Pattaya: Young woman dies after hitting stopped truck with no lights

webfact

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

A petrol engine will run with a dead battery if you get it started. Then it should charge the battery.

yeah... but you've gotta keep the revs up for the alternator

to provide enough electricals

for the ignition sparks...

and that would be difficult (if asleep)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Come off it!

When I ride at night, which is not often admittedly, but it does happen, I am riding on unlit roads and through blacked out villages.

I somehow manage to avoid invisible pot holes. black dogs roaming the streets, unlit motorcycles and pedal cycles. Plus, of course, the occasional drunk. I'm pretty sue that I wouldn't fail to see a damn big truck, lights or no lights, parked in the street!

It is a highway !! She was going much faster than you - if not you need to slow down mate.

Illegal to park a truck and go to sleep without light on and some form of warning.

PS - Thais/Asians in general dont see well at night - myopia and peripheral vision issues are extremely common.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-sightedness#Asia

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Three red triangle warning signs placed  100 feet behind the truck,

would of given fair warning. This driver should be fired and charged with neglect with possible manslaughter charges. No need for the truck engine  running

image.jpeg.b73c3b8ad4b11f2d0495d61dc7b64935.jpeg

One of the few sensible posts. Not even prof. drivers follow the most basic safety procedures. But TV investigators have solutions, explanations and plenty of blame to hand out, from Global Warming to the most tragic accident. Empathy and respect probably not part of their vocabulary. MS>

4 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Fan belt can't cause the battery to run empty....it will cause an overheated engine.

You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer it seems.

The fan belt runs the alternator or dynamo which charges the battery.

With no fan belt the lights and other items on the vehicle that use electrical energy will after a time cause the battery to become flat rendering the starter motor among everything else unusable. Even the interior light will stop working.

2 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Throw him in jail for manslaughter and impound the truck to pay the family.

Then publicise this widely on social media - make everyone aware of his jail sentance.

Only then will some Thais learn that they are responsible and they will be held accountable.

for being stopped at the side of the road?

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Come off it. He was parked on a wide road, over to the left, just as I would if I needed to stop there at 3.30 am. The first motor cycle passed it OK, the second did not. Who's to blame?

The guy parking a truck without rear lights at night.

Night roads are deadly in Thailand.

Vehicles w/o lights, drunk drivers, license-less drivers, many ppl speeding (in some cases w/o headlights!) ,all sorts of debris on the road and on and on.

Reckless and abandon.

RIP

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Ever heard a Thai accept full responsibility for anything?

Can't say I have, but it should be very easy for the police to verify if the truck driver was lying or not.

Anyway, a very tragic accident.

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

Can't say I have, but it should be very easy for the police to verify if the truck driver was lying or not.

well, they are halfway there... he admitted to lying

in bed 

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

He was arrested at the scene.

Because he caused the death of another person.

His excuses obviously did not cut it.

But will he get charged and jailed? I hope so.

Shocking to think that across the country 60+ families get this same news every day.  You really do have to anticipate the most bizarre and unexpected circumstances on even the shortest trip.

as a side issue, another media outlet went into detail on the manner of death, which was particularly gory.  Anyone got thoughts on whether making these gory details public might assist in changing driving habits?  Shock ad campaigns seem to be effective.

I just don't understand how the general public in Thailand could accept such high figures of fatal accidents on roads and highways year after year. Don't they complain to the government?

The responsibility is entirely on the government. The government should make it mandatory for all big trucks and lorry to have lights (big ones) put up behind their vehicles that are parked on the side of roads or highways. These lights have battery or run on battery of the vehicle. Do they sell them in Thailand? Why are government not making it mandatory for truck companies to have them on their trucks.?

In Malaysia, the private company that maintain the highway will come with vehicle with very bright lights blinking all over that you could see miles away. They will park behind the truck or vehicle so that other cars will not crash into it.

They will either help with getting the vehicle get moving or call tow truck to tow the vehicle to workshop for repairs.

In fact in Thailand government can contract private companies to patrol the highway or roads for vehicle being park on the side of the roads without lights on. This company has patrol cars with very bright blinking lights will park behind vehicle that is on the side of highway or road to prevent accidents. They will tell the offending vehicle to move on or call the tow truck if the vehicle broke down.

They will report to the government police patrol if the driver argue or refuse to move. The money spend by the government on this form of patrol is worth every penny in terms of the revenue lost when young people of productive age died in accidents.

There seems to be adequate reflection on the truck and street lighting, so IMO anyone driving into the rear was not paying attention to driving, sorry for the girl but, texting, drunk or both. Check her blood and phone. Its time reflective plates were fitted to trucks ! 963521260_images(17).jpg.9b24fc7302f5924eb776e6638dd30298.jpg

4 hours ago, johng said:

Maybe her lights where not working or  obscured by stuff in the basket on the front..???

Many trucks have very inadequate  reflective safety measures..either they have fallen off or obscured buy crud..same with brake and indicator lights...then you have the ultimate  warning  system of a  branch placed  2 meters in front of the obstacle. :w00t:

13502095_560783127457022_2749446280718780816_n.jpg.4a070596b97327c4910020ce8c285125.jpg12743906_513770255491643_7956225395539274486_n.jpg.a29032926d494945728956481b639338.jpg

R.I.P  Urairat Suksawaeng

Scary.

25 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

There seems to be adequate reflection on the truck and street lighting, so IMO anyone driving into the rear was not paying attention to driving, sorry for the girl but, texting, drunk or both. Check her blood and phone. Its time reflective plates were fitted to trucks ! 963521260_images(17).jpg.9b24fc7302f5924eb776e6638dd30298.jpg

I would imagine a rear light at night was mandatory, parked or not, especially on a main road.

43 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

Anyone got thoughts on whether making these gory details public might assist in changing driving habits?

I don't think it makes a bit of difference to a lot of Thais,they believe that it is "Karma" whatever happens, it cannot be changed in this life maybe the next...there used to be ( maybe still is) a magazine called 191  that published uncensored  murder and accident photos also I remember seeing such photos at a temple and some police road side "safety check points"....years ago

doesn't seem to have changed much at all

35 minutes ago, ylmiri said:

The money spend by the government on this form of patrol is worth every penny in terms of the revenue lost when young people of productive age died in accidents.

Unfortunately the "government"  is more interested in buying  submarines,tanks,warships and high speed trains. ????

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He said he had stopped after battery trouble and was asleep waiting for someone to come and help him. 

Rubbish.... the ten wheel truck is diesel powered, meaning he only needed a battery to start the engine, there-after all power comes from the alternator. He did  not need to stop because of a battery problem.

Charge the man with man-slaughter !

33 minutes ago, johng said:

I don't think it makes a bit of difference to a lot of Thais,they believe that it is "Karma" whatever happens,

And that is the perfect cop-out, which automatically absolves everyone from any responsibility for anything. It was simply 'fate'.

Archived