Getting a Residency Certificate (for Thai Drivers License)at Chon Buri Immigration Office

Just wanted to post on experience of getting Residency Certificate at Chon Buri Immigration, which I needed for my Thai Drivers License.  The process is actually very quick and efficient at this time at this particular Imm office  May or may not be the same at other provincial offices. 

I arrived at 2pm on Monday with the following paperwork in hand:

• Completed application form  (you can download a blank form at end of this post.)
  • Copy of TM-30 (new rule at Chon Buri is that it MUST be signed by your landlord)
  • A copy of my rental contract (also signed by landlord)
  • My original passport, plus copies of main page, TM7 arrival card, visa page, and extension stamp page.
  • 2 photos of approved size on white background.

My paperwork was reviewed and approved by the nice and efficient girls at the information desk when you first enter building, and given a queue ticket to submit paperwork to an Imm officer.  I waited only about 10 minutes to be called to submit paperwork.  Was told to come back in one hour (not next day as is true at many Imm offices) for completed Certificate. 

During that time I went to a medical clinic around the corner and up the street about a 10 minute walk from Imm office to get a medical certificate needed for my drivers license application.  If you need one, here is the location of clinic: https://goo.gl/maps/pabyczhG4HHv1yoU6.  That test took 5 minutes to do and only consisted of a blood pressure test.  The nurse filled out the medical certificate while another did blood test.  Cost was 100 baht.  Out of there in less than 10 minutes. Headed back to the Imm office after running a few other errands and the certificate was ready for me when I got there 45 minutes later.

Pretty simple getting all the paperwork I needed for getting my drivers license in little more than an hour.  Jomtien Immigration Office seems to be run pretty efficiently and all personnel were very pleasant and helpful.   

FYI, I went to Department of Land Transportation today to get my drivers license and found this office to be equally efficient and friendly.  I posted a report on my experience at ChumBuri DLT here:  

Thai-Residency-Certificate-Form.pdf

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So it was free then?

No it was not free.  360 baht for the certificate I believe...maybe 500 (I wasn't really paying attention), 100 baht for 2 photos, 100 baht for medical certificate.  The certificate fee is (or used to be) free if you were willing to wait a week or so to get it.  I don't think you have an option for it being free at ChonBuri.  Well worth paying for it at ChonBuri because you get it one hour later.  I think most other provincial offices make you come back the next day for it.

For anyone doing the Cert Res for Drivers license, the fees for drivers license (converting from home-country / IDP) was 205 baht total.

Edited by WaveHunter

26 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

No it was not free.  360 baht for the certificate I believe

I am not certain, but I thought I paid 200 for mine (one) in June 2017... just wonder, have they gone up?

52 minutes ago, Greenhill said:

When I enquired yesterday at the Land Transport Office, Pattaya about the docs. needed to renew a Thai 5 year licence, they specifically told me a medical certificate is not required - although it may have been in the past!

I did mine in Chiang Mai today and no medical required.

5 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

No it was not free.  360 baht for the certificate I believe...maybe 500 (I wasn't really paying attention), 100 baht for 2 photos, 100 baht for medical certificate.  The certificate fee is (or used to be) free if you were willing to wait a week or so to get it.  I don't think you have an option for it being free at ChonBuri.  Well worth paying for it at ChonBuri because you get it one hour later.  I think most other provincial offices make you come back the next day for it.

For anyone doing the Cert Res for Drivers license, the fees for drivers license (converting from home-country / IDP) was 205 baht total.

In Chiang Mai the Certificate itself is free but I had to wait 3 weeks for it. Apparently if I paid 500 I could get it next day.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

In Chiang Mai the Certificate itself is free but I had to wait 3 weeks for it. Apparently if I paid 500 I could get it next day.

That's why I was surprised that in ChonBuri you get it in one hour!  More than happy to pay for such express service.  I think ChonBuri might be the only Province that provides that fast of a turnaround.

Edited by WaveHunter

19 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I did mine in Chiang Mai today and no medical required.

Is that specified that no medical is required, or they just did not ask for it this time?  How long were you in the Imm office for submitting paperwork; how long expected for picking up certificate? 

1 hour ago, Greenhill said:

When I enquired yesterday at the Land Transport Office, Pattaya about the docs. needed to renew a Thai 5 year licence, they specifically told me a medical certificate is not required - although it may have been in the past!

Their instructions say it is required.  Very easy to get it since there's a doctor's office only a 10 minute walk from ChonBuri Imm office in Jomtien, where you have to get your Certificate of residence anyway.  That takes an hour to process and you can easily go get your medical during that time.  It's kind of ridiculous to be honest since all they do is check your blood pressure, ask you your height and weight, and that's it.  You pay 100 baht and you are out the door in 5 minutes.   Here's the doctor's location if anybody want to know:  https://goo.gl/maps/Ht2ydymMUjB58A6f7

20 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Is that specified that no medical is required, or they just did not ask for it this time?  How long were you in the Imm office for submitting paperwork; how long expected for picking up certificate? 

I checked online somewhere (can't remember) and it did say for 5 year renewal not required so I did not bother getting one. Was half expecting them to ask.

23 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

How long were you in the Imm office for submitting paperwork; how long expected for picking up certificate? 

Ok, checked on net as to what I needed and downloaded application form for Residency Certificate. Went to CM immigration and was told to goto counter 4. Went there and they looked at paperwork and gave me new different application form and said come back tomorrow and was too late today. They only accept application for RC between 8 and 10. Went back next day 8am and went straight to counter 4. Told I had to go upstairs where a young lady at a desk on the landing was accepting applications. Probably about 10 minutes. Would have been quicker except for a Thai couple trying to get served first. Then given card to come back in 3 weeks to collect.

50 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Ok, checked on net as to what I needed and downloaded application form for Residency Certificate. Went to CM immigration and was told to goto counter 4. Went there and they looked at paperwork and gave me new different application form and said come back tomorrow and was too late today. They only accept application for RC between 8 and 10. Went back next day 8am and went straight to counter 4. Told I had to go upstairs where a young lady at a desk on the landing was accepting applications. Probably about 10 minutes. Would have been quicker except for a Thai couple trying to get served first. Then given card to come back in 3 weeks to collect.

Wow, good to know about them only accepting applications form 8-10 since I'll be doing this all over again for motorcycle license.  ChonBuri is much more user-friendly.  No restrictions on what time you can submit, one hour processing, etc.

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

I checked online somewhere (can't remember) and it did say for 5 year renewal not required so I did not bother getting one. Was half expecting them to ask.

Maybe the requirement is only for temporary two year license, and not for renewal to five year??  Maybe Chiang Mai's requirement is just different (often CM makes up their own rules) than Chon Buri.  At any rate, it's easy and cheap to get one so I will get another one when I apply for the motorcycle license.

Edited by WaveHunter

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

I think ChonBuri might be the only Province that provides that fast of a turnaround.

Udon Thani last year about 5-10 minutes from walking into the immigration office to walking out with two certificate of residence.

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Maybe the requirement is only for temporary two year license, and not for renewal to five year??  Maybe Chiang Mai's requirement is just different (often CM makes up their own rules) than Chon Buri.  At any rate, it's easy and cheap to get one so I will get another one when I apply for the motorcycle license.

There is no requirement for a medical certificate when renewing a 5 year licence at Chonburi (and most places apparently). You were getting your first 2 year which requires a certificate.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, essox essox said:

do not get anything for free no matter where you are....cost me 360 baht for cer of res...in feb this year

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am not certain, but I thought I paid 200 for mine (one) in June 2017... just wonder, have they gone up?

Been 300 for at least 3 years. I paid 300 in June this year (at Jomtien) when I needed to get an IDP.

Edited by topt

My experience in Si Saket over the past 3 days...

Went Immigration to get a certificate, got told to go to the LTO. Submitted copies and originals. Forgot the medical certs. No photos. Got given a letter to take to Immigration. A bit late in the day so.... Next day went to Immigration. Within 15 minutes, a Certificate was in my hands, no fees, plus a new 90 day reporting date. Delayed a bit more, a bit late in the day to get to the LTO, went to get 2 medical certificates in my hands for 100 Baht. (Car and bike licences). Today, gave the residence cert and medical certs to the LTO, watched the videos, took the depth perception, colour and braking reflex tests and walked out with 2 licences for 310 baht. 205 for car and 105 for bike. I arrived at 13:00 and was on my way home with brand new licences by 14:30.I

I make no comment on other people's experiences, just saying mine. I thought it was effectively and efficiently handled and could possibly have been completed in a day, if I hadn't faffed about.

19 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

My experience in Si Saket over the past 3 days...

Went Immigration to get a certificate, got told to go to the LTO. Submitted copies and originals. Forgot the medical certs. No photos. Got given a letter to take to Immigration. A bit late in the day so.... Next day went to Immigration. Within 15 minutes, a Certificate was in my hands, no fees, plus a new 90 day reporting date. Delayed a bit more, a bit late in the day to get to the LTO, went to get 2 medical certificates in my hands for 100 Baht. (Car and bike licences). Today, gave the residence cert and medical certs to the LTO, watched the videos, took the depth perception, colour and braking reflex tests and walked out with 2 licences for 310 baht. 205 for car and 105 for bike. I arrived at 13:00 and was on my way home with brand new licences by 14:30.I

I make no comment on other people's experiences, just saying mine. I thought it was effectively and efficiently handled and could possibly have been completed in a day, if I hadn't faffed about.

Did you get a Certificate of Residence without a photo attached? 

FYI....  I went this afternoon to my local Immigration office (Nakhon Pathom) in order to obtain a Certificate of Residency to support my forthcoming 5 year driving licence renewal.

Entered the office at 2:30pm.  There were 4 IO at their desks - 3 for extensions and 1 for 90 day reporting and re-entry stamping.  There were 2 customers being served by the extension IOs.  Apart from myself and the other 2 customers there were no else waiting.

Handed my application form to the admin lady who was manning the reception desk by the entrance door, and she directed me to one of the IO who was free.  I handed the IO my application form and my passport.  He immediately placed the photo page of my passport onto the scanner on his desk and then looked at his screen.  I could see clearly that it was the information from the chip in my passport (including the photo).  He then scrolled through his computer for a few moments  Again I could see clearly that he was checking my extension history, TM30 and 90 day status.

Although I had copies of my passport he only asked me if I had 2 photos.  He put the photo page of my passport onto a normal printer/scanner and ran off a copy which he asked me to sign.  He then asked me to take a seat in the waiting area and handed my application form, copy of my passport photo page and 2 photos to one of the admin ladies in the back office.

10 minutes later the admin lady appeared and handed the IO the letter and my passport,  He checked it, signed it and endorsed my photo/letter with a large round red stamp.  He then beckoned me back over and hand me the letter and my passport.

I walked out of the office at 2:45pm.  Cost.... FREE ???? as it should be.

I have previously commented that the staff at Nakhon Pathom Immigration Office are really helpful and good.  I've seen them working under pressure, with a waiting area full, and yet they smile, chat with their customer and treat everyone with respect.

From what I read on TV Nakhon Pathom IO staff are and exception.  I just hope they stay like that. 

On 10/9/2019 at 11:46 AM, jacko45k said:
On 10/9/2019 at 11:19 AM, WaveHunter said:

No it was not free.  360 baht for the certificate I believe

When TRAT transport office refused to register a car for me with yellow book and pink I D,  Trat immigration gave one to me free, even rang the L.T.O. to no avail, processed it straight away as i had to return to L.T.O. before it closed. 

Edited by brianthainess

18 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

When TRAT transport office refused to register a car for me with yellow book and pink I D,  Trat immigration gave one to me free, even rang the L.T.O. to no avail, processed it straight away as i had to return to L.T.O. before it closed. 

Early last year I paid 300 baht for mine at Jomtien Immigration. 

why the TM 30, may i ask, i havent been anywhere, , why is not just my rental agreement ok, used that before, only  my bike/car licence is up soon,, want to get it right. and someone posted no medical cert if going for a 5 year licence, ? i will be going to Jomtien office can some one confirm a yes or a no, thanks

Edited by mercman24