Acrylic crack needs bonding--Anyone know of a solution?

steelepulse

I have a crack in the corner of 1.5 inch thick acrylic and I thought I could perhaps fix this with weld-on 40.  However, the company that makes this says they don't sell in Thailand.  I tried to buy some on ebay, but they say shipping won't allow this type of chemical to be shipped.

Does anyone know of a company that specializes in acrylic manufacture and or repair?  I've contacted Reynolds, but they  want to just sell me a whole new setup.

IMG_20190919_154139.jpg

IMG_20190919_154144.jpg

Try and find a 3M technical rep - They have products that will bind acrylic - You could also try a shop that makes signs - Many large signs are made from cut acrylic .. which are bonded to various things

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

19 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Google Translate seems to work quite well with that site, and they have an online store https://www.3mdelivery.com/

Looks to be worth a bookmark.

Looks like either they don't carry anything, or their site is not functioning.  I selected all of their products and not one comes up.

https://www.3mdelivery.com/silicone-sealant-146/sct/146?filter_brand[]=1&filter_brand[]=70&filter_brand[]=3&filter_brand[]=67&filter_brand[]=11&filter_brand[]=23&filter_brand[]=53&filter_brand[]=62&filter_brand[]=80&filter_brand[]=86&price_low=&price_high=&sort_by=price_hightolow

3 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Looks like either they don't carry anything, or their site is not functioning.  I selected all of their products and not one comes up.

Stuff that's outside the "adhesive grout ..." section seems to work, can even add to the cart. It's possible these items don't carry stock in Thailand. https://www.3mdelivery.com/aerosol-adhesive/sct/148

It's worth having a look at the Malaysia and Singapore sites, they may have what you need and will hopefully ship here.

25 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Stuff that's outside the "adhesive grout ..." section seems to work, can even add to the cart. It's possible these items don't carry stock in Thailand. https://www.3mdelivery.com/aerosol-adhesive/sct/148

It's worth having a look at the Malaysia and Singapore sites, they may have what you need and will hopefully ship here.

Shipping here to TH seems to be the main issue with what I am looking for.

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

Shipping here to TH seems to be the main issue with what I am looking for.

Im sure oif you prowl around a local market you will find some. I got some blue loctite from a little shop at a market

I would let some hot glue gao rawn into it.

It finds its way into cracks finer than a hair and bonds.

Certainly works with wood and plastics and they bond granite sections together with it.

30bt from local shops, 40bt from home pro

To follow up after consulting some people that worked with Reynolds Thailand it seems like a much more expensive proposition than I was thinking it would be.  

From what I've been told, the chemicals used can't be brought into Thailand easily ( hence why the company manufacturing weld-on 40 can't bring it in). So a huge expense is the chemicals ( 15K for these alone), plus I will have to cover their transportation from BKK to HKT and their accommodation plus labour.  However, they will give me a guarantee of 5 years.

This is not something that can easily be done DIY and having this done correctly.  There's only once chance to do this the right way and from what I've read, working with the various chemicals and applying correctly can be difficult without experience.

Cyanoacrylate glue and Sodium bicarbonate. Commonly called super glue and baking soda/ baking powder.

Lay on a tiny drop of super glue dust it with baking powder brush the excess baking powder off, repeat until you have built up enough. File or sand the excess off. It will be opaque but very strong.  Time between fill layers: seconds.

you can use clear tape to restrict the glue and sanding needed if it's on a  vertical surface.

do not apply the baking powder first as the Cyanoacrylate will harden instantly leaving powder underneath with just a very thin crust on top.

Cost under 50 Baht. Time probably under 30 minutes.

Archived