanks for your enlightening reply. And are the Ten Commandments as valid today as they were when Moses, alledgedly, got them from 'God'. 

3 hours ago, agudbuk said:

I dint drink a lot usually but I nearly always drink on banned days. 

I just hate being controlled for no logical reason. 

It about respecting the culture.

Something in which you lack in spades ♠️ 

1 hour ago, peter14 said:

All those archaic law... LOL the whole country lives in the past

What archaic law is that?

From the OP.

The alcohol ban for Wan Org Pansa was instituted by law under an announcement by the Prime Minister’s Office on January 22, 2015.

5 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Used to P me off this stupidness. Every mom and pop store sells alcohol so the only people this hurts are the restaurants, night clubs and of course tourists. Plus it's a grey area so you can take your own alcohol to some restaurants if descreat. 

You could include all the stores such as Big C, Tesco, CJ... 7-11, Makro and the rest... they all have to abide by the law!

Good to be living in Laos and avoid this 'Holier than thou' mentality. I don't think it is right, so I will ban it forr everyone!! Religion should be a personal choice. Most Thais are Bhuddists, I respect, but also many of them also drink regularly and continue to do so. What does it prove to ban alcohol for two days?

Guess this is not a hill to die on for me. I just stock up before hand. OK, maybe, coming from Kentucky I was used to not be allowed to buy alcohol on any Sunday. Always got a kick out of hearing visitors from other countries shake their heads in amusement at crazy Americans (Sunday being a holy day, don’t cha know). I’m actually old enough to remember when all stores were forbidden to open on Sunday, then only Sunday mornings. Ah, thanks for our Puritan inspired religious based “Blue Laws”.

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Guess this is not a hill to die on for me. I just stock up before hand. OK, maybe, coming from Kentucky I was used to not be allowed to buy alcohol on any Sunday. Always got a kick out of hearing visitors from other countries shake their heads in amusement at crazy Americans (Sunday being a holy day, don’t cha know). I’m actually old enough to remember when all stores were forbidden to open on Sunday, then only Sunday mornings. Ah, thanks for our Puritan inspired religious based “Blue Laws”.

Yep, remember that from Oklahoma also.  

10 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Me thinks the no drinking laws on Buddhist holidays came about because of all the drunks at the temples.  The general public got sick of it so asked the Govt. to step in.  

I lived near a Wat favored by the Tai Yai,  lot of the fellas had bottles of sang som or lau kau in their pockets and had a great time beating their drums and gongs through the day, laughing and dancing. These holidays are a rare day off of their hard labor and they want to enjoy. 

Reminded me of Cubans during their bembes and rhumbas but the cuban rhythms are much more interesting.

10 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Me thinks the no drinking laws on Buddhist holidays came about because of all the drunks at the temples.  The general public got sick of it so asked the Govt. to step in.  

I think it is the Govt. throwing crumbs to the hardcore religionists that want a total ban on alcohol, so they ban on some holidays, from midnight to 11:am, 2:pm-5:pm ... a sort of compromise.

Archived