Do you still avoid Ford Focus ?

thairookie

The problem was the issues with the dual clutch gearbox on the Focus and Fiesta models. Some problems for the 2012-15 models. Shame because they were both great cars. I have had my Fiesta for over 4 years and no problems whatsoever. Supposedly Ford fixed it with software updates.

I bought a 2013 Focus Sports model when it was 15 months old with 25,000 km on the clock. It was still under warranty. About a year later Ford replaced the clutch and gearbox under warranty. It was shuddering. The spare parts were sent from the USA. It's a great little car. I plan to keep it. 

If you buy the later facelift model, they are an EcoBoost turbo engine without the troublesome dual clutch gearbox.

The MK4 won't come to Thailand as the market has lost confidence with the brand.

They only sell trucks and SUVs here now.

6 minutes ago, HTC said:

If you buy the later facelift model, they are an EcoBoost turbo engine without the troublesome dual clutch gearbox.

The MK4 won't come to Thailand as the market has lost confidence with the brand.

They only sell trucks and SUVs here now.

And Mustangs.  Ford went of the sedan business it only sells trucks and suvs in the US too.

Had a 2003 Ford Focus for  12 years- 500,000 K-  no trouble- finaly gave out in 2015.  Purchased a 2015 Ford Fiesta- nothing but trouble- 6 speed trans never worked right- they could not fix it-  many people in both Thailand and USA have gone to court in a class action - suit- still ongoing.  

I had a Fiesta.

Bought in 2017 with 20,000 KM on the clock. Transmission shat itself after 5,000 KM. After going in and out of the Ford dealer 4 times due to their cheapstake trial-and-error fix as they've been advised by the parent company, the transmission was replaced under warranty, taking over a month and no loaner car given (I don't know why I still expect to have this Thailand, but it's quite pathetic to expect customers to use the non-existent public transport in Pattaya).

Reached 50,000 KM before selling it, had no issues after transmission was replaced. But 30,000 KM is absolutely nothing and doesn't tell anything about whether or not the transmission will last. For those who really want a Fiesta, buy it and manual swap it. Costs 50k including labor and 100k in depreciation because it's a manual.

For those that really want a Focus but are worried, get the new one with the 1.5 ecoboost engine, the transmission has been replaced with a traditional torque-converter automatic. 2 year old Focus for 500,000 baht is a steal in my opinion.

On 10/9/2019 at 6:21 PM, Henryford said:

I think they stopped some time ago. No mention of Focus/Fiesta on their web site.

I heard Ford will stop making cars in America due to lack of interest. Only SUVs and trucks. I guess crossovers are included.

It used to be the most popular small car in Europe. Drove several and fitted with the right sized engine I liked it.

Then along came 'environmental requirements' and the upgrades didn't adapt well with a retrospective design.

Kudos to Ford for accepting their heritage and expertise to do what they're good at, rather than be dictated to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 8:24 PM, MatteoBassini said:

For those that really want a Focus but are worried, get the new one with the 1.5 ecoboost engine, the transmission has been replaced with a traditional torque-converter automatic. 2 year old Focus for 500,000 baht is a steal in my opinion.

The model on my first post is a 2015 model.  Is this the model that has the problematic gearbox ?  

Archived