Alcohol ban for end of Buddhist Lent over long weekend

webfact

Just to correct this ...... this is not a Buddhist thing but a Thai thing; in all other Buddhist countries they do not have such a rule and alcohol is no issue in Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. 

On the other hand we all can live 24 or more hours without booze; what nobody likes is that some authority somewhere "decides" what we are supposed to (not) do. Thais are kindergarteners and hence they need somebody to tell them when to do what - it so seems that the neighbouring population is more mature then? Puzzled ???? 

It would have been wise to make it "all in one reminder" for this year:

Sunday October 13 (fixed date) is also the King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s Memorial Day.

And as this (in contrast to Ok Phansa) is an official holiday there will be the usual substitute.

Monday October 14, public holiday, offices closed.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1073573-thai-holidays-2019/

(just seen that it is described in the full article)

8 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Because the Buddhist 'rules' say no intoxicating substances. No?

Thanks for that, I thought there were not rules but ways one should strive to conduct ones life by and the guidance was not to allow yourself to be in an intoxicated state. Having said that I am no expert!!!

23 hours ago, johng said:

Whenever it was introduced its still a "silly law"  and sometimes its fitting that "silly laws" are ignored by the general population.

Up to 'not too long ago' there were certain times of the day, and days of the week when you couldn't buy booze in UK, and then at only licenced premises.

On 10/8/2019 at 6:15 PM, wwest5829 said:

Guess this is not a hill to die on for me. I just stock up before hand. OK, maybe, coming from Kentucky I was used to not be allowed to buy alcohol on any Sunday. Always got a kick out of hearing visitors from other countries shake their heads in amusement at crazy Americans (Sunday being a holy day, don’t cha know). I’m actually old enough to remember when all stores were forbidden to open on Sunday, then only Sunday mornings. Ah, thanks for our Puritan inspired religious based “Blue Laws”.

Same thing where I grew up in North Wales. I think the only time I actually voted growing up in N. Wales was when they held a ballot to repeal the Sunday drinking laws.

4 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Because you are not the arbiter of what represents good buddhism and anyway there is no particularly strong rule about consuming alcohol in Buddhism.

No? Fifth Precept = DO NOT take intoxicants.

On 10/9/2019 at 5:35 PM, wgdanson said:

Up to 'not too long ago' there were certain times of the day, and days of the week when you couldn't buy booze in UK, and then at only licenced premises.

Yes, but in the 21st century those laws were rescinded or loosened, whereas Thailand tightened theirs at the same time.

And hours were restricted on certain religious holidays, namely Good Friday and Christmas Day but I don't remember there ever being times when pubs were ordered to close en masse.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:25 AM, Captain_Bob said:

"Wan Org Pansa" What is this The Lord of the Rings? The Thai word for leaving/exiting/going out is ออก which transliterates to something like "aawk". No "r" and definitely no Orcs involved. 

Or maybe it's "Wan Ooawk Pansa", where "ooawk" is the word for puking.  Too much to drink the night before.

For goodness sake, all this fuss over a 24 hour ban on drinking alcohol in public and buying it at main outlets.  This bleating by alcohol dependant farangs on this forum every time this issue rears its head is ludicrous. 

On 10/8/2019 at 1:55 PM, agudbuk said:

I dint drink a lot usually but I nearly always drink on banned days. 

I just hate being controlled for no logical reason. 

you are NOT being controlled.....as YOU say YOU drink on banned days....I always get stocked up so I can drink on these Bhuddist days in my condo.....!!

I'll be up in the village in Korat this weekend so no problem for us - just pop into one of the many mom and pop shops and pick up 2-3 bottles. Problem solved. Cheers! 

I don't care too much if I drink or not, but, it irritates me that some people who work long hours week after week, month after month, finally have a few days off to relax and are then told "no can sell" when they're out with friends and family. 

Archived