Pattaya: Young woman dies after hitting stopped truck with no lights

webfact

Pattaya: Young woman dies after hitting stopped truck with no lights

9pm.jpg

Picture: Ruk Siam News

A trip to Pattaya turned to horror for a group of young people from Bang Saen. 

The five people were on three motorcycles going home to the seaside resort when a 22 year old woman riding alone on the bike in the middle collided with the back of a ten wheel truck.

It was parked sticking out into the road, the driver was asleep and the rear lights were not working. 

Urairat Suksawaeng, 22, a recent bachelor's degree graduate from a Chonburi university, was dead at the scene, reported Ruk Siam News. 

Her friend on a following bike 50 meters behind was the first to come across the grisly scene. 

The friend said they were speechless. All the four friends were in floods of tears.

The victim had been working at a convenience store after graduating and was waiting for more permanent employment. 

The accident happened near the Ban Na bridge in Nong Prue at 3.30 am on Monday. 

Police arrested the driver of the truck, Manop, 48. He said he had stopped after battery trouble and was asleep waiting for someone to come and help him. 

Police noted that the rear lights were not working on the truck. 

Source: Ruk Siam News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-08

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Throw him in jail for manslaughter and impound the truck to pay the family.

Then publicise this widely on social media - make everyone aware of his jail sentance.

Only then will some Thais learn that they are responsible and they will be held accountable.

11 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Then publicise this widely on social media - make everyone aware of his jail sentance.

Only then will some Thais learn that they are responsible and they will be held accountable.

Come off it. He was parked on a wide road, over to the left, just as I would if I needed to stop there at 3.30 am. The first motor cycle passed it OK, the second did not. Who's to blame?

1 minute ago, thequietman said:

How she didn't see a large truck with reflective strips on the back ( see pic) is beyond me!

Maybe her lights where not working or  obscured by stuff in the basket on the front..???

Many trucks have very inadequate  reflective safety measures..either they have fallen off or obscured buy crud..same with brake and indicator lights...then you have the ultimate  warning  system of a  branch placed  2 meters in front of the obstacle. :w00t:

13502095_560783127457022_2749446280718780816_n.jpg.4a070596b97327c4910020ce8c285125.jpg12743906_513770255491643_7956225395539274486_n.jpg.a29032926d494945728956481b639338.jpg

R.I.P  Urairat Suksawaeng

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Own fault then.

I don't know..maybe she swerved to avoid a dog or other obstacle in the road..sometimes the roads are rutted due to overloaded trucks that can easily pull a bike off course,distracted  or blinded by an oncoming vehicle with very bright lights ?  who knows.. I wouldn't lay the blame totally on the broken down truck driver..he probably could have done more to prevent the accident though its hindsight..we all could/would do things differently if we knew the outcome in advance.

Three red triangle warning signs placed  100 feet behind the truck,

would of given fair warning. This driver should be fired and charged with neglect with possible manslaughter charges. No need for the truck engine  running

image.jpeg.b73c3b8ad4b11f2d0495d61dc7b64935.jpeg

6 minutes ago, johng said:
11 minutes ago, essox essox said:

This is a new one. If battery kaput just how could any lights function??

If the engine is running the alternator can provide power for the lights..

it probably depends on what the truck was? - Diesel/Petrol or CNG 

only the Diesel engine could have kept running if the battery was totally stuffed 

45 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Come off it!

When I ride at night, which is not often admittedly, but it does happen, I am riding on unlit roads and through blacked out villages.

I somehow manage to avoid invisible pot holes. black dogs roaming the streets, unlit motorcycles and pedal cycles. Plus, of course, the occasional drunk. I'm pretty sue that I wouldn't fail to see a damn big truck, lights or no lights, parked in the street!

13 minutes ago, riclag said:

would of given fair warning. This driver should be fired and charged with neglect with possible manslaughter charges

Should the power companies do that with their power polls in the road that folk get wiped out on......?

REMINDER

Before commenting on this topic, please consider the subject matter and be respectful that someone has died.
Any off topic and/or insensitive posts will be removed without warning and could result in those who made the posts being banned from the site. 

/Admin

19 minutes ago, riclag said:

would of given fair warning. This driver should be fired and charged with neglect with possible manslaughter charges. No need for the truck engine  running

Where did it say the engine was running? And do you mean he should have put THREE triangles all 100 feet (what's that in metres?) behind the truck?

Do you put YOUR triangle out when you park up at night, and leave your lights on.

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

battery trouble? Really  -  or another kind of "brake failure" ?

I guess the cops did not care to check if there was really battery trouble. May be he just wanted to have a nab and turned of engine and light. After that accident he had to invent an excuse, as "brake failure" was not possible in this case - so it had to be the battery.

I am not saying there was no real battery failure, but after having heard so many excuses and hardly anybody to admit his mistake the suspicion is justified and police should check.

Very sad. another young death. However, it isn't the truck drivers fault. There is plenty of room on the road, the truck has reflector strips, one bike got around it. Was alcohol involved? it was 3.30 am according to the report, or maybe excessive tiredness causing the girl to not concentrate.  We all know about bike riders here and I haven't come across any competent ones yet.

strange how the truck driver dittos what other drivers come out with!

like; why do they come out with a tirade of parallel 'alibis'? 

- quoting 'sleep' in addition to 'the battery' in addition to whatever else springs to mind...

all he had to say was the battery died, and killed the truck -and just that! ...he-was-stranded... 

this thing of needing to give the Police an exhaustive List of alternative realities; creates multiple choice quizzes - and suspicion

Something a miss here, its 03.30am & the first motorcyclist with passenger passes the truck, which does not look like it is *sticking out* to me, with no reported problem. The second motorcyclists who has no passenger fatally collides with the truck. The road appears to have lighting & altho the truck had no rear lights on it clearly has reflective strips. All to easy to fully blame the truck driver at this early stage but there must be questions re the motorcycle & its driver

6 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Come off it. He was parked on a wide road, over to the left, just as I would if I needed to stop there at 3.30 am. The first motor cycle passed it OK, the second did not. Who's to blame?

Did he put the reflective triangle behind the truck?

1 hour ago, tifino said:

only the Diesel engine could have kept running if the battery was totally stuffed 

A petrol engine will run with a dead battery if you get it started. Then it should charge the battery.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Illegal to park a truck on highway without laving lights on - that is why he was arrested.

He should have pulled off the road completely.

I dont believe the battery <deleted>. Or the brakes failed <deleted>.

Archived