11 elephants died, 2 survived Khao Yai waterfall

webfact

10 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Wouldn't be so sure about them having been herded by park rangers

Please explain this strange opinion. The news reported the park rangers herded them there and admitted to doing so. I find it strange posts like yours where no one wants to believe or talk about what really happened. This was an avoidable, man made tragedy. Nothing more, nothing less. The elephants deserve better care than being driven in fear to the most dangerous place in the park that they never venture to themselves, panicking and screaming seeing their families and themselves falling to cruel deaths. Lessons could be learned preventing future such debacles, but no we have to find blame somewhere else and ignore what really happened.

9 hours ago, canopy said:

Let's not forget this was no natural tragedy. The elephants did not go to the cliffs willingly and were smart enough to never go there on their own. They were deliberately herded by park rangers and forced to this dangerous point where they were scared and died. Why is no one talking about this?

Where did you hear that nonsense? It there a Thai version of FOX news? 

14 hours ago, Guitar God said:

Where did you hear that nonsense? It there a Thai version of FOX news? 

Why don't you: (A) read this thread as others have already provided direct quotes from news stories supporting this. How hard can that be as there is only 3 pages? And (B) look at previous reputable news stories on this site where these facts were released. Again, how hard can that be as there aren't many? Then you can see how stupid your comment is, apologize, and join the discussion if you wish.

21 hours ago, nchuckle said:

"... viewed the danger posed by the falls as beyond anyone’s power to control.

“I have therefore ordered the construction of a barricade to prevent wildlife from falling into the waterfall,” he said."

Does he not see the irony of his self contradiction in this statement?

After seeing what torrential rain for 4 days near where i live, can do, with bridges being washed away, i can only imagine an elephant sliding into a barricade at the top of a waterfall, yep that'll work. NOT !

the deputy environment minister said yesterday in press conference, that elephants died, because they were crossing the river in search of water or food.

That can't be truth, because there is plenty of water and hence plenty of food.

Elephants have died, because they were chased off the road by the park wardens and into danger area of waterfalls. During press conference he did not mention this fact at all.

It all looks like whitewashing the wardens from any responsibility from what happen. Now is time for show off, building fences and even barricades. Non will work, because it's not possible to fence off river from animals - they would just starve.

Judging from the picture of press conference - there are 3 military officers, 5 volunteers from the king's paramilitary run charity, policeman and 4 civilians. There are not any park wardens in uniforms. Are they are being sidelined?

On 10/9/2019 at 12:45 PM, canopy said:

The news reported the park rangers herded them there and admitted to doing so.

Sorry I didn't see that news. Hence my more cautious standpoint, although I'm generally in agreement with you. The elephants do appear to have perished as a result of some deliberately directed impact. It is wrong and sad.

On 10/9/2019 at 9:50 AM, Thingamabob said:

Massive cover up going on. We will never get the truth. What is inescapable is these animals were chased to their death.

I doubt it, more likely there was good food near the top of the falls, ... as the other Elephants had been sensible enough to stay away, and not eat there !!! ... But these Elephants could have been hungry .... and knew the danger, so took care ..... but a calf fell in ... and then they all rushed forward, to try to help it, or just in trauma at it's loss ... and then they all accidentally fell in. ... It Happens.

Social Group Animals Behavior. - A Story from Faroese Ships officers and Captains .... Even handed People, but who know Whales, another group of Very social animals, ... Like Elephants, .... Why ? and How do Whales get Beached En Mass, every now and again ? .... Their story, the Faroese, ex fishermen, ... who know whales (And occasionally Hunt Pilot Whales ... by driving them ON to beaches, ... but do not hut the bigger species, and even help them when in trouble)

... As the Whales approach unknown areas, the older more experienced ones take the Lead, ... and if they start to get in to shallow water, and it is an expansive Flat, so hard to figure out which way out, ... they slow down, ... but start sending out danger warnings, in their sonar language to the rest of the pod behind them, to slow down also, ... but some times the younger Whales panic, ... and just run, after hearing the dander warnings, ... and just surge past the older ones at speed, ... and then end up Beached on the shore ! ... And well then the whole pod just hangs around, ... until they all are beached, as they just cannot bear to leave the Young ones behind ! 

So possibly Ditto for these Elephants ? and well, I know the main driving factors for Elephants, and that is FOOD. ...  So if there was a lot of it by the top of the waterfall, ... well THAT would be the most likely reason that they were there.

Like who would drive a Heard of Elephants in to a water fall Chasm !!! ??? .... Common Fellows !!! ...  Like they could not even get to their Bodies ! so not eve any Potential profit in it !!! 

They almost certainly were there for Eating ! ... Like that basically is all that Elephants do for 22 hrs a day !!! like just about right through the night also, like I have been on Elephant Safaris in Eastern Cambodia, through the jungle for 3 days (Before they band it I think, as the Elephants started to spit the dummy, and attack the Tourists !!! ... I have heard, .... like I already had guessed why they always had a little guy following you, on foot !!! ... Like to rescue you, if the elephant threw You, and the Driver off, incapacitating you all, .... ... And then to probably try to recapture the elephant I guess  ... ?) ...

Any way, while I was there I was watching their nature and motivation. ... and Eating was just about all of it. ... More from under the ground than above, which they dug up with their big Toe Nails, .... (If they could not find a banana tree !!!) 

... Like How do you find your Elephant if they run away ? ... Well apart from following their <deleted>, or foot prints in the mud, you can cut with the chase, so they said, ... and just go to the nearest Banana plantation, ... because that is where it will be !!! ... as they just LOVE eating banana Trees !!!

... So maybe there were some pretty nice ones, just maturing near the top of that waterfall ? ... More than Likely I would not mind betting ? 

6 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Like who would drive a Heard of Elephants in to a water fall Chasm !!! ???

Duh! We know the answer as to WHO did it and WHY they did it. If you want to understand what happened you need to take into account factual information from the people that were there rather than speculate in the dark. The elephants might very well have ended up on highway 3077 that day looking for food. What we know for sure is they were then deliberately herded by park rangers to the waterfall, the most dangerous place in the park where they were cornered, scared, and panicked. It was said nothing like this has happened for 30 years. It's not clear to me, but it sounds like the 30 year old event might have been caused by the same thing--park rangers herding panicking elephants to a dangerous location. Elephants are smart creatures, a lot smarter than you give them credit for. They just don't go looking for food and end up dead. This tragedy was caused by man's deliberate actions.

2 hours ago, canopy said:

Duh! We know the answer as to WHO did it and WHY they did it. If you want to understand what happened you need to take into account factual information from the people that were there rather than speculate in the dark. The elephants might very well have ended up on highway 3077 that day looking for food. What we know for sure is they were then deliberately herded by park rangers to the waterfall, the most dangerous place in the park where they were cornered, scared, and panicked. It was said nothing like this has happened for 30 years. It's not clear to me, but it sounds like the 30 year old event might have been caused by the same thing--park rangers herding panicking elephants to a dangerous location. Elephants are smart creatures, a lot smarter than you give them credit for. They just don't go looking for food and end up dead. This tragedy was caused by man's deliberate actions.

Well if this Info from on the ground is true, ... then it does make it more Clear. ... Lets hope that they learn by it, and do not do it again ... stupidity ! I think, ... or lack of for thought, ... but well, if it has not happened for 30 years, then yes, every one would have forgotten about it .... thinking that the elephants would not fall in ! ....

So now they know that they will !!! Lets hope that they learnt by this and that it does not happen again. ... Luckily there are a LOT of Elephants I think ? ... but lets not let it happen again, ....

Like how is the Park for Elephants re area ? Like is there room to heard them any where else ! ? I think in the park down south of Bangkok there is not, like it is over Populated with Elephants ... in the places that Elephants want to stay. Like valley places with water and food, not Dry Desolate Mountain tops.

Good blog, if you are right about what actually did happen on the ground. Thanks.

3 hours ago, canopy said:

So lets just sat "Stupid and Miss-guided actions" ... Like they did not deliberately heard then over the Cliff, ... they made a mistake ! .... Like we all do. ... and YES, I do agree that Elephants are smart enough not to go looking for food, and fall in to a waterfall chasm, under Natural circumstances. ? Probably. as ... Still, you DO never know also ! ? Like Whales beach them selves by accident, a stupid thing to do ! ... But all by them selves, and with out any Human interference all of the time ! ... Well Occasionally, ... But Regularly. ... maybe Elephants could make a mistake also, like a young one, gets to close ...  falls, ... and the rest would follow it !!! ??? 

I do know that for suck big animals they can climb up almost Cliffs ! with out to much problem, like they have VERY good balance for such a big Beast ! ... and they are Big with a long reach with their legs ! so all you need is a couple of ledges, just big enough for them to get most of their big feet on, ... every 2 m or so up the cliff, or steep rise really, and they CAN balance on them, ... and then reach up the 2m with their front feet, ... move their weight, and then lift them selves up to the next ledge up,.... and so on !!! Like I ... And My Wife ! ... have been on ther backs while they are doing it ! and well, it AS quite amazing just how much strength, ...and Balance that they do have ! though well they do take it slowly ! ...

Yearrr, they must have fallen, like Elephants are good swimmers you know ! ...and they can use their trunks for a snorkel, so as they probably could float near the surface ...they always could survive ! 

Like in Johore Baru, right down the bottom of the Malay peninsular, they decided to relocate a small Heard of Elephants, that were being Nuances in the area,.... like there still is quite a bit of Jungle down there, but well, Elephants DO get over Populated, and they DO wander to find more food, ... and the sort of food that they like, ... like banana trees. ...

So the Malays took them by Boat, and put them on a reasonable sized island right out in the Singapore straights ..Oh say about 10 ? to 20 Km off shore !!! ...  But it was only a few days, .. and they were all right back where they had started off, ...  like they swam the several Kilometers across the Ocean, to get back to where they thought was their Home. ... ( Using their trunks as snorkels, right ! ? ) ... Like they must float pretty well, and can obviously swim, with their Big legs and flat feet ! ... 

Like, Elephants like walking along Roads also you know, (I think) ...  and not through the jungle, as it is easier going along the road ! and well being a break in the Canopy, they have good vegetation to eat, growing along side them also, watered by the run off from the road ... like why you get a LOT of Kangaroos along side the Roads in Northern Australia right ! ? .... (Before they hop out in to your car, ... or in front of it, and smash you radiator in !!! as you hit them ! ) 

... So well, when the rangers headed them back in to the park, ... the chance they they just headed off down the road, ... that led to the top of the waterfall, ...  the one that was for the tourists to use ... is also pretty likely, ...  with out any help from any one else ! ... 

• 1 month later...

A couple of things spring to mind; How the hell does a 10-12' tall animal (14-15'if you count the trunk) drown in 3-4' of water? and, how have they "confirmed" 11 dead elephants yet only found 10 bodies?

Another thing that's beyond stupid but typically human, putting up a barricade to stop animals used to push huge walls and trees down? Really? Did this guy ever study even Thai history? 

Archived