What is the penalty of driving scooter without your drivers license?

ujjain

I had a British drivers license, which I requested to be exchanged for my own country's drivers license because of the Brexit. Unfortunately it takes a month to process this and the government of my country has my drivers license for a month.

I'm currently travelling in Thailand. I can rent my friend's motor bike for 1500 baht per month.

What is the risk of driving without a drivers license in Thailand? I am ok with the risk of paying a 2000 baht fine or something.

You changed your driving licence because of Brexit???? Without wishing to get into a Brexit debate, why on earth would that be necessary?

Risks: Range from nothing if never stopped, to paying damages and compensation to someone for the rest of their life if you are at fault in an accident and injure a 3rd party. 

Risks regarding fines: Realistically, with out a licence you may get a 200 baht on the spot fine (if you say you 'forgot' your licence etc) or you may receive a larger 'official fine'. 

Your greatest risks are insurance: Unlicenced riding may void your bike and medical insurance (if you even have it - if you don't have medical insurance thats a whole other topic !).

Your friend's bike probably only has the compulsary insurance (only pays a smaller sum and only for medical costs), this insurance also pays if you don't have a license.

If the bike should have any additional insurance or you have any health insurance, you might want to check the fine print and what it says about conditions regarding a driving license.

If you get caught by police without having a license you will probably be fined 500 THB.

The wife got caught by the plod on their first of the month extortion exercise.

No photocopy of green book under seat - 250B

No tax disc (I forgot to put it on) - 250B 

We went to the station to pay, the guy at the gate encouraged her to go to Krung Thai bank to pay, it didn’t take her more than 5 mins at the station, but seems like processing their own BS fines is below them now.

Girl in front of her, no license - 500B 

36 minutes ago, recom273 said:

The wife got caught by the plod on their first of the month extortion exercise.

No photocopy of green book under seat - 250B

No tax disc (I forgot to put it on) - 250B 

We went to the station to pay, the guy at the gate encouraged her to go to Krung Thai bank to pay, it didn’t take her more than 5 mins at the station, but seems like processing their own BS fines is below them now.

Girl in front of her, no license - 500B 

Why are those BS fines? Break the law and get caught, the fines should be even higher for dumb asses that do stupid things like that.

seems a lot of bother over nothing...

image.jpeg.ab6857e5425605fbe700ad71c354b375.jpeg to this image.jpeg.0069ef9b452d80dac6a621704161cf44.jpeg  

anyways, you were not unlicensed; simply don't have your Licence on your person 

didn't they issued a Receipt for your surrendered rectangle of plastic? for use in the meantime... 

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

One time tourist could get a temporary Thai license correct me if Im wrong, you are only allowed to use your English license for so long

but he didn't have it on him, to show - as a means of qualifying for receiving a Temp Licence 

just dropped an egg before the chicken...

18 hours ago, jackdd said:

Your friend's bike probably only has the compulsary insurance (only pays a smaller sum and only for medical costs), this insurance also pays if you don't have a license.

If the bike should have any additional insurance or you have any health insurance, you might want to check the fine print and what it says about conditions regarding a driving license.

If you get caught by police without having a license you will probably be fined 500 THB.

and have to fill in a TM 30/28 !!!

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Since around the time that Pattaya was invented, broadly street-illegal farangs have whined about handing money over to the cops.

Now there's an awesomely easy mechanism in place where one doesn't hand over any cash to the cops... and yet they still whine.

'twas ever thus.

pretty much rubbish really . the op does not seem mature enough to be away from home . Why and how did he change his licence because of brexit which has not happened yet and if it did would make no difference to his licence and you can hold as many licences for as many countries as you want . I f he had a uk licence he could keep that and get a licence for his own country and get a IDP  so he either either dumb or talking rubbish

6 minutes ago, bamboozle said:

pretty much rubbish really . the op does not seem mature enough to be away from home . Why and how did he change his licence because of brexit which has not happened yet and if it did would make no difference to his licence and you can hold as many licences for as many countries as you want . I f he had a uk licence he could keep that and get a licence for his own country and get a IDP  so he either either dumb or talking rubbish

As an aside regarding a UK driving licence: It's only valid if you permanently reside in the UK. If you live in Thailand, it ceases to be valid in the UK - or to use here as well.

I know the OP said they're "currently travelling in Thailand', so assume their UK licence will be valid if they still live on the UK.

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

As far as I know,there are no official law saying you need a drivers license for a scooter or small motorbike. But,that's what the government recently proposed. 

What's a small scooter defined as in this instance?

A lot of people seem to describe something such as a Honda Click 125cc/150cc as a 'scooter', although it is a motorbike.

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

As far as I know,there are no official law saying you need a drivers license for a scooter or small motorbike. But,that's what the government recently proposed. 

What country are you referring to?

In Thailand the vehicles are categorized by the number of wheels, not engine size or weight as far as drivers' licenses and permission to travel on certain roads. a 2 wheeler with an engine (ie motorcycle) requires a driving license to be driven and not allowed on highways / express+motorways / under+over passes and so on. The government proposal at the moment is to change the system and distinguish between small and big engine bikes so they can limit the younger people to small engines and more experienced will be able to get a license for big bikes. Hopefully once that law changes, big bike will be allowed on all those places they are now restricted from using.

Why are those BS fines? Break the law and get caught, the fines should be even higher for dumb asses that do stupid things like that.

You don’t think it’s BS for a load of cops to stand just down the road from a busy market on the 2nd of every month?

Letting sidecars (rot puan) pass by, all are illegal road vehicles, most are built on untaxed and unregistered vehicles.

No cars were stopped, just bikes.

My wife had her helmet on.

Taking 250B for not having a photocopy of the logbook (I have a copy of both mine in my backpack, but the wife had never heard of this in her 46 years)

Then, for double the price of that crime, you can quite happily ride around without a driving license.

This is the second time in 10 years we have been stopped in town, so for 1000B for 10 years, you could ride around without a license. What a bargain! No need to take a test at that price!

That’s not BS ??

I sincerely hope you break your leg when you fall off your high horse.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

There's no official law that says you need a drivers license for a scooter. 

Can you detail what you mean with that or it is rubbish.

For a traditional motor powered two wheeler of 100 ccm upward you need a driving license in Thailand.

There seems to be some toy things with 50ccm or handicap vehicles that no DL is needed.

But else?

Before I got my Thai motorcycle DL I was stopped in Pattaya.

I showed my Thai car DL. No mercy.

400 Baht at police station.

Negotiated to 500 Baht on the spot and off I went.

Archived