Now UK coming out of EU with no deal. what is going to happen to sterling??

john west

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I would say "Stand by for a severe rogering up the rear end financially" we have been let down big style by our so called politicians, they have totally ignored the wishes of the majority - and that ladies and gents comes from someone who voted to remain, the reason I voted that way is because I knew the damage that leaving could / would cause.

The UK will be ultimately better off without the EU. It's like living in a dictatorship with Germany at the head. Why did we fight two wars and see all those people dead and maimed for? Better to have let Hitler win in that case. If we dont get out the Brexit party will be in and Nigel Farage will be PM. No bad thing that. Get rid of the musty sleepy House of Favoured Peers and get a Senate. Dont like this newish Court of getting things wrong though. Its like getting stopped by a cop for chewing gum and he wants to fine you or jail you. You tell him it is not against the law and he says " soon rectify that one, hello is that the supreme court"!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nickmondo said:

I dont know where the OP gets his info.

The UK will not leave without a deal.

There will be an extension.

The lunatic known as Boris will lose his job when Parliament submit the vote of no confidence.

There will be an election, with a hung parliament, no majority.

There will be a second referendum, and Brexit will be cancelled.  I hope.

If not cancelled, there will be more extensions until a deal is agreed.

I do think that you should clearly state that that is just your opinion and not actual facts , and it may or may not happen as your suggested . 

You should begin your post with *I think that............* 

12 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

The UK will be ultimately better off without the EU. It's like living in a dictatorship with Germany at the head. Why did we fight two wars and see all those people dead and maimed for? Better to have let Hitler win in that case. If we dont get out the Brexit party will be in and Nigel Farage will be PM. No bad thing that. Get rid of the musty sleepy House of Favoured Peers and get a Senate. Dont like this newish Court of getting things wrong though. Its like getting stopped by a cop for chewing gum and he wants to fine you or jail you. You tell him it is not against the law and he says " soon rectify that one, hello is that the supreme court"!

Gammon gold, what a dullard.

My guess is Britain will prosper on their own while the EU will continue to deteriorate with their policies of welcoming illiterates from North Africa and other stupid rules and regulations. Of course that being said the upper level of EU politicians will continue to fill their own pockets.

3 hours ago, petermik said:

I asked this same question to a fortune teller in soi Bukhaow (Pattaya) market the other day and she said (pigeon english of course) initially it will sink to 35 baht but late december will bounce to 40 and continue rising during the course of next year to a high of 54.......with this news I happily gave her a 20 baht tip :clap2:

did you visited the same one that TAT did... but with different findings 555

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

No one can really predict. But likely the market has already priced much of this in. As such, initially there will be a drop but not massive and then a bounce back. How long that will take to bounce back, no one knows. But probably reasonably quickly.

The pound has been between 1.20 and 1.25 USD. Expect that range to narrow but doubt it will go below 1.20; it it does, not for too much time. 

No one knows but I guesstimate is no deal will mean 1.20-1.22 when things settle. After that who knows!

I am seeing it at parity with Euro and (not wanting to be bad mouthing anybody) 1.10 to USD

1 hour ago, allanos said:

Boris Johnson was a Remainer, or, at best, a fence-sitter.

BJ is a washy washy man..... switch sides as the wind blows, as long there is a political opportunity he will swing/switch over, in my humble opinion he doesn't think for himself but only following Cummings thoughts, pity

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think it will happen.

There'll be another extension/delay.

I agree with you.

This is an article in today’s Guardian.

“What’s at stake is not winning some stupid blame game,” Tusk wrote in a tweet directed at the prime minister. “At stake is the future of Europe and the UK as well as the security and interests of our people. You don’t want a deal, you don’t want an extension, you don’t want to revoke. Quo vadis? [Where are you going?]”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/08/eu-may-offer-to-extend-deadline-for-brexit-deal-to-summer

“He’s lied his way through life, he’s lied his way through politics, he’s a huckster with a degree of charm to which I am immune. As well as being mendacious he’s incompetent.” 

Conservative former minister Chris Patten in May interview with Bloomberg

‘I think he honestly believes it is churlish of us not to regard him as an exception, one who should be free of the network of obligation which binds everyone else.” 

Johnson’s Eton housemaster, Martin Hammond, in 1982 school report

The European politicians are not stupid. They have the full measure of Johnson. Brexit, apparently, is headline news everyday in Germany. It’s in everyone’s interest to get a deal. That’s why it’s likely there will be an extension until next June at the very least.

You can be sure they read British newspapers every day so they would have read Andrew Rawnsley’s article on Johnson in the Observer: 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/06/boris-johnson-is-still-gambling-on-winning-brexit-blame-game

Although what will happen to Sterling, while Johnson and Dominic Cummings play their stupid games is anyone’s guess!

I don't think it will happen.

There'll be another extension/delay.

Seems so. A law was passed, the Benn Law, that forbids a no-deal exit. A further extension is almost certain, with talk of it being nine months (demanded by the EU) in order that an election or second referendum can be organised. 

8 minutes ago, silver sea said:

“He’s lied his way through life, he’s lied his way through politics, he’s a huckster with a degree of charm to which I am immune. As well as being mendacious he’s incompetent.” 

Conservative former minister Chris Patten in May interview with Bloomberg

I have been saying it since the Tories placed him there, he's an arrogant no-brainer unfortunately nobody will listen to the truth

33 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

stupid rules and regulations.

Can you list any for us? Or are you like the Brits who didn't want to be governed by unelected bureaucrats (while at the same not voting for their MEP), and who when asked could not actually name any laws imposed upon the UK by the EU?

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Can you list any for us? Or are you like the Brits who didn't want to be governed by unelected bureaucrats (while at the same not voting for their MEP), and who when asked could not actually name any laws imposed upon the UK by the EU?

Extra online banking security, middle of last month, which made it harder for all us expats to access our UK accounts.

Need UK SIM, Debit card and debit card security reader to get anywhere.

Annoying as heck.

I have had a feeling for quite some time and I could be hopelessly wrong here but i reckon the powers that be aren't going to let us leave.They never thought the electorate would be stupid enough to vote leave and now it must be stopped at all costs.

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Extra online banking security, middle of last month, which made it harder for all us expats to access our UK accounts.

Annoying as heck.

I think you'll find that's to safeguard YOUR money in an increasingly digital age in which fraudsters are getting more and more sophisticated. Nothing at all to do with the EU. Another example of condemning the EU for things they haven't done, purely out of anti-EU sentiment based on ignorance. Higher security and restrictions are also universal due to measures taken to prevent another banking crisis that almost crashed the system a few years back.

I access my UK account on a phone app and can generate a security number to also do so on my laptop. I can transfer money to those I did before, and read my balance. I don't need a UK SIM or a security reader, whatever that is. I am allowed to use a Thai address with my account, which is not allowed today, probably as I've been 'grandfathered' after having the account for over 30 years. Your problem might lay in that, and again has nothing to do with the EU but with universal tightening of accounts. 

My situation was still a bit of a pain to set up, and due to poorly given information I was given a 15 pound credit by the bank. Took me nearly 90 minutes on the phone to them, using Skype, but now all is smooth. Perhaps you need to consult your own bank as to why you need the things that you list above. I need none of them with HSBC.

8 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

On the upside, the UK printing presses might have more business with a no-deal credit..... who remembers ration cards...anyone..?

The Russians will invade the UK the day after we leave the EU , hopefully they will feed us, otherwise we will all starve to death or freeze to death

1 hour ago, Parsve said:

I believe the next large wave of refugees to EU will come from UK.

I'll be one of them, if Brexit doesn't remove my right to live in France.

Was just about to buy a place in central France, but stopped until after the October deadline.

No point in buying, if I can't live in it for more than the post Brexit 90 days/year currently floated by France.

Annoying as heck.

Yes Europe decided Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) rules for more security on online payments,

but No, SCA does not impose a SIM from your country, a card or a security reader.

These must be choices made by your UK bank.

For SCA with my French bank, all I need is my mobile phone ????

Archived