Jump to content
BANGKOK
Dazinoz

Renewing Drivers Licenses in Chiang Mai.

Recommended Posts

Rolled up to DLT at 09:30 this morning to renew bike and car drivers licenses. Went to checking counter where she checked my paperwork and said goto counter 27. At counter 27 she asked for existing licenses, attached each with a form in Thai to my existing paperwork and said come back tomorrow 08:00 as I was too late today.

 

Heaps of people there both up and downstairs. 

 

Will update with experience tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are tons of Thai people there almost everyday. It's not something unusual.

 

Sadly, the accident rate is still high.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many DLT offices overrun. It's for the early birds.

And if you want to make new license from scratch (not renew) you might have to wait days or weeks for appointment.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EricTh said:

There are tons of Thai people there almost everyday. It's not something unusual.

 

Sadly, the accident rate is still high.

This is the most I have ever seen there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, iainiain101 said:

Can you use the TM30 print out as proof of address?

Pretty sure no. They want a Residency Certificate.

 

I once went to a bank to open an account. A branch of the same bank told me what I needed but I had to goto another branch to open the account. One of the things that they told me I needed was a copy of my rental agreement. So I took that to the branch. They told me I needed residency certificate. I said but all I do is take my rental agreement to immigration and they issue letter to say that's where I live even without checking. No go. I did not open the account.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 4:36 PM, Dazinoz said:

Ok, I went back 7.30 this morning and heaps people already even though counters don't open until 8.00. As I was waiting security guard who was organising people calling out in Thai but I recognised "passport". Oh heck, forgot mine. Luckily I live close so shot home and got it and back by 7.55. By then they were allowing people upstairs. Queue went from counter 27 right back to the other end of the building did a loop and down the stairs. I joined the queue halfway up the stairs. Finally reached counter 27 and given my coloured card. Waited awhile and my colour was called to go in for colour test. Then into room 3 to watch the video for about 45 mins. After that back to the info counter for a queue number. about 40 mins my number called to go pay, then into photo/license issue area. Another 15 minutes and I was called and licenses issued. I was out by 11.00. So not too bad.

 

I am on retirement visa extension so my documents needed were:-

 

Residency Certificate. (I was renewing car and bike licenses so needed 2 but just did a colour photocopy of the original and was accepted.)

Copies of existing licenses back and front.

Copy of passport photo page and current visa extension stamp.

 

No medical required.

 

All up with change of address on both was 860baht.

 

Hi, My initial 2-year licences are due to expire end of November, so happy to find this post. I had assumed I would need a medical certificate. Did you have one and they said "No, you don't need that" or you just didn't take one? The only consistency here is the inconsistency and I don't want to turn up without one and be turned away. Also is it still the case you can't apply for new licence till the day after the existing one has run out?

Edited by ianwheldale
Addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ianwheldale said:

Hi, My initial 2-year licences are due to expire end of November, so happy to find this post. I had assumed I would need a medical certificate. Did you have one and they said "No, you don't need that" or you just didn't take one? The only consistency here is the inconsistency and I don't want to turn up without one and be turned away. Also is it still the case you can't apply for new licence till the day after the existing one has run out?

 

Yes, you need a recent medical certificate valid for one month.

 

No, you can renew your licence one month (or is it 3 months earlier I can't remember) before expiry date.

 

Get a residence certificate first as that would take sometime.

 

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, EricTh said:

No, you can renew your licence one month (or is it 3 months earlier I can't remember) before expiry date.

Sure: for renewing 5yr license it's 3 months ahead (if one prefers).

Not sure whether there is different rule for the temporary (2 yr).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2019 at 6:51 PM, ianwheldale said:

Hi, My initial 2-year licences are due to expire end of November, so happy to find this post. I had assumed I would need a medical certificate. Did you have one and they said "No, you don't need that" or you just didn't take one? The only consistency here is the inconsistency and I don't want to turn up without one and be turned away. Also is it still the case you can't apply for new licence till the day after the existing one has run out?

I did not take medical certificate because I read I did not need one and was not asked.

 

As far as I can gather you need one to go from 2 year to first 5 year licence but don't need to renew 5 year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2019 at 7:14 PM, EricTh said:

Yes, you need a recent medical certificate valid for one month.

I did not take one and was not asked for one.

 

As far as I can gather you need one to go from 2 year to first 5 year licence but don't need to renew 5 year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

I did not take one and was not asked for one.

 

As far as I can gather you need one to go from 2 year to first 5 year licence but don't need to renew 5 year.

Well, that's something new.

 

When I went from 0 to 2 years, I needed one.

When I went from 2 years to 5 years, I needed one too.

I haven't reached the point of 5 years to another 5 years.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, EricTh said:

Well, that's something new.

 

When I went from 0 to 2 years, I needed one.

When I went from 2 years to 5 years, I needed one too.

I haven't reached the point of 5 years to another 5 years.

 

 

 

Same as you I needed for first 2 steps but didn't for 5 to 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...