BANGKOK
JimShortz

Choosing a bedroom AC and comparing SEER values

43 minutes ago, transam said:

I just bought an LG 9200BTU from Dohome where I live, a new model with twin inverters, which they say makes it cheaper to run, for 12,900bht, which included installation, which was free.

I was replacing a 12 year old Daikin 9,000BTU because they tried everything to get it blowing cold and was told "can't fix"...Hmmmmm....

Anyhoo, the LG is great...Google it for a read..LG IG1ORN.SE2..

That certainly looks like a very interesting offer, with a SEER rating of 18 and a very cheap price!  LG apparently make pretty decent ACs too?

51 minutes ago, JimShortz said:

That certainly looks like a very interesting offer, with a SEER rating of 18 and a very cheap price!  LG apparently make pretty decent ACs too?

Years ago, LG had a deserved bad reputation for quality.  Lately, their products have been top notch while still being on the low side in price.  I've also heard good things about their warantee and other service.

• Like 1

I have had luck with Mitsubishi so far.  Just put 2 units in our new house bedrooms.  Both inverter models. 

Their website is mostly in Thai and there are no clear comparative charts given.  I did so research.  There are like 4 different 9000 BTU inverter models, from cheap to OMG, really?  The OMG really one has over 24 SEER.  But it's around 10K baht more than the next model down which is around 21 SEER.  On the plus side, and you guys in Chiang Mai should pay attention, they offer what appears to be effective air filtration.  So do some LG models.  They will clean up the air in your room.  You will need to clean the filters, but a good plan if you have respiratory issues.

I have a similar size, non-inverter Mitsubishi, only a couple years old in the Pattaya condo.  It works well, but let's compare.  At the 6 baht/kwh electric rate in a condo building and with lower efficiency, I pay about 1000 baht/month just for bedroom AC.  At a lower rate in the village, the total bill has been 900 baht, so whatever savings will be less.  The other thing is noise.  Non-inverter cycles on and off all night blowing cold drafts to bring the temperature down 1 or 2 degrees in a duty cycle hysteresis.  You get none of that with an inverter and it runs at a much slower speed, almost inaudible.  That sells it for me.

I am more concerned with the lack of care in the installer industry.  Anybody with mechanical skills, given the tools, can punch a hole in a block wall, hang the units, and connect the hoses.  But I watched the guy in Pattaya not evacuate the system before he released the freon to fill the lines.  I made him redo it, but doubt it was done correctly still.  I await failure.

The guy in the village actually had an old single stage pump and a broken gauge.  He said it didn't matter, he'd been doing it for years.  It requires a 2 stage pump and a gauge that reliably reads to 50 microns.  The spec is to pump down to a stable 500 microns before charging the lines.  No clue.

13 minutes ago, gpreston said:

You get none of that with an inverter and it runs at a much slower speed, almost inaudible. 

If it runs at the slow speed does it still take enough moisture out of the air? I made the experience that low humidity is more important than a lower temperature - at least for me. One time I had an oversized aircon. Since the compressor didn't run long enough it was very humid in the room. 

2 hours ago, Beggar said:

If it runs at the slow speed does it still take enough moisture out of the air? I made the experience that low humidity is more important than a lower temperature - at least for me. One time I had an oversized aircon. Since the compressor didn't run long enough it was very humid in the room. 

Our bedroom inverter AC is running extremely slow at the moment and the humidity is down to about 45% so I would say it definitely takes the moisture out.

• Thanks 2

Does anybody have any idea how the models compare on enthalpy control modes?  I know some non-inverter units are pretty basic (and ineffective) in that regard (minimum fan, cycle compressor), but not sure how the higher-end units control logic works.