Thai commercial featuring a gay wedding!!

smo

Wow, I couldn't believe my eyes, I was watching (US news on) youtube and a local commercial cut in: OMG, a GAY WEDDING!!! (it's a Krungsri Bank spot - kudos to you Krungsri, I'll be your loyal patron forever.) Two handsome Thai males decked out in white tuxedos exchange vows and wedding rings while families and friends look on with teary eyes and approving nods...I've been away from the US for a long while now and just wondering if TV commercials there nowadays feature any non-celebrity GLBTQ (sorry if I miss out any other alphabet) person at all, let alone a wedding of that sort. I remember when I went back to California for a visit a few years ago, ladyboys began making public appearance, but sparingly and with eyes on high alert.

Caveat emptor: Sometime ago I posted a thread here concerning my thai bf, focusing on the relationship between two persons (leaving out the "gay" part) and was most pleased that 1) it wasn't moved to the "Gay People" subforum and 2) many comments were positive (read compassionate). However, not surprisingly, still a number warned that I was threading on hostile terrain - "you've got nerve, this being a 'straight' forum" and what not...Let's see if this thread, focusing on how societies' (Thai vs US in this instance) views regarding gay marriage differ, fares any better...

49 minutes ago, smo said:

I've been away from the US for a long while now and just wondering if TV commercials there nowadays feature any non-celebrity GLBTQ (sorry if I miss out any other alphabet) person at all, let alone a wedding of that sort. I remember when I went back to California for a visit a few years ago,

A few years is a long while?

50 minutes ago, smo said:

I remember when I went back to California for a visit a few years ago, ladyboys began making public appearance, but sparingly and with eyes on high alert.

Legal in San Francisco. Illegal here.

50 minutes ago, smo said:

Caveat emptor: Sometime ago I posted a thread here concerning my thai bf, focusing on the relationship between two persons (leaving out the "gay" part) and was most pleased that 1) it wasn't moved to the "Gay People" subforum and 2) many comments were positive (read compassionate). However, not surprisingly, still a number warned that I was threading on hostile terrain - "you've got nerve, this being a 'straight' forum" and what not...Let's see if this thread, focusing on how societies' (Thai vs US in this instance) views regarding gay marriage differ, fares any better...

This seems to be the real reason you posted this thread. Feel better now?

I look at it as exploiting the LGBT bandwagon now it has got some tracks here. Popularity? World attention then Thailand takes notice and carts into full speed take advantage with TV shows, Gay this and gay that all under the guise that it is cute and people watch something that is not normal, but in a sense under the surface sort of accepted.

It is certainly not normal (yet) by any definition of what normal means . Steps are being taken to normalise it (a good thing IMO) by displaying it as part of normal  everyday events .

The truth of the matter is that a certain percentage of the population has always being homosectual and as such it is a natural event , I think it is time that we embrace our nature,and deal with in a way that it is fair to all.

Archived