Jump to content
BANGKOK
john west

Now UK coming out of EU with no deal. what is going to happen to sterling??

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Ketyo said:

My step father is English. He left school aged 12 without any qualifications and worked in manual labouring jobs all his life. He has no training in economics and doesn't understand it.  He voted to leave because he wanted to take back control and didn't like all them foreigners coming in.

 

He has said that there may be a few bumps in the road after a no-deal Brexit but after that the pound will fly. He has said that Britain will be able to make trade deals with countries like Australia and New Zealand just as in colonial times, and those golden days will come back.

 

I don't know whether to listen to this old dock worker or the UK institute of fiscal studies, which says that the pound would go to near parity with the dollar.

 

 

The golden days will not come back...

The British Navy no longer rules the world's oceans and I can not run as fast and as long as when I was 25. And my hair won't grow back either 

 

Times change and we need to adapt 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Ketyo said:

My step father is English. He left school aged 12 without any qualifications and worked in manual labouring jobs all his life. He has no training in economics and doesn't understand it.  He voted to leave because he wanted to take back control and didn't like all them foreigners coming in.

 

He has said that there may be a few bumps in the road after a no-deal Brexit but after that the pound will fly. He has said that Britain will be able to make trade deals with countries like Australia and New Zealand just as in colonial times, and those golden days will come back.

 

I don't know whether to listen to this old dock worker or the UK institute of fiscal studies, which says that the pound would go to near parity with the dollar.

 

 

No disrespect to your step dad but what control did he think he'd lost? The government always had the ability to control its borders, to limit the rights of those moving freely but chose not to. And if he doesn’t like the current foreigners from the EU what’s he going to think when all those brown ones from the commonwealth get in more easily. 

Share this post


Link to post

I well remember that morning after the referendum looking at the pound had dropped to 40 Bht, a fall of 20 %. It's worth noting it would have to rise 25 % to regain it's value - unlikely !. We will likely see a delay and an election before markets have any confidence. The Thai baht is another chapter.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

I well remember that morning after the referendum looking at the pound had dropped to 40 Bht, a fall of 20 %. It's worth noting it would have to rise 25 % to regain it's value - unlikely !. We will likely see a delay and an election before markets have any confidence. The Thai baht is another chapter.

You memory is going .

As is you ability to thread threads .

The Pound went from 51 Baht to 52 Baht , the Pound rose on the day after Brexit  

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Extra online banking security, middle of last month, which made it harder for all us expats to access our UK accounts.

Need UK SIM, Debit card and debit card security reader to get anywhere.

Annoying as heck.

Well, if that is based on EU legislation, the UK government voted in favour of, so what’s left of ‘imposed’ by the EU?

Edited by damascase

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, smudger1951 said:

I well remember that morning after the referendum looking at the pound had dropped to 40 Bht, a fall of 20 %. It's worth noting it would have to rise 25 % to regain it's value - unlikely !. We will likely see a delay and an election before markets have any confidence. The Thai baht is another chapter.

 

105892404_ScreenShot2019-10-10at07_59_50.png.36a41eca9485f4cc56c2665c4502fbca.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, sanemax said:

You memory is going .

As is you ability to thread threads .

The Pound went from 51 Baht to 52 Baht , the Pound rose on the day after Brexit  

  Rose on the day before brexit.    Down 7.549% the day after brexit

1898866730_ScreenShot2019-10-10at07_59_50.png.0d367759f38885a763a5e610b8000a22.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, Three years in indeed a huge difference between the two 

No surprise that the salient point went whizzing over your head Max?

 

That point being that the UK never left the EU the day after the vote, but everything changes the day after a “no deal” exit ... seems the penny hasn’t dropped yet?

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, yodsak said:

  Rose on the day before brexit.    Down 7.549% the day after brexit

1898866730_ScreenShot2019-10-10at07_59_50.png.0d367759f38885a763a5e610b8000a22.png

Max lives in his own alternative reality, where the facts change to fit his opinion.

 

From memory, GBP climbed higher when traders thought Remain would win, and it popped even more when Nigel Farage conceded defeat, even though he had exit polls that told him Leave had won. It then fell like a stone.

Edited by AlexRich
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Gut feel is that the £ will get stronger once out of the EU. Perhaps a small dip due to the uncertainty but once UK starts negotiating trade deals with US and other countries plus take back their very lucrative fishing industry the £ will become the strong currency it once was. It won’t be propping up weak EU countries, in fact I see the Euro weakening. Great that UK never went to the Euro.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

You’re clearly in a parallel world where you’re allowed to make up your own facts

Brexit World. Emperor Cummings rules, ably assisted by his minion Biffo Johnson.

 

 

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Uroller said:

Gut feel is that the £ will get stronger once out of the EU. Perhaps a small dip due to the uncertainty but once UK starts negotiating trade deals with US and other countries plus take back their very lucrative fishing industry the £ will become the strong currency it once was. It won’t be propping up weak EU countries, in fact I see the Euro weakening. Great that UK never went to the Euro.

Not according to Gove when revealing Yellowhammer to Parliament. Quietly slipped it in that the Government had made preperations for the "inevitable fall in the Pound".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Uroller said:

Gut feel is that the £ will get stronger once out of the EU. Perhaps a small dip due to the uncertainty but once UK starts negotiating trade deals with US and other countries plus take back their very lucrative fishing industry the £ will become the strong currency it once was. It won’t be propping up weak EU countries, in fact I see the Euro weakening. Great that UK never went to the Euro.

When the Euro came into existence it was at 1.42 now it’s around 1.11 and yet you think it’s weaker ? My gut feeling.... you’re in cuckoo land

Edited by Fairynuff
Typo
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/9/2019 at 2:49 PM, mstevens said:

The pound will come back at some point.....the thing is, will it be in 3 months time, 3 years....or longer. 35 baht to the pound by year's end is not out of the question.

 

      Forever the optimist , much needed .

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...