BANGKOK
bbi1

Vietnam HCMC holiday - changing THB to Dong and SIM Card

Any particular denomination of USD notes, (that are easy to use), or does it not matter...?

On 10/9/2019 at 2:48 AM, bbi1 said:

Looking at the yellow 40k VND shuttle bus map it looks like it stops quite far from where the hotel is, meaning about a 1 to 1.5km walk afterwards. Hotel is near Hai Ba Trung and Dinh Cong Trang, towards the end of Dinh Cong Trang.

Why not ask your hotel to arrange a pick up from the airport. Last time my hotel charged VND150k +/- £5.00.

The cheapest bus (152) from the forecourt outside the airport arrivals, stops at the bus station near Ben Thanh market costs VND5,000 £0.15 (double with a suitcase) it's a bit rickety and takes time during busy times.

Also SIM cards are widely available from travel agents, corner shops 1 month data + calls/text VND140k

On 10/24/2019 at 2:02 PM, thecyclist said:

I would advise against using Thai debit cards in Vietnam:while the official fees are acceptable, the hidden charges in the form of currency conversion rates amounted to  a 7 % loss (compared to cash conversion at money changer), that at least was the case with my Krungthai debit card.

My latest withdrawal at a Sacombank ATM in HCMC early October cost me 4,215.22 THB for 3,000,000 VND, using my Kasikorn debit card (all in). That's about 3% more than I would have paid exchanging cash at SuperRich on the same day. Not brilliant, but not anywhere near 7% either - so for those who use several Thai banks, it would be a good idea to check which card works out the cheapest.

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2019 at 4:12 PM, UKresonant said:

Any particular denomination of USD notes, (that are easy to use), or does it not matter...?

$100 notes are easily exchanged, just make sure they are in excellent condition - no tears, no marks, etc.

54 minutes ago, Caldera said:

My latest withdrawal at a Sacombank ATM in HCMC early October cost me 4,215.22 THB for 3,000,000 VND, using my Kasikorn debit card (all in). That's about 3% more than I would have paid exchanging cash at SuperRich on the same day. Not brilliant, but not anywhere near 7% either - so for those who use several Thai banks, it would be a good idea to check which card works out the cheapest.

Was that recently :I have stayed away from using my Thai card in Vietnam (and in Laos where it was 7 % as well), since that catastrophic exchange in 2016. So maybe things have improved. Still 3 % is no laughing matter.