BANGKOK
JimShortz

Choosing a bedroom AC and comparing SEER values

I have three small bedrooms (around 12 square metres each) to buy ACs for. I have pretty much decided to buy Daikin for their excellent reputation, unless someone wants to convince me otherwise?

My two Daikin Inverter options being considered are:

• FTKQ09SV2S for B10,560 with a SEER value of 16.66
  • FTKC09RV2S for B15,990 with a SEER value of 20

Clearly the second one is cheaper to run with the higher SEER value, but by how much? I am partly confused because the second one has a "magic eye" function that allows the room temperature to raise a little if it senses nobody in the room. I'm guessing that this feeds into the higher SEER value, BUT since these are bedrooms and will contain people if the AC is on then this is essentially irrelevant. I guess what I am asking is does anybody understand how SEER values are calculated, and is it likely that for me the real world SEER values may be actually much closer together.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these ACs? Or alternative AC suggestions (high SEER and good value!)

I am pretty much sold on the more expensive of the two. I am in Chiang Mai and was thinking about ordering from these guys, at B18,900 including installation, piping, brackets, etc.  Is that a good deal? Anywhere else in Chiang Mai I should be asking?  (I want a local company so that I have somewhere to go if there are problems).

The SEER value is just a guesstimate ratio of energy usage over a time period for BTU.  Not much good for anything except to compare and hope mfg use the same guidelines to calculate.  Ha.

I think my Daikin has the "eye" thing - but I've never used it.  When they reach temperature, they cycle down to almost nothing anyway.  So, if that is the reason (probably) for the SEER difference, I wouldn't take the bait myself.  B3K for installation seems a bit steep to me but not outrageous.  Again, I'd go for the lower price.

Edited by bankruatsteve
spelling
  • Like 2

I am beginning to think the lower priced unit may indeed make more sense, especially if I can get reasonable priced installation. I don't suppose you are in Chiang Mai and can direct me to better value installation?

Anyone got recommendations for good quality good price installation in Chiang Mai? Thank you  🙂

Not in CM but maybe give the Home places a look.  They usually provide free installation along with a jacked up price but it could work out better.  

Just to add... You might also consider the smallest "inverter" you can find within Daikin, Mitsubishi, LG as it won't take much to cool that small a room.

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Just to add... You might also consider the smallest "inverter" you can find within Daikin, Mitsubishi, LG as it won't take much to cool that small a room.

I think that they are already the smallest available at about 8500 BTU

The SEER rating is a seasonally adjusted value looking at a varying outside temperature profile, and is a pretty good indicator of energy consumption over the year, especially when it is at part load conditions. The units run more efficiently at 30% than cycling on for 5 minutes and off for 10 minutes.  (This also provides better comfort.)

A SEER of 16 is very low, but if it is an inverter unit and the bedroom is only cooled at night it is not the end of the world.  Using a non-inverter unit in a bedroom is silly, as the load drops dramatically as the night goes on, but you want a fast pull-down to a comfortable temperature.  I doubt they are including the motion sensor in the SEER calculation, although if you enable it there should be additional savings.

Personally, a SEER under 20-21 would be a poor investment.

I  had the Daikin FTKQ12TV2S installed 3 months ago B17500.. My electric bill dropped 40%. 

I say go for the highest SEER you can get.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I  had the Daikin FTKQ12TV2S installed 3 months ago B17500.. My electric bill dropped 40%. 

I say go for the highest SEER you can get.

We have the Sabai II 15k btu in our bedroom, too. Unfortunately there were no better options for upgrade as one aircon unit came free of charge with the townhouse and we were offered a limited number of models only. I would have gone for a higher efficiency unit, and actually did for downstairs. Chose the Super Smile II 28k btu for the 29-30 sqm downstaris area

The Super Smile II line or the Super Smart are really good!

• Like 1

Be wary of free installation had a shocker from Homepro in Phuket, free installation and it was an absolute mess. Paid for another guy to fix it up.

The inverter models sound like a good idea, but I have heard that if it needs repairing, qualified aircon engineers are hard to find? Also is it worth replacing an existing unit with a inverter model, how long for the savings to give you a payback just using it at night for 6-7 hours?

34 minutes ago, tpthai2 said:

Try this guy.  Excellent English and work ethic.

Air Con

Charley

082-766-0426

Thank you. Does he sell AC, or just an installer?

...and thank you to everyone else for very useful input. I'm still unsure which way to go, being unconvinced that the higher SEER will in reality make sense vs the cheaper one - but I guess not a vast difference either way. Still thinking... 🤔

I just bought an LG 9200BTU from Dohome where I live, a new model with twin inverters, which they say makes it cheaper to run, for 12,900bht, which included installation, which was free.

I was replacing a 12 year old Daikin 9,000BTU because they tried everything to get it blowing cold and was told "can't fix"...Hmmmmm....

Anyhoo, the LG is great...Google it for a read..LG IG1ORN.SE2..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, transam said:

Anyhoo, the LG is great...Google it for a read..LG IG1ORN.SE2..

Any impact on your electric bill?

2 minutes ago, tjo o tjim said:

Any impact on your electric bill?

Dunno, been in for a day.....🥳

Read up on twin inverters....