Thailand competitiveness ranking drops 2 spots to 40th place

webfact

By The Nation

800_617eefafa0585d1.jpeg?v=1570595998

Thailand’s competitiveness ranking for 2019 has dropped two spots from 38th to 40th among 141 world economies, despite the government’s Thailand 4.0 programme.

The World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Index rankings for 2019 were announced on Wednesday (October 9) at the Chulalongkorn Business School.

The drop occurred despite the Thailand 4.0 programme, noted Ass’t Professor Wilert Puriwat, Dean of Chulalongkorn Business School.

“Other countries made faster progress in increasing their competitiveness,” he said.

Still, Thailand’s scores rose from 67.5 to 68.1, he added.

Singapore is ranked first place, followed by the US and Hong Kong.

The index is divided into four major categories and built on 12 pillars:

1. Enabling Environment, which covers institutions, infrastructure, ICT adoption and macroeconomic stability;

2. Human capital, in which health and skills are assessed;

3. Markets, which includes product markets, labour market, financial system and market size;

4. Innovation ecosystem, in which business dynamism and inoculation capacity are assessed.

The rankings are determined by the World Economic Forum in alliance with the Chulalongkorn Business School at Chulalongkorn University.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30377229

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-09

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

Still, Thailand’s scores rose from 67.5 to 68.1, he added.

These people could put a positive spin on a mangy soi dog!

Thailand is a joke. It's hard to even beleive they rank as high as 40. Surely they are driven to game the rankings system. 

Whilst Singapore, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland and Hong Kong are impressive, they are micro countries - city states, effectively. 

The powerhouses are US, Germany, UK, Japan. 

48 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thailand 4.0 programme

Perhaps Thailand 4.0 should be renamed Thailand 3.8. A drop in competitiveness is not a good sign for the PM's much vaunted EEC.

I am guessing one of Thailand's biggest weakness in achieving it's goals is the outmoded education system. And that doesn't look like improving for a few more decades yet because of the entrenched inflexible government policies and corruption within the system. 

The Japanese have already come to the conclusion that that there is a serious shortage of skilled labour available in Thailand (EEC) which is detrimental to attracting foreign investment.

Thailand is a joke. It's hard to even beleive they rank as high as 40. Surely they are driven to game the rankings system. 

Whilst Singapore, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland and Hong Kong are impressive, they are micro countries - city states, effectively. 

The powerhouses are US, Germany, UK, Japan. 

Netherlands, Switzerland and Sweden, city states? Really? Something happened whilst I was sleeping?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, stevemac said:

Netherlands, Switzerland and Sweden, city states? Really? Something happened whilst I was sleeping?

Small economies for sure, Thailand has 66% bigger economy than Singapore.

Well singapore is near a recession and Hong Kong is in absolute CHAOS??? Hello, who made that weird list.

German is reported to drop an astonishing 4 places this year all over german media but has the SAME score as last year??

Thailands score has risen according to them, so it's just that others did better - i guess.

Can't take this serious.

Of course they are dropping. Just look at who is in charge. If you made a deliberate effort, it would be hard to assemble an administration less competent, and more indifferent to the needs of the people. 

The army are a boil on the face of the nation. They are utterly useless. 

1 hour ago, stevemac said:

Sorry, very small population countries. 

I don't mean it in a disrespectful way. 

Managing a country of 5-10 million is dramatically different from one that is 70 or 150 or 400 million. 

excellent!  something in the "news" that makes perfect sense.

reading, especially in a non-phonetically written 1st language, is not "a different way of thinking".  yet that is what most Thai people will offer on the most obvious cultural difference between SE Asia.... and places like China, Japan, France, England and the coastal cities of the USA.

the best way to connect socially, as well as the only time in which we show signs of intelligence, is in peer reviewed science and non-fiction books in general, which are power packed, otherwise they won't sell.

obviously a regional culture where reading is considered "foreign" is not going to keep up.  

With most professions, I simply couldn't tell if a particular Thai (or anyone else for that matter) is competitive. With those professions that I CAN make that judgment, however, I have yet to meet a Thai who's competitive in his area of expertise.

When you travel to let's say Vietnam or Malaysia, you meet bright people pretty much on a regular basis, and whenever it happens, it's immediately clear that they are very bright. In Thailand, it happens much less frequently, and when it does, they often hide their brightness behind almost childlike behavior that you have to cut through first. Go figure.

Small economies for sure, Thailand has 66% bigger economy than Singapore.

Well singapore is near a recession and Hong Kong is in absolute CHAOS??? Hello, who made that weird list.

German is reported to drop an astonishing 4 places this year all over german media but has the SAME score as last year??
Thailands score has risen according to them, so it's just that others did better - i guess.
Can't take this serious.

I’m trying to work out how the USA is 2? Especially when you read the 4 criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, singking said:

I’m trying to work out how the USA is 2? Especially when you read the 4 criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The difference between Singapore and the USA:

Singapore is "aided in no small part by its state-of-the-art infrastructure and strong cooperation between labor and management."  https://time.com/5695775/world-economic-forum-competitiveness-index-u-s/

POTUS Trump focusing on a trillion dollar tax cut for the wealthy and large corporations instead of a trillion dollar infrastructure bill didn't help the nation.

Archived