What would happen in foreigner-free Thailand? (ironic)

zhounan

14 minutes ago, Caldera said:

There would be an almost complete lack of critical thinking, even more uneducated people blissfully ignorant of the big, wide world around them. Not a pretty thought!

In fact, I believe that over the past few years, many educated people are totally disconnected from the reality, don't see the real problems. The poorer classes are generally more critical. Throughout human history, there has never been such a stupid intelligentsia.

In Thailand, in particular, it is enough to observe the great majority of university professors without critical thinking, seems like ignorant functional employees.

1 minute ago, zhounan said:

In fact, I believe that over the past few years, many educated people are totally disconnected from the reality, don't see the real problems. The poorer classes are generally more critical. Throughout human history, there has never been such a stupid intelligentsia.

In Thailand, in particular, it is enough to observe the great majority of university professors without critical thinking, seems like ignorant functional employees.

Not surprising when critical thinking is capped at kindergarten level ......

23 hours ago, zhounan said:

What would happen to Thailand if tomorrow, suddenly, all expatriates, migrant workers and all western tourists left the Kingdom?

They'd settle elsewhere (back home or other destination) and after unpacking they'd quickly resume moaning and whining about how bad everything is where they now reside or from where they are being deported.

it would grind to a shuddering halt
no more Burmese laborers on building sites
no more captive slaves on the fishing boats
25 % GDP vanish overnight
only Thai movies in the cinema coz if we are going its lock stock n barrel
lots of sad thai wifes and even sadder family members
no more toyotas no more honda yamaha no more <deleted>ty chinese mobikes
you can keep your smoke belching tuk tuks
no more high rise built with western engineering (same in middle east)
no more black label you can drink your sam  song
tescos shut down

7/11 vanishes

no more kfc mcdonalds just about any resterant on the top floor of any mall

and since they stole chang from carslberg we're taking that too
no more power tools
no more computers 
the list i'm afraid is to long for here

and last but not least no more televisions you didnt invent it your not getting it

ouch................

1 minute ago, andy72 said:

it would grind to a shuddering halt
no more Burmese laborers on building sites
no more captive slaves on the fishing boats
25 % GDP vanish overnight
only Thai movies in the cinema coz if we are going its lock stock n barrel
lots of sad thai wifes and even sadder family members
no more toyotas no more honda yamaha no more <deleted>ty chinese mobikes
you can keep your smoke belching tuk tuks
no more high rise built with western engineering (same in middle east)
no more black label you can drink your sam  song
tescos shut down

7/11 vanishes

no more kfc mcdonalds just about any resterant on the top floor of any mall

and since they stole chang from carslberg we're taking that too
no more power tools
no more computers 
the list i'm afraid is to long for here

and last but not least no more televisions you didnt invent it your not getting it

ouch................

At least the buffaloes would be happy ....

8 minutes ago, geronimo said:
10 minutes ago, andy72 said:

At least the buffaloes would be happy ....

oh, i dont know they might actually have to do some graft too
nothing like an unhappy thai riding your a** metaphorically speaking of course

7 hours ago, geronimo said:

The fact is, they would get by, they always do. Thais have this ability to ride out any crisis. We saw it in the floods, they simply carry on regardless!

the floods, the coups, the protests the seized the city.

3 blocks away life goes on.

1 minute ago, metempsychotic said:

the floods, the coups, the protests the seized the city.

3 blocks away life goes on.

Personally, I think it will very soon come down to natural resources, of which Thailand has plenty.

On 10/9/2019 at 3:03 PM, zhounan said:

What would happen to Thailand if tomorrow, suddenly, all expatriates, migrant workers and all western tourists left the Kingdom?

How about we do a little prank and for a year, at least, breathe some different air?????

My post is intended to be ironic, so far the idiots and fools

(but not so much, after this morning I saw an honest and tireless Laotian worker being insulted by a Thai)

i reckon you need to check your definition of irony.

5 hours ago, bendejo said:

Agriculture in Issan would prosper, with all those farm girls no longer leaving to service the farang.

Including their children that could not afford going to school because Mommy back working at the farm , owned by big Thai corporation.

3 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

and the police would need to start racketing their own for tea money.

They already do this daily outside the tourist areas! As the majority of TVF members live in tourist areas they forget that there is a huge part of the country that does quite well without tourism. Some need to get out and about and see the country! :wink:

I like this question very much because I did research in social psychology in my university year.

Of course what I am going to say is not exactly what will happen but more likely to be correct. You need to base on facts not just imaginations. Things happened in the past in other countries would give you some ideas.

Example is Burma after the second world war, when it got independence from Britain, the Burmese military government kicked out all the indians in Burma. The Indians at that time were running almost all the business in Burma. A famous British lady author said in Burma everything was done by the Indians, from Laundry to Tinsmith. So when the Indian left Burma, the economy collapsed.

Burma became a very poor country. But they managed because they were already used to hard life during the colonial times. Just things get a little tough after the Indians left. Prices gone up. They couldn't find people to repair their shoes. No cobbler anywhere until some Burmese themselves learned how to repair shoes from scratch.

I guess Thailand would become a poor country but in other areas they do have the plus side. Thailand would become more healthy. They eat more local products and more fibre in their diet. Once again they are happy because they sing song in their paddy field.

Oh, by the way, the rich Chinese ethnic groups would have all gone to Australia or USA. They have their passports already. A lot of them already have PR even today.

If anything happen they don't suffer. All the hypocrite countries will openly accept them and welcome them. Example, who was big guy from Thailand very quickly accept by Dubai when he was a fugitive? Who was made a citizen of Serbia?

All in all, Thailand once again become beautiful and healthy. They will use coconut shells not plastic that's why.

On 10/10/2019 at 5:23 PM, ylmiri said:

I like this question very much because I did research in social psychology in my university year.

Of course what I am going to say is not exactly what will happen but more likely to be correct. You need to base on facts not just imaginations. Things happened in the past in other countries would give you some ideas.

Example is Burma after the second world war, when it got independence from Britain, the Burmese military government kicked out all the indians in Burma. The Indians at that time were running almost all the business in Burma. A famous British lady author said in Burma everything was done by the Indians, from Laundry to Tinsmith. So when the Indian left Burma, the economy collapsed.

Burma became a very poor country. But they managed because they were already used to hard life during the colonial times. Just things get a little tough after the Indians left. Prices gone up. They couldn't find people to repair their shoes. No cobbler anywhere until some Burmese themselves learned how to repair shoes from scratch.

I guess Thailand would become a poor country but in other areas they do have the plus side. Thailand would become more healthy. They eat more local products and more fibre in their diet. Once again they are happy because they sing song in their paddy field.

Oh, by the way, the rich Chinese ethnic groups would have all gone to Australia or USA. They have their passports already. A lot of them already have PR even today.

If anything happen they don't suffer. All the hypocrite countries will openly accept them and welcome them. Example, who was big guy from Thailand very quickly accept by Dubai when he was a fugitive? Who was made a citizen of Serbia?

All in all, Thailand once again become beautiful and healthy. They will use coconut shells not plastic that's why.

Interesting post

Perhaps I'm missing your point, but it seems that if tourism stopped for many countries it would have a large impact. Seems like I read recently that tourism accounts for 16%  of the Thai economy.

A more interesting question is the impact of all expats that currently live here leaving. I'm not personally convinced that retirees like myself affect the economy very much at all. Certainly in locales such as Chiangmai, but not everywhere.

If anyone can convince a university in US or western european nations to conduct a survey of farang expats living in Thailand it would be wonderful. (May be the C.I.A would like to do that without revealing themselves)

A group of say, five students would be given a grant to conduct a research on the economical benefits that Thailand received by the number of farangs expat living in Thailand.

With the help of the different government departments in Thailand they compile a record of number of expats living in Thailand in year of........and all the activities, expenses etc.,

I guess Thailand doesn't really get a lot of economical benefits from farang expats living in Thailand. I say this because the numbers of farangs expats (not include Asians like Japanese or Koreans) is really too small in numbers to give real benefits.

The number has to reach a certain figure to produce real benefits.

So I don't think farang expats leaving Thailand(unhappy of course) will affect the economy. The large number of tourists(of whatever nationalities) we are talking about millions here will cause damage to Thailand economy if they go elsewhere.

So it's number game we are talking about. Last question is "Could the Thailand government give an up to date statistic of the farang expats living in thailand? I think they could easily produce that because every ampher and changwat have their records.

Any good farang can get them from Thai government to see how many farang expats are living in Thailand? Cheers.

Archived