BANGKOK
webfact

Farmers to be asked not to plant second rice crop due to water shortage

Farmers to be asked not to plant second rice crop due to water shortage

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM6G0De8HRpfu205QYWmxuSmnM

Farmers in the Chao Phraya River basin may not be able to plant their second rice crop for the 2019-20 season due to insufficient water to meet the demand.

According to the Royal Irrigation Department, only 6 billion cubic metres (m3) of water will be available for use throughout the forthcoming dry season from the four main reservoirs, namely Bhumibol, Sirikit, Kwae Noi Bamrung Dan and Pasak Cholasit.

Although, the remainder of the rainy season, which lasts until the end of this month, will bring another 752 million cubic metres of rain water, the Royal Irrigation Department predicts that there will not be enough water to support a second crop. 

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/farmers-to-be-asked-not-to-plant-second-rice-crop-due-to-water-shortage/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

This won't be popular with the local peasantry, most of them grow the food they eat.

What should they eat if they don't grow the food they eat?

let them eat cake. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, bheard said:

I'd suggest that those farmers lucky enough to have inherited land in areas where two crops can be grown are not those "poor" farmers you write about.

Sent from my SM-T385 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Right ; poor farmers in Issan , surely , but not along Chao Praya river ;

if farmers can sell a significant part of their crops they aren't poor .

One of my brother in law has about 15 rai of rice;

it's not enough for living all the year; so he must work as a mixer truck driver sometimes ....

I buy all my rice from him at a better price than the market .

For a normal family 8 to 10 rai of hom mali rice ( 40 % )  and sticky rice ( 60 % ) are enough .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not sure why everyone is blaming the government, unless they can control the weather there is not much to be done. 

Besides farmers should not be able to use all the water and let others suffer for their greed. Water for normal households should come first.

Of course the government can control the weather. We've seen our PM kissing frogs as part of his awesome weather-controlling powers.