Pattaya: Action called for stinking dump with potential to damage tourism

webfact

Pattaya: Action called for stinking dump with potential to damage tourism

9pm1.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

Sophon  Cable TV reported complaints from residents in South Pattaya about an area of private land on the way to Thepprasit Soi 7.

Filthy for ages the area was a fly infested tip filled with all manner of trash spilling over into the road. 

Sophon said it was disgraceful and could damage tourism as well as public health. 

9pm2.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

However, there appears to have been a response to the calls for action. 

Poster "Louise Berner" put a picture on the Sophon site showing that some effort had been made to clear up and thanked another person and City Hall. 

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-09

There was a soi like that a few hundred meters from where I'm living. I'd walk/jog past there in the early morning and see people (on scooters and in cars) drive by, stop, throw a bag of trash onto the pile and then drive away.

Why ? Because it's "free". No monthly fee to have your garbage collected. Save that 100 baht (or whatever) for more important things, like makeup or beer. "Mai phen rai"

There are dozens of sois around the area just like it. And then some developer comes in, scoops up the garbage (and probably dumps it in some other similar location) and builds over top the site.
I mean **** - we pay 175 baht a month in our "village", which pays for the street lights, the security guys at the front and the twice weekly garbage pick-up. It's not that expensive.

Used to shake my head when I rode past one such "dump site" where people (and contractors) would dump normal garbage as well as construction waste.

Right beside a "fishing pond" restaurant ! I can only imagine what the results would be if they ever tested the water those fish are living in (before being caught and ingested).

Tourism was damaged years ago. The locals must getting worried about their businesses these days and think they can save Pattaya by pointing out the obvious.
BIg piles of garbage everywhere is normal in Thailand and there are no quick solutions.  

While sitting in a bar in one of the Pattayaland sois last night I was almost knocked off my bar stool by the foul stench steaming out of a nearby "storm drainage" manhole inlet ????

At some time in the future the people who install these systems will have to realize the benefits of a progressive fall in the drainage lines, such that standing waste will not occur.

Alas their are many such pop up dumps around Pattaya. In the UK its called fly tipping. Here around Pratumnak cozy beach there is a foul dump at one end of the beach. When the army visited the beach  to stamp out small businesses. They ignored the dump on two occasions. On cozy beach rd there is another tip opposite the Dolphin hotel though this informal dump does get cleared intermittently.  The whole of cozy beach rd is dirty and littered.  Last year a german hippy and some locals tried to clear it up. On Pratumnak soi 4 there is a similar dump that stinks about 200 yards down. On the main drag, Thapraya there is another dump kinda opposite the old Brunos. Some of the waste is normal domestic waste and some semi industrial.  Its a civic problem and as ever a financial problem. One advantage the Thais have with this problem is that they dont have to deal with professional dumpers such as the Roma and Travellers who cause terrible problems with illegal dumping and fly tipping in the UK.

Probably all this is part of the promotion campaign for the 1st class family resort Pattaya!
In the whole of Thailand the same situation, the tourism minister could promote a garbage campaign, he could see himself daily in the media nationwide!
This in any case is one of the many reasons for the decrease in tourists!

Archived