Now UK coming out of EU with no deal. what is going to happen to sterling??

john west

7 hours ago, allanos said:

Boris Johnson was a Remainer, or, at best, a fence-sitter.

Johnson was neither remainer nor leaver, he’s only ever been a Johnsoner with no concept of honesty or morality. He’s prepared to destroy the country’s economy and rip apart the Union just to hold power. He’s now a no dealer despite denying it and simply because he thinks that’ll retain him the PMship.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, AlexRich said:

There’s quite a bit of confidence from the Leavers on here that you’ll get a short period where GBP drops before bouncing back. After the referendum essentially nothing changed, the UK was still in the EU ... sentiment was enough to send GBP crashing, and there has been little recovery. After a no deal this sheet gets real, you are out of the EU, with major economic disruptions and a different trading situation. Different and worse. You’ll all soon understand what no deal actually entails. It won’t be pretty.

Project fear.......their words not mine! 

6 hours ago, Kurtf said:

My guess is Britain will prosper on their own while the EU will continue to deteriorate with their policies of welcoming illiterates from North Africa and other stupid rules and regulations. Of course that being said the upper level of EU politicians will continue to fill their own pockets.

Racism is a very ugly personally trait. The EU will collapse as you expect....but only in your dreams.

6 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

The UK will be ultimately better off without the EU. It's like living in a dictatorship with Germany at the head. Why did we fight two wars and see all those people dead and maimed for? Better to have let Hitler win in that case. If we dont get out the Brexit party will be in and Nigel Farage will be PM. No bad thing that. Get rid of the musty sleepy House of Favoured Peers and get a Senate. Dont like this newish Court of getting things wrong though. Its like getting stopped by a cop for chewing gum and he wants to fine you or jail you. You tell him it is not against the law and he says " soon rectify that one, hello is that the supreme court"!

There is zero chance of the Brexit party winning the election or Farage becoming PM.

Just now, joecoolfrog said:

There is zero chance of the Brexit party winning the election or Farage becoming PM.

There would be a probability of Brexit Party winning an election , there may be a small probability, but it wouldnt be "zero chance " .

So, there would be a small chance, rather than no chance  

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Project fear.......their words not mine! 

Project fear was when no major economic calamity occurred after the vote .... but despite that GBP fell heavily and stayed there, investment fell below expectations, and the UK has enjoyed lower growth since. And we haven’t left yet?

Anyone who thinks “no deal” would be a picnic isn’t paying attention. There is a huge difference between the day after the referendum and the day after no deal. Project reality.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

There would be a probability of Brexit Party winning an election , there may be a small probability, but it wouldnt be "zero chance " .

So, there would be a small chance, rather than no chance  

About the same chance as a one legged man winning an ass kicking competition.

4 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

At least Europe is more welcoming of foreigners than the UK these days

Yes, because of presently freedom of movement. Just wait till after 31st Oct IF BoJo opts for the abyss.

Brits will come under same rules as any other non-Eu place. You will join the queues, there are skills requirements, min. income requirement.

12 hours ago, Ketyo said:

My step father is English. He left school aged 12 without any qualifications and worked in manual labouring jobs all his life. He has no training in economics and doesn't understand it.  He voted to leave because he wanted to take back control and didn't like all them foreigners coming in.

He has said that there may be a few bumps in the road after a no-deal Brexit but after that the pound will fly. He has said that Britain will be able to make trade deals with countries like Australia and New Zealand just as in colonial times, and those golden days will come back.

I don't know whether to listen to this old dock worker or the UK institute of fiscal studies, which says that the pound would go to near parity with the dollar.

The golden days will not come back...

The British Navy no longer rules the world's oceans and I can not run as fast and as long as when I was 25. And my hair won't grow back either 

Times change and we need to adapt 

12 hours ago, Ketyo said:

My step father is English. He left school aged 12 without any qualifications and worked in manual labouring jobs all his life. He has no training in economics and doesn't understand it.  He voted to leave because he wanted to take back control and didn't like all them foreigners coming in.

He has said that there may be a few bumps in the road after a no-deal Brexit but after that the pound will fly. He has said that Britain will be able to make trade deals with countries like Australia and New Zealand just as in colonial times, and those golden days will come back.

I don't know whether to listen to this old dock worker or the UK institute of fiscal studies, which says that the pound would go to near parity with the dollar.

No disrespect to your step dad but what control did he think he'd lost? The government always had the ability to control its borders, to limit the rights of those moving freely but chose not to. And if he doesn’t like the current foreigners from the EU what’s he going to think when all those brown ones from the commonwealth get in more easily. 

I well remember that morning after the referendum looking at the pound had dropped to 40 Bht, a fall of 20 %. It's worth noting it would have to rise 25 % to regain it's value - unlikely !. We will likely see a delay and an election before markets have any confidence. The Thai baht is another chapter.

11 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

I well remember that morning after the referendum looking at the pound had dropped to 40 Bht, a fall of 20 %. It's worth noting it would have to rise 25 % to regain it's value - unlikely !. We will likely see a delay and an election before markets have any confidence. The Thai baht is another chapter.

You memory is going .

As is you ability to thread threads .

The Pound went from 51 Baht to 52 Baht , the Pound rose on the day after Brexit  

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Extra online banking security, middle of last month, which made it harder for all us expats to access our UK accounts.

Need UK SIM, Debit card and debit card security reader to get anywhere.

Annoying as heck.

Well, if that is based on EU legislation, the UK government voted in favour of, so what’s left of ‘imposed’ by the EU?

2 hours ago, smudger1951 said:

105892404_ScreenShot2019-10-10at07_59_50.png.36a41eca9485f4cc56c2665c4502fbca.png

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, Three years in indeed a huge difference between the two 

No surprise that the salient point went whizzing over your head Max?

That point being that the UK never left the EU the day after the vote, but everything changes the day after a “no deal” exit ... seems the penny hasn’t dropped yet?

5 hours ago, yodsak said:

Rose on the day before brexit.    Down 7.549% the day after brexit

1898866730_ScreenShot2019-10-10at07_59_50.png.0d367759f38885a763a5e610b8000a22.png

Max lives in his own alternative reality, where the facts change to fit his opinion.

From memory, GBP climbed higher when traders thought Remain would win, and it popped even more when Nigel Farage conceded defeat, even though he had exit polls that told him Leave had won. It then fell like a stone.

Gut feel is that the £ will get stronger once out of the EU. Perhaps a small dip due to the uncertainty but once UK starts negotiating trade deals with US and other countries plus take back their very lucrative fishing industry the £ will become the strong currency it once was. It won’t be propping up weak EU countries, in fact I see the Euro weakening. Great that UK never went to the Euro.

40 minutes ago, Uroller said:

Gut feel is that the £ will get stronger once out of the EU. Perhaps a small dip due to the uncertainty but once UK starts negotiating trade deals with US and other countries plus take back their very lucrative fishing industry the £ will become the strong currency it once was. It won’t be propping up weak EU countries, in fact I see the Euro weakening. Great that UK never went to the Euro.

Not according to Gove when revealing Yellowhammer to Parliament. Quietly slipped it in that the Government had made preperations for the "inevitable fall in the Pound".

2 hours ago, Uroller said:

When the Euro came into existence it was at 1.42 now it’s around 1.11 and yet you think it’s weaker ? My gut feeling.... you’re in cuckoo land

On 10/9/2019 at 2:49 PM, mstevens said:

The pound will come back at some point.....the thing is, will it be in 3 months time, 3 years....or longer. 35 baht to the pound by year's end is not out of the question.

Forever the optimist , much needed .

Archived