Compulsory Health insurance for 0-A visa applicants effective 31st October

https://www.immigration.go.th/read?content_id=5d9c3b074d8a8f318362a8aa&fbclid=IwAR39UI_zBxVLedZKgZeAeYnvb0yyyIsr6SHPhnq64ohzACO7VsLUU_LlGn0

Allowing foreigners who have been granted a non-immigrant visa "Non-Immigrant Visa OA Code (Duration 1)" Temporary staying in the Kingdom

Date:  8 October 2019

Allowing foreigners who have been granted a non-immigrant visa Non-Immigrant Visa OA Code ( Duration 1) Temporary stay in the Kingdom

With the issuance of a police order, immigration orders, as well as guidelines for allowing foreigners who have been granted a temporary type of visa Non-immigrant Visa
OA code (duration not over 1 year) came into the Kingdom temporarily. Cabinet resolution on 2 April 62, which was approved in principle to add rules for aliens. Applicant for a non-immigrant visa Non-Immigrant Visa OA code (duration 1 year) to have Thai health insurance covered throughout the period of stay in the Kingdom With an insured amount of not less than 40,000 baht for outpatient medical fees, for inpatient fees of not less than 400,000 baht by purchasing insurance policies online via longstay.tgia.org For those who buy health insurance from foreign companies Must have the sum insured not less than Thai health insurance as stipulated as well, effective from 31 October 2019, in a total of 3 copies

Press conference at 2.30pm Wednesday 9th October

Edited by Lovethailandelite
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hi @ubonjoe

Can I ask for some clarification? The police order language is unclear to me.

Is this for new O-A Long Stay applicants only? I think yes, but...

I am currently in the second year of a Non-Imm O-A Long Stay; I am using a multi entry stamp which is valid until July 2020. Am I okay until July 2020?

Further, I need to return to my Canada in a day or so for a family emergency, but will return Oct 23 or so. Will I be required to show health insurance upon my return? Again, I think 'no', but thought that I would ask.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and endless patience!

Cheers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hi @ubonjoe

I am currently in the second year of a Non-Imm O-A Long Stay; I am using a multi entry stamp which is valid until July 2020. Am I okay until July 2020?

Further, I need to return to my Canada in a day or so for a family emergency, but will return Oct 23 or so. Will I be required to show health insurance upon my return? Again, I think 'no', but thought that I would ask.

Cheers

Your OA visa is finished,  so no requirement for insurance.

3 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

It should not apply to OA long stay visas issued prior to October 31st but that is not all that clear yet.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Insurance would only be for the first year when you are on an OA visa stay, after that you would be on an extension of stay and the insurance would not apply.

A OA visa is a multiple entry visa. That is even mentioned in the info posted.

That means a person would get a one year entry up to and including the date it expires. The order states that it applies to those additional entries gotten from the visa.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It does not apply to extensions of stay based upon retirement applied for at and issued by immigration. That is clearly shown in the info I posted.

It is only for the one year entries a OA visa issued by a embassy or consulate allows.

So, are you saying when a person enters on a Retirement OA Visa and when it comes to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement because that OA Visa will expire then the medical insurance is not required?

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hi @ubonjoe

Cheers

Good question. I would think that if you are on the 2nd year stamp your original O-A visa has expired and you are no longer on an O-A visa. An extension of stay is just a stamp.

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

So, are you saying when a person enters on a Retirement OA Visa and when it comes to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement because that OA Visa will expire then the medical insurance is not required?

Yes

That is what the order states.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Insurance would only be for the first year when you are on an OA visa stay, after that you would be on an extension of stay and the insurance would not apply.

Maybe that is true - but I bet it will be a requirement for any extension as well as any new Visa. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Good question. I would think that if you are on the 2nd year stamp your original O-A visa has expired and you are no longer on an O-A visa. An extension of stay is just a stamp.

No it includes all entries from the OA visa done before the the visa expires.

image.png.07ab9b515075b9182ea96cc56ba4c6c5.png

Do the insurance terms still have that clause saying you have to be in Thailand for more than 180 days, for the policy to be effective? (I only checked it previously via the website O-X link)

The way I read it before was that you take out the insurance and using the ME aspect of the visa, the policy would only pay out after 180days in Thailand, which may give me at most 90 days cover ????.

Edited by UKresonant

22 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hi @ubonjoe

Cheers

I'm in the same  situation.. would appreciate clarification..

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If you ran the visa in to a second year, as most using an O-A do, you would still be on a visa but with a reentry permit if you wanted to leave and reenter, so reading the police order, yes, you would need the Insurance for the second year as in Items 2 and 3 above

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No it includes all entries from the OA visa done before the the visa expires.

image.png.07ab9b515075b9182ea96cc56ba4c6c5.png

So at this stage it is mandatory for every entry under an O-A Visa to have 12 months medical insurance.  So if you arrive first time = compulsory. If you leave and re-enter = compulsory.

But for those that enter and stay, and are seeking an extension of their permission to stay, it is not (yet) mandatory.  What are the odds that it will soon be mandatory for a 12 months extension of an O-A Visa's permission to stay? 

Even better odds - the IOs will interpret that it is required for any 12 month extension - even if Immigration do not specifically make that decision.

• Thanks 1

Well it is Official LOS now stands for Land of Stupid.

Have been here with my family for 13 years, each year more BS added.

Just have to wonder how many of these political geniuses own stock in the Insurance Business.

After checking I find nothing affordable for a 75 year old in Thailand.

For all the Butt Kissers, How much do you spend on Health Insurance ?

OH you don't need because your on the B30 plan.

This is nothing more than another Money Grab by greedy Aholes.

I really feel sorry for Thais, such a wonderful country and people, going down the China Path.

Now I have to figure which FREE Country to relocate to, Cambodia, Vietnam, or other.

Will miss being with my Family. Thank You so much, you greedy MF.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, WhatupThailand said:

Well it is Official LOS now stands for Land of Stupid.

Have been here with my family for 13 years, each year more BS added.

Just have to wonder how many of these political geniuses own stock in the Insurance Business.

After checking I find nothing affordable for a 75 year old in Thailand.

For all the Butt Kissers, How much do you spend on Health Insurance ?

OH you don't need because your on the B30 plan.

This is nothing more than another Money Grab by greedy Aholes.

I really feel sorry for Thais, such a wonderful country and people, going down the China Path.

Now I have to figure which FREE Country to relocate to, Cambodia, Vietnam, or other.

Will miss being with my Family. Thank You so much, you greedy MF.

If you are on extension of stay nothing has changed. The insurance is if you go home and arrive on an O-A visa.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

As in the police order. Any entry's using an O-A visa on or after the 31st October 2019 will need Health insurance. I don't see any disparity as to when the visa was issued

At this time I would assume it is for those issued after the order goes into effect.

A bit hard to enforce it for a visa that was issued this month for example since the insurance was not required. Would immigration deny entry in that case.

I think immigration will have to clarify that. 

As of today insurance is still not required for a OA according to the MFA or Consular Affairs website and two embassies I checked.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As of today insurance is still not required for a OA according to the MFA or Consular Affairs website and two embassies I checked.

It might take a couple of days for websites to be updated around the world. Probably longer than that . . . 

1 hour ago, Lovethailandelite said:

For those who buy health insurance from foreign companies Must have the sum insured not less than Thai health insurance

That would be more likely, but what would you have to show for it to be accepted 1. for a visa application in home country (and would you buy it after the application, or are there 100% refunds available if the visa is not approved). & 2. at the desk going through the airport that will definatly be accepted?

Lots of detail to develop out on this.subject....