KETO diet

jil

Today, exactly 2 months since I started my Keto (alike) diet, my blood sugar fasting level has come down from a staggering 275.2 to 92 without taking medicines or insulin. Hba1c at that time was 10.2.

I already knew that I had diabetes type 2 for about 10 years, but never had a higher reading than about 150 more than a year earlier. I'm traveling around so I had a good excuse not to take it too strict with food. [emoji3]

Since about 2 weeks I'm in the 100 - 90 range. I combine this keto alike diet, low-carb (no bread, no rice, no pasta, no sweet fruits but I eat a lot of avocados), high-fat and adequate protein diet with intermittent fasting. My intermittent fasting time frame is not to eat from 6pm till 10am, not really that hard to deal with. I don't eat in between meals.

Generally spoken I feel much better. Also the salads which I prepare myself, are quite tasty.

I found the videos of Dr. Berg on YouTube very useful, he comes across as a genuine, knowledgeable man.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It's tough to do in Thailand (I love rice and noodles) but it is a game changer if you can stick to it.

I've been making my own cauliflower rice for about two years, and if you do it correctly, it is a great sub for regular rice. Use a box grater (or Cuisinart) on a few heads of cauliflower, sautee in a pan (or on a tray in the oven for 15 mins), plastic wrap in individual portions and freeze. Nuke as needed.

You can order any Thai takeaway without rice, just ask for no sugar. Eat with the cauliflower rice and it is pretty excellent.

Konjac noodles are also a great keto sub if you still want noodles. They actually sell them at Family Mart now.

4 hours ago, jil said:

my blood sugar fasting level has come down from a staggering 275.2

OMG...I didn't know blood sugar could get so high, I was worrying when I hit 105. After a few weeks on Keto it dropped to 85. No doubt that Keto is great for reducing blood sugar levels and weight loss without the hunger, but I got bored of it after several months and have gradually introduced complex carbs considering I'd already hit my target weight. I wouldn't hesitate to go Keto again if I wanted to lose weight.

Keto is a great method for those with insulin sensitivity issues, however it is far from a panacea (esp with weight loss) As a side note, if you cook chill & re-cook potatoes the insulin spike post consumption will be markedly lower. Approx a 50% reduction in the potato "sugars" is noted when you cook & cool the humble spud. Therefore you can boil & cool then confit (duck/pork fat)  and cool once more then either fry or bake with a touch of ghee to get perfect chips (choose imported potatoes) that would be keto(ish) acceptable

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

My cardiologists warned me never to do a Keto diet. 

My cardiologist didn't ask about nutrition. He put me on statins and beta blockers.

I threw away the statins and went keto.

A year later I was able to throw away the beta blockers. My hear symptoms have disappeared.

Get a new cardiologist?

1 hour ago, FracturedRabbit said:

My cardiologist didn't ask about nutrition. He put me on statins and beta blockers.

I threw away the statins and went keto.

A year later I was able to throw away the beta blockers. My hear symptoms have disappeared.

Get a new cardiologist?

OK, Yeah sure, I'll reject a Duke Univ Cardiologists advice in favour of fad cult diets on the internet.

10 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

OK, Yeah sure, I'll reject a Duke Univ Cardiologists advice in favour of fad cult diets on the internet.

I'm in Sydney ATM till Monday and just saw my Cardiologist, annual check up, and after losing 15kg since the new year, all good, he was impressed with the weight lose, 90.5kg down to 75.5kg, I did my own kind of thing, not Keto, eating clean, although some intermittent dieting if you can call it that from 6pm to 10am, same as the original poster stated, no eating in between, so 2-3 meals a day, Oats or eggs in the morning, a variety (selection) for carb foods for lunch, but no carbs after lunch, dinner might be 2 boiled eggs, or a steak or salmon with salads, veggies, etc etc, and usually reducing my intake from 2,500 total to 2,000 or 1,500 calories a day, works wonders, especially if you are on the treadmill, or do light weights, as for the other fancy stuff like aerobics, as I have lower back issues, like a week core which I am building on of late, e.g. planks, squats.

Cardio on the treadmill 3 days a week, break in between each day, and leight weights 6 days a week, love my cheat day though, usually a burger, home cooked if you can call that a cheat day, still drink 3 light beers every 2nd day or so, but will probably scrap that when I return.

For anyone who can get off their behind and into a routine, they will surely benefit health wise and feel good about it.

29 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

For anyone who can get off their behind and into a routine, they will surely benefit health wise and feel good about it.

When here in Thailand, I walk, alot. Sometimes 6-10 miles a day. I mean, even if you are a priapic old man seeking immortality in the arms of a paid gf, you can walk to the various venues and put a few clicks on every night. Cant tell you how many times I walked from Asoke to Mixx just window shopping.

Im down 7 kilos since the chest clutch, and thats after 5 months in the states of sitting in a car instead of using what God stuck on the bottom of my legs.

That being said, the protocol for succesfull weight loss and health is simple. Almost everything in moderation except veggies and excersise. These two things should be maximized. Those things that to be minimized are processed foods, refined sugars, red meat and fats. So walk around, pound down the veggies, avoid Taco Bell, hot dogs and Pizza except as rare treats and dont smoke cigs.

Weed is a vegetable of course. Does anyone know an easy way to cook those round gourds I have been seeing around town? They look tasty.

15 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

When here in Thailand, I walk, alot. Sometimes 6-10 miles a day. I mean, even if you are a priapic old man seeking immortality in the arms of a paid gf, you can walk to the various venues and put a few clicks on every night. Cant tell you how many times I walked from Asoke to Mixx just window shopping.

Im down 7 kilos since the chest clutch, and thats after 5 months in the states of sitting in a car nstrad of using what God stuck on the bottom of my legs.

That being said, the protocol for succesfull weight loss and health is simple. Almost everything in moderation except veggies and excersise. These two things should be maximized. Those things that to be minimized are processed foods, refined sugars, red meat and fats. So walk around, pound down the veggies, avoid Taco Bell, hot dogs and Pizza except as rare treats and dont smoke cigs.

Weed is a vegetable of course. Does anyone know an easy way to cook those round gourds I have been seeing around town? They look tasty.

Agree except that instead of "fats" I would say "transfats" and "saturated fats"' ; eat healthy fats in moderation. Humans need essential fatty acids and fats high in Omega 3's especially have a protective effect on the cardiovascular system. Also, fats are filling and delay digestion time.  Their is a  tendency  to overeat or become hungry again too soon  if a meal contains no fat.

There is way too little scientific data on long term effects of a true keto diet while there is an abundance of evidence, going make many decades, that a more modified version (i.e. avoid  processed carbs; consume lean meats/fish; get lots of fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains; get plenty of fiber) is linked to better health outcomes. (Diabetics would need to be careful on the fruit part)

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Agree except that instead of "fats" I would say "transfats" and "saturated fats"' ; eat healthy fats in moderation. Humans need essential fatty acids and fats high in Omega 3's especially have a protective effect on the cardiovascular system. Also, fats are filling and delay digestion time.  Their is a  tendency  to overeat or become hungry again too soon  if a meal contains no fat.

There is way too little scientific data on long term effects of a true keto diet while there is an abundance of evidence, going make many decades, that a more modified version (i.e. avoid  processed carbs; consume lean meats/fish; get lots of fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains; get plenty of fiber) is linked to better health outcomes. (Diabetics would need to be careful on the fruit part)

Absolutely, and thank you for correcting me.

One thing my Doc here mentioned about Keto was that it is totally contraindicated for folks who may have impaired kidney function. I dump a point or two of protein above normal and will need to be evaluated for that in a few months if it continues. So for me its mimimize animal protein, minimize minimize red meat.... so the steamed fish are lovely, oh and dude, avoid the deep fryer.

As one of my buds (a Neurosurgeon) told me about the bakery problem here: You can look as much as you like, stare at them, salivate and dream, but you only get them once a week. 

15 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

My cardiologists warned me never to do a Keto diet. 

Is he or she fat?

The hypocrisy I have seen from many Doctors giving orders and direction on diets and they are out of shape fatso's.

I do think keto works and can be a very healthy diet.

The problem is people abuse it eating fats and 10 pieces of bacon justifying it as no carb.

Lean meats, avocado type fats, certain veggies, a little olive oil, lots of water, etc. 

will fill you up, keep you healthy and you will lose weight fairly quickly.

38 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I do think keto works and can be a very healthy diet.

The problem is people abuse it eating fats and 10 pieces of bacon justifying it as no carb.

Lean meats, avocado type fats, certain veggies, a little olive oil, lots of water, etc. 

will fill you up, keep you healthy and you will lose weight fairly quickly.

Agreed, there’s healthy and unhealthy keto diets

Welcome to the club. I alternate between paleo, keto and carnivore. I also alternate between intermittent fasting and one meal a day.

My body adapt itself pretty quickly and I can gain weight easily. It's better to alternate my feeding windows and diet in my case. 

I feel so much better. Lost almost all my extra fat and gained a lot of muscle. My blood sugar usually stay under 90 unless I eat some medjool date. 

If you are looking for quality meat and fish check this: https://paleorobbie.com/

I especially like ground lamb and beef. The 5 kilo ribeye for 5K baht (I cut it in ~20 steaks),  beef liver and tongue, the sashimi tuna block and sometimes Alaskan salmon but that is one is expensive. 

I buy from them almost monthly but just got a huge freezer and will buy a whole Thai cow and 1 pig for the mother inlaw. 

17 hours ago, eezergood said:

Keto is a great method for those with insulin sensitivity issues, however it is far from a panacea (esp with weight loss) As a side note, if you cook chill & re-cook potatoes the insulin spike post consumption will be markedly lower. Approx a 50% reduction in the potato "sugars" is noted when you cook & cool the humble spud. Therefore you can boil & cool then confit (duck/pork fat)  and cool once more then either fry or bake with a touch of ghee to get perfect chips (choose imported potatoes) that would be keto(ish) acceptable

I used a keto vegetarian diet plan to drop 25 kilos over a two year period. The key was intermittent fasting whenever I reached a plateau, and I continue as at today with a 19-5 window where I eat 'what I like' and still remain at 70 kilos.

I am currently following a WFPB nutrition regime, with supplements including B12, on a trial period. Fortunately my body loves veggies and fruit, nuts and seeds, so absolutely no difficulty in avoiding dairy, and eggs. As a lifestyle change and in the long term I could happily live with it.

As for the Pharma industry, it's a truism that nutritional expertise is not at the forefront of medical research as prevention of diseases is not a profit line - apart from supplements. And the medical profession only - in most cases - treat the symptoms with their three-way approach: surgery, radiology, and chemotherapy. 

So yes, at my current understanding of nutrition I'd believe my own body's requirements primarily before any medical practitioner telling me I need statins and drugs - which I don't.  

18 hours ago, myprivate said:

OMG...I didn't know blood sugar could get so high, I was worrying when I hit 105. After a few weeks on Keto it dropped to 85. No doubt that Keto is great for reducing blood sugar levels and weight loss without the hunger, but I got bored of it after several months and have gradually introduced complex carbs considering I'd already hit my target weight. I wouldn't hesitate to go Keto again if I wanted to lose weight.

105 is not high but quite normal. 

been doing keto for about 3 months and gone from 110 kg to 97 kg, blood sugars have dropped from 10 plus down to 6 and a bit below(which is normal, multiply by 16roughly for the different measurement). I havent taken diabetic meds for 2 months, while I miss certain foods I still have nice meals and do the occasional cheat meal as does my wife, she has also lost weight and id doing well. Cant do a lot of physical stuff due to a spinal injury but try to do a few hours walking at least 3 times a week. Will go to the doctors this week to have a check up to make sure everything is ok but the keto diet has been great for both of us

16 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Your Duke Univ Cardiologists is full of sh it. Do some research yourself instead of just listening to a doctor. Yeah, get a new cardiologist.

52 minutes ago, lensta said:

Your Duke Univ Cardiologists is full of sh it. Do some research yourself instead of just listening to a doctor. Yeah, get a new cardiologist.

Of course. Right away. Clearly he must be if you say so. Ill always trust anonymous dudes on the internet with an agenda, possibly ego driven, over a trained professional and Professor of Cardiology at one of the most prestigious Medical Schools in the world.

Archived