KETO diet

jil

2 minutes ago, eezergood said:

I would suggest a few things here - Try it & test your sensitivity. The first guy needs a new hairpiece. Will post more later, happy to have some informed debate ????

I don't have diabete so I don't worry when I happen to eat sweet potato or dates. 

The first guy on the video is interesting because he do a lot of blood sugar test.

Keto can be a good way to go if you don't go overboard with it.

In the early stages, you certainly don't want to be drinking 

bulletproof coffee with butter, ghee...eating fat bombs like candy... and all that stuff.

Dial down daily nett carbs to 20gm, stick to your daily macros, and let your body fed on its own fat

reserves instead of gorging on external fat. Once your weight stabilises where you want it, introduce healthy fat.

Im a huge fan of olive oil, macadamia, almond butter/milk, avocados.

I rarely eat fatty steaks....mostly lean, grass-fed meat. For sweetening 

I prefer my own mix of erythritol and monk fruit powder.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Of course. Right away. Clearly he must be if you say so. Ill always trust anonymous dudes on the internet with an agenda, possibly ego driven, over a trained professional and Professor of Cardiology at one of the most prestigious Medical Schools in the world.

These aren't "anonymous dudes etc...". Instead of going into denial do some research. Try Ivor Cummings, Timothy Noakes, Dr. Eric Berg for starters and consider the fact that if things could be so easily (relatively speaking) solved without drugs and stents, a lot of people would lose a lot of money. A lot of science behind Keto, little behind the low fat high carb easily disproved theory, even if it has been around for 50 years.

10 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I never had a fat doctor in my life. Never, not in 64 years. I dont think I ever even met a fat doctor.

Do a cruise of the hallways of your local hospital and you will see lots of fatties.  It is not just the doctors. The nurses and assistants will be waddling along too.   My father's cardiologist was 150 lbs (us) overweight.  He did nothing but recommend drugs and surgery.  He said he couldn't make any sense of the diet plans and claims he heard about that caused weight loss and improvement in heart function.   

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Of course. Right away. Clearly he must be if you say so. Ill always trust anonymous dudes on the internet with an agenda, possibly ego driven, over a trained professional and Professor of Cardiology at one of the most prestigious Medical Schools in the world.

Duke was the home of the Rice Diet plan.  A residential weight loss for people that were dying of hypertension or type 2 diabetes before the drugs to combat these diseases were invented.  Despite its name, this diet is not just about rice. It's been around since 1939, and got a new wave of popularity when the Rice Diet Solution was published. 

Some diet plans have a history and lots of science and research behind them.  Kempner the doctor which invented the Rice diet at Duke did lots of measurement and follow-up.  Most of these residential clinics that put patients on diet plans and monitoring closed up once cheap drugs became available.  The residential settings and monitoring were too expensive for all but the very rich.

The Pritikin diet plan still has a residential setting, and I believe one week is $7500 USD.  His diet is proven to reverse heart disease.  Of course even a small heart attack in the US will cost about $50,000 USD.  Medical insurance companies still find dispensing the drugs or surgery cheaper on the whole.

Most of these diets are hard to follow but both are well proven by research.

I don't think doctors are good at nutrition or diet advice or are up on the research as the vast majority of medical schools SPEND zero hours on the subject in their coursework.

2 hours ago, cooked said:

if things could be so easily (relatively speaking) solved without drugs and stents, a lot of people would lose a lot of money.

ah yes, Big Pharma and the evil AMA conspiring to make their bags of money off the backs of the unhealthy public groaning under their vampire jackboots. . How did I foget. Im going to take my Laetrile right now.

52 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

Do a cruise of the hallways of your local hospital and you will see lots of fatties.  It is not just the doctors. The nurses and assistants will be waddling along too.   My father's cardiologist was 150 lbs (us) overweight.  He did nothing but recommend drugs and surgery.  He said he couldn't make any sense of the diet plans and claims he heard about that caused weight loss and improvement in heart function.   

Right. With all do respect, try to add something intelligent to the discussion. I have never seen a fat doctor. You have. I have no agenda. You do. 

28 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

I don't think doctors are good at nutrition or diet advice or are up on the research as the vast majority of medical schools SPEND zero hours on the subject in their coursework.

How do you know? Been to a medical school recently? You do know that cardiologists refer to nutition departments right?

What upsets me about Keto, as so many other things in this world via the internet, is that folks get their own egos involved. Its like your diet religion dude, it may work for you but not for me, so why start yammering about it. Calling me an apostate, accusing my doctor of being a whore in the pay of Big Pharma, etc etc. I prefer a balanced diet, the three pyramids, and minimal cola. Then I lose weight slowly, hopefully keep it off, my bloods are good, my heart is ticking, so why do you guys freak out because I prefer that method? Is it because I have failed to acknowledge the Greatness of the Keto? Because I chose not to conform to the Great keto Lifestyle? Becasue I trust my Doc more than some dude selling diets on the Internet? You guys need to chill, you remind me all of SJWs just shouting down the blasphemers. 

I got to go, my delivery of Goop from Gwynneth is held up in customs.

On 10/9/2019 at 6:38 PM, Nyezhov said:

My cardiologists warned me never to do a Keto diet. 

He's probably right.....you shouldn't as your cardiovascular health 

seems compromised. 

Keto is not for people who have issues with heart, liver, kidneys and other vital organs.

If your Dr hasn't cleared it stay away.

At the same time, attacking Keto practitioners will not improve your health either.

Look into oat bran....it's quite heart healthy. And it tastes good.

lol Keto Diet, Atkins Diet, Billy no mates Diet. There is in fact a very magic formula.....

Stuff less calories in your mouth daily than the amount of calories you burn each day

No Ifs no buts, thats it.......

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

At the same time, attacking Keto practitioners will not improve your health either.

thats fine, as long as they stop contending their diet is the end all and be all to all things good, including world peace, and that anyone who doesnt buy into their lifestyle is a troglodyte.

As bad as Vegans, Paleos and Evangelicals.

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

lol Keto Diet, Atkins Diet, Billy no mates Diet. There is in fact a very magic formula.....

Stuff less calories in your mouth daily than the amount of calories you burn each day

Fat keep you satiated longer. It makes it easier to eat less calorie even if it's counter intuitive after 3 decades of being told you need to eat low fat. To keep low fat food palatable manufacturers add sugar. Everyone has been told to eat less fat and at the same time everyone is getting fatter. Go figure. I know in my case it changed my life understanding that I needed to eat more fat. I started losing weight and no more infinite craving between meals. I only eat nutrient dense food and I eat less often. 

On 10/10/2019 at 9:13 AM, Nyezhov said:

I never had a fat doctor in my life. Never, not in 64 years. I dont think I ever even met a fat doctor.

Well, lucky you.

Studies do show that 40% of physicians are overweight 25 % obese and 60 % of medical staff overweight or obese.  Pretty much fits the description of the general population

But for me the these overweight medical professionals giving out proper diet direction, is hypocrisy and a farce.

10 hours ago, Chivas said:

That doesn't work. Why? Because the human body is designed to save you from starvation. How it does it is to slow down your metabolic rate, so after your calorie restricted diet has finished and you revert back to eating 'normally' the weight goes back on. 

The 'only' solution is to combine any healthy diet with Intermittent fasting, e.g a daily 18 - 6 window of eating and fasting. In which case it is scientifically proven that your metabolic rate increases rather than decreases. A high fat keto diet is ideal. If you want to know why, look it up. Here's a starter:

The reason why many think intermittent fasting improves metabolism is due to less loss of lean body mass and greater fat burning. ... At the same time, short fasting periods cause the body to tap into fat stores and burn a greater percentage of fat mass for energy. 

The key to good health is down to a nutritious lifestyle and exercise. Junk sugar and all packaged processed food, for starters. If it's got an ingredient label on it, it's unhealthy.

9 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Fat keep you satiated longer. It makes it easier to eat less calorie even if it's counter intuitive after 3 decades of being told you need to eat low fat. To keep low fat food palatable manufacturers add sugar. Everyone has been told to eat less fat and at the same time everyone is getting fatter. Go figure. I know in my case it changed my life understanding that I needed to eat more fat. I started losing weight and no more infinite craving between meals. I only eat nutrient dense food and I eat less often. 

I dont need to "go figure" anything. Theres no magic science,

Stuff in your face 3000 calories a day but burn 3500 and over the course of 16 days you'll lose 1kg

Even the landing page of google will tell you the same

"If you eat fewer calories and burn more calories through physical activity, you lose weight. Because 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat, it's estimated that you need to burn about 3,500 calories to lose 1 pound."

Chaps it really is that simple. You're being mugged off by all these ludicrous diets which any doctor with no agenda will tell you

I was was one of the worst pigs 30 years eating boozing incessantly and around 18/19 stone in old money but tall with it

Started down the gym and initially not a lot happened added in more weights and suddenly the weight was falling off literally day by day. To this day 30 years later I exercise daily and at home have several dumbells. Using those heavy weights just twice a day at home is so easy along with exercise bike in living room

Weight is completely stable around 15 stone and waist 4" slimmer than 30 years ago.

The simple result of burning more calories daily than stuffing in my face.

25 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Stuff in your face 3000 calories a day but burn 3500 and over the course of 16 days you'll lose 1kg

"If you eat fewer calories and burn more calories through physical activity, you lose weight. Because 3,500 calories equals about 1 pound (0.45 kilogram) of fat, it's estimated that you need to burn about 3,500 calories to lose 1 pound."

Chaps it really is that simple. You're being mugged off by all these ludicrous diets which any doctor with no agenda will tell you

This is all true, but it is also true that:

1 - The body does respond to reduced caloric intake by slowing metabolism causing you to burn less, and there are some strategies that do help avert this. Specifically, intermittent calorie restriction  and exercise. When you exercise, your body has no choice, it has to supply the fuel needed at the moment. When you restrict calories or fast for only short periods interspersed with normal intake you may be able to avert the body going into conservation mode.

2- It is easier to restrict caloric intake with some diets than with others (and which may vary by individual). In particular diets very low in fat can be hard to maintain at good calorie level because you will not be as satiated. of course, fat is also calorie dense so high fat diets will be impossible to control calories on, the trick is to find a happy medium where you are getting enough (healthy) fats to slow digestion/prolong satiation while still staying within desired calorie intake range.

25 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Try eating 3000 calories of ribeye with butter vs the same amount of calories of rice/pasta and tell me which diet make you feel most satiated/sustainable.

I'm not saying you are wrong even tho some new research tend to say that the type of calorie make a difference because of the way they affect insuline level. Insuline is believed by some researchers to increase fat storage. Fat has negligible effect on insuline level. 

On 10/11/2019 at 9:24 AM, bkk6060 said:

Well, lucky you.

Studies do show that 40% of physicians are overweight 25 % obese and 60 % of medical staff overweight or obese.  Pretty much fits the description of the general population

But for me the these overweight medical professionals giving out proper diet direction, is hypocrisy and a farce.

Not to mention that most MD's receive little to minimal nutritional training - hence the need for nutritionists.......

On 10/11/2019 at 9:24 AM, stephenterry said:

That doesn't work. Why? Because the human body is designed to save you from starvation. How it does it is to slow down your metabolic rate, so after your calorie restricted diet has finished and you revert back to eating 'normally' the weight goes back on. 

The 'only' solution is to combine any healthy diet with Intermittent fasting, e.g a daily 18 - 6 window of eating and fasting. In which case it is scientifically proven that your metabolic rate increases rather than decreases. A high fat keto diet is ideal. If you want to know why, look it up. Here's a starter:

The reason why many think intermittent fasting improves metabolism is due to less loss of lean body mass and greater fat burning. ... At the same time, short fasting periods cause the body to tap into fat stores and burn a greater percentage of fat mass for energy. 

The key to good health is down to a nutritious lifestyle and exercise. Junk sugar and all packaged processed food, for starters. If it's got an ingredient label on it, it's unhealthy.

Creating a calorie deficit DOES & WILL work for 99.999999% of ALL  people, there are a few very rare exceptions. Starvation mode is a myth, the reason weight reduction halts is that most people do not adjust (decrease) their calorie intake as they loose body weight - not to mention we are (again almost all, me included) sh!t at counting our calories. 

I do think that intermittent fast can be ONE OF a myriad of useful tools to help SOME people -  

18 minutes ago, eezergood said:

Creating a calorie deficit DOES & WILL work for 99.999999% of ALL  people, there are a few very rare exceptions. Starvation mode is a myth, the reason weight reduction halts is that most people do not adjust (decrease) their calorie intake as they loose body weight - not to mention we are (again almost all, me included) sh!t at counting our calories. 

I do think that intermittent fast can be ONE OF a myriad of useful tools to help SOME people -  

All diets work and all fail because metabolism is slowed down. Which means unless you keep on reducing calorie intake, you'll put the weight back on again. That's a scientific fact, not a myth. You might not believe it but that's up to you. 

The rationale behind it is that for early hunter-gatherer humans to survive conditions that meant they were with reduced food sources at times, the body slowed down their metabolic rate so that they remained strong enough to hunt for food. In modern times, with abundant food supplies for affluent societies, yo-yo diets are commonplace. That's why intermittent fasting is valuable for many people because it doesn't slow down metabolism.

Archived