Britain tells EU: compromise on Brexit or we'll get nasty: Spectator source

snoop1130

17 hours ago, Jip99 said:

You haven’t mentioned the Brexit party.

Also consider the possibility of Boris getting a Brexit deal done before any election. What will the Liberals  campaign on then ? 

You are moving the goal posts.

Current GE debates are on the possibility of the election being in an extension period.

If the UK is out of the EU before an election then everything changes. No party will be campaigning on brexit and the brexit party will be redundant.

The outcome will then hinge on how voters react to his actions and how he will deal with the expense of brexit.

The party political broadcast by the Queen on Monday should be interesting.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, jayboy said:

I don't think so.I agree it's difficult predict without knowing the numbers after the (presumably) forthcoming election.But I can see no circumstances regardless of numbers in the H of C under which the Lib Dems would join with the Tories.Remember the Tories have now largely rooted out their One Nation Remainer numbers, so would be even more unacceptable to the Lib Dems.

In the likely event of another hung parliament I can certainly see the Lib Dems, the SNP and Labour (post Corbyn) working together and possibly forming a coalition government.

Every MP would rather sit on the government benches than the opposition, powerful motivation.

I don't see the Lib Dems working with Labour any more likely than the Tories, at the end of the day time will tell, it usually does.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Every MP would rather sit on the government benches than the opposition, powerful motivation.

I don't see the Lib Dems working with Labour any more likely than the Tories, at the end of the day time will tell, it usually does.

I'm sorry but that is simply not true.There are many MPs who would rather be on the opposition benches rather than work with a Johnson or Corbyn government.

You are also wrong in thinking the Lib Dems would be as uncomfortable working with a Labour Government as a Tory Government.

20 hours ago, jayboy said:

I don't think so.I agree it's difficult predict without knowing the numbers after the (presumably) forthcoming election.But I can see no circumstances regardless of numbers in the H of C under which the Lib Dems would join with the Tories.Remember the Tories have now largely rooted out their One Nation Remainer numbers, so would be even more unacceptable to the Lib Dems.

In the likely event of another hung parliament I can certainly see the Lib Dems, the SNP and Labour (post Corbyn) working together and possibly forming a coalition government.

"In the likely event of another hung parliament I can certainly see the Lib Dems, the SNP and Labour (post Corbyn) working together and possibly forming a coalition government."

That would be an 'interesting' alliance - that could only lead to even further distrust about politicians amongst the majority of the electorate!

19 hours ago, nauseus said:

Your "statement" quoted 3rd party reports that were without reference. You are being far too dramatic and I don't like it. I am not baiting, flaming, trolling, fishing or chipping.

You know that I disagree with your new sovereignty and border claims but I'm not going through that again for the nth time.

I've just given you a starter reference. Scroll through it and you could come to what I posted. Of course, much water has gone under the bridge since I read it, and I don't have a absolute reference to hand, but my memory (and my post at that time on here) still holds good on such matters - mainly because it made me wince that job-queue people voted leave because it was better than what they had. Tory enforced austerity, biting against the poor.

And what could again occur when the brexit bill has to be settled.

1 hour ago, el torro said:

"In the likely event of another hung parliament I can certainly see the Lib Dems, the SNP and Labour (post Corbyn) working together and possibly forming a coalition government."

That would be an 'interesting' alliance - that could only lead to even further distrust about politicians amongst the majority of the electorate!

Why? That coalition would represent the majority of the electorate.

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

I'm sorry but that is simply not true.There are many MPs who would rather be on the opposition benches rather than work with a Johnson or Corbyn government.

You are also wrong in thinking the Lib Dems would be as uncomfortable working with a Labour Government as a Tory Government.

I take it the words "in my opinion" was a deliberate omission.

Terms like "simply not true" and "You are also wrong" are the height of arrogance when putting forward an opinion. You are perfectly free to believe your opinion is fact, but it does't make it so.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I take it the words "in my opinion" was a deliberate omission.

Terms like "simply not true" and "You are also wrong" are the height of arrogance when putting forward an opinion. You are perfectly free to believe your opinion is fact, but it does't make it so.

It's not a question of opinion because the matters under discussion do not really admit a different explanation.If you , against all the odds, have facts to counter the unarguable - e.g that all MPs will sacrifice their principles for power -, no doubt you will provide them.

Once again we have someone labouring under the delusion that one man's opinion is as good as another's.It isn't - especially when one isn't up to scratch with the subject under discussion.

Jacob Rees-Mogg prepared to 'eat his words' on Brexit customs compromise

Jacob Rees-Mogg is prepared to "eat his own words" and back a Brexit plan he had previously described as "completely cretinous".

The Leader of the Commons admitted he was willing to u-turn in his opposition to the UK entering a form of customs partnership with the EU - a reported compromise Boris Johnson has struck with Brussels in the most recent negotiations.

The plan was originally floated by Theresa May, but it is believed to have been scaled back so that only Northern Ireland will be in the arrangement - which would see the UK collecting EU tariffs on goods entering Northern Ireland.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/13/jacob-rees-mogg-prepared-eat-words-brexit-customs-compromise/

Et tu JRM? 

Also consider the possibility of Boris getting a Brexit deal done before any election. What will the Liberals  campaign on then ? 
I'll mention the Brexit Party. Less of a bunch of loons than UKIP. As for Boris deal, its not a done deal until passes Parliament. Boris hasn't got a working majority.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, jayboy said:

Once again we have someone labouring under the delusion that one man's opinion is as good as another's.It isn't - especially when one isn't up to scratch with the subject under discussion.

There is arrogance and then there is self delusion.

As for sacrificing principles.

Who knows what Boris Johnson really believes, least of all him?

He previously said “what most people in this country want is the single market”, and he would personally vote to remain a member of it.

He told the BBC Andrew Marr Show in 2012: ″We would like a new relationship. And it’s very simple – what most people in this country want is the Single Market, the Common Market.”

https://eu-rope.ideasoneurope.eu/2018/02/14/boris-johnson-remember-what-he-said/

16 hours ago, sandyf said:

There is arrogance and then there is self delusion.

As for sacrificing principles.

Who knows what Boris Johnson really believes, least of all him?

He previously said “what most people in this country want is the single market”, and he would personally vote to remain a member of it.

He told the BBC Andrew Marr Show in 2012: ″We would like a new relationship. And it’s very simple – what most people in this country want is the Single Market, the Common Market.”

https://eu-rope.ideasoneurope.eu/2018/02/14/boris-johnson-remember-what-he-said/

I gather it is quite a while since BJ last said that?

Not only done but voted in favour by Parliament. Currently the opposition will only agree an election once no-deal is off the table, so follow that pathway....

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

I gather it is quite a while since BJ last said that?

He is a chancer and it was only just before the referendum that he went with leave when he saw a potential opportunity for Cameron's job. There is a saying about spots.

During the 2016 referendum, Mr Johnson and other Vote Leave campaigners were hard to pin down on whether they wanted to negotiate continued membership of the single market after Britain left.

But immediately after the referendum, he said Britain would still “have access to the single market”.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/how-boris-johnson-has-changed-his-views-on-europe

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

He is a chancer and it was only just before the referendum that he went with leave when he saw a potential opportunity for Cameron's job. There is a saying about spots.

During the 2016 referendum, Mr Johnson and other Vote Leave campaigners were hard to pin down on whether they wanted to negotiate continued membership of the single market after Britain left.

But immediately after the referendum, he said Britain would still “have access to the single market”.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/how-boris-johnson-has-changed-his-views-on-europe

Facile.

What does that make Corbyn ???

All politicians are opportunists and very few Tory politicians initially supported Leave.

17 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Facile.

What does that make Corbyn ???

All politicians are opportunists and very few Tory politicians initially supported Leave.

Stay on topic, the post was in response to a comment regarding Johnson, not Corbyn. Do not use my post to introduce your own agenda.

Archived