VPN that works in Thailand paid for or free ??

Chivas

On 10/10/2019 at 2:48 PM, Chivas said:

All posts greatly appreciated keep them coming and  I will take a broad look at the weekend at them all

Depending on how much you are privacy oriented this may be of interest -

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/choosing-the-best-vpn-for-you/

Has very detailed comparisons charts on many vpns i had never heard of before.

my summary Chivas:

nordvpn, good pricing but not very secure and bad cs

ghost vpn . very cheap but pretty hopeless speeds

vpnunlimited - was very good, limited servers but good connection speeds and rarely dropped

Private Internet access best one ive found for cost vs uptime. and works for iplayer, itv which many don't, even they say they do.

most will give you a trial period , so worth trying with your broadband first to see if does what you need it to do.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:04 AM, phetphet said:

I use ExpressVPN. NordVPN and ExpressVPN always seem to get good reviews.

Same for me, Express. I have it on three devices and also have it installed on my router. All my wifi traffic goes thru EXPRESSVPN, including my LG smart TV and the Roku stick. They both think I'm in Denver, USA.

I've had Express for nearly ten years now. Great value. Excellent support too.

Same for me, Express. I have it on three devices and also have it installed on my router. All my wifi traffic goes thru EXPRESSVPN, including my LG smart TV and the Roku stick. They both think I'm in Denver, USA.

Do your US banks and financial institutions have any pushback on logins using that VPN?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Do your US banks and financial institutions have any pushback on logins using that VPN?

Ah, good point. When I first got it years ago I played with connecting to the net from various countries. I think they have over 100 sites now, all company owned/operated, not leased. I logged in from some mideastetm or African country and forgot about it. I couldn't log into my bank. I called and they looked at all my logins and I explained.

They warned me they they refused logins from a list of countries unless I contacted them. I think that's good and thanked them.

Same with one credit card company. So I made several calls and explained my situation but now login mainly from locations in USA and Canada now.

It's amusing to see ads for grocery stores etc in the Denver area on my TV when I use Roku here in the Kingdom.

While I boot the ExpressVPN app on my phone when I leave the house, most of my traffic goes thru the Asus router with their owm firmware image installed on it at home. So I don't use their app on my laptop, notebook, phone etc. when I use my home network.

My router is installed 'downstream ' from the TOT router but is still fast and has greater range than the ISP router.

22 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Ah, good point. When I first got it years ago I played with connecting to the net from various countries. I think they have over 100 sites now, all company owned/operated, not leased. I logged in from some mideastetm or African country and forgot about it. I couldn't log into my bank. I called and they looked at all my logins and I explained.

They warned me they they refused logins from a list of countries unless I contacted them. I think that's good and thanked them.

Same with one credit card company. So I made several calls and explained my situation but now login mainly from locations in USA and Canada now.

It's amusing to see ads for grocery stores etc in the Denver area on my TV when I use Roku here in the Kingdom.

While I boot the ExpressVPN app on my phone when I leave the house, most of my traffic goes thru the Asus router with their own firmware image installed on it at home. So I don't use their app on my laptop, notebook, phone etc. when I use my home network.

My router is installed 'downstream ' from the TOT router but is still fast and has greater range than the ISP router.

Does this mean that you have 2 routers.

I am on 3BB and am looking for a good vpn. I have found this thread very helpful until your post.

It seems to me that you have an ExpressVPN app on your mobile which I can understand but I got lost when it came to the routers. I have only one 3BB router with 4 outputs and my desktop is the only one connected at the moment. The router is also WiFi and feeds mine, my wife and sons mobiles and friends that come around.

What is confusing me is that you seem to have 2 routers in series with ExpressVPN on the second one. How would that work for me using only one router? Would I have to put the ExpressVPN onto my desktop or is there a way to put it onto the router itself?

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Does this mean that you have 2 routers.

I am on 3BB and am looking for a good vpn. I have found this thread very helpful until your post.

It seems to me that you have an ExpressVPN app on your mobile which I can understand but I got lost when it came to the routers. I have only one 3BB router with 4 outputs and my desktop is the only one connected at the moment. The router is also WiFi and feeds mine, my wife and sons mobiles and friends that come around.

What is confusing me is that you seem to have 2 routers in series with ExpressVPN on the second one. How would that work for me using only one router? Would I have to put the ExpressVPN onto my desktop or is there a way to put it onto the router itself?

Yes, two routers in 'series'.

For the first few years I used Express I just installed their apps on each device and each device could choose a different login country or region. They allow up to 3 (or 5,can't remember) devices in a single subscription.

I did a lot af P2P file sharing of books so I did extensive research, even trialing 2 before I chose Express. Only Express refused to reveal my home IP address to authorities, and can't in fact even do so since it assigns a revolving IP address to each user which transparently and seamlessly changes it several times an hour. So Express uses a hardware method to defeat such inquiries while remaining in the legal scope of any country they have a presence in.

EXPRESS traffic is deeply encrypted from my computer to their facility and works quite well in China for instance. China can't break such encryption so finally defaulted to simply refusing to carry encrypted traffic of any kind on their networks. In a country like that you simply can't use any VPN services therefore can't reach any website they choose to block.

So if some other entity complains about some traffic from a certain IP address Express answers the complaint by saying that thousands of their customers share that address every week. The other 2 services I trialed turned over my home IP address each time without blinking even though they claimed that I was anonymous for file sharing purposes. They lied and I proved it to myself by direct experiment. Express passed my test and I've been with them ever since.

When I got here I did the same, installing their app on each device. Then I brought a Roku streaming  stick with a USA subscription address. Worked great in America. I came to Thailand and couldn't get anything much at all because it uses the wifi only  which is TOT for me. "this channel is unavailable in your area" message constantly appeared so Roku became useless to me.

I took a flyer and reasoned that if the wifi 'thought' it was in the states it would behave appropriately. I bought one of the routers for which Express provided a native binary image and loaded it into the new router. The installation of the image is a no-brainer and they have extensive tutorials on their site and excellent vouce/live person support to guide you through it as well. Note they only provide such an image for specific routers, but support several leading brands.

I've been happy with Asus routers so bought one on Lazada for about $150. As always, buy carefully from a flagship store so you don't receive Chinese junk knockoffs. Real routers can't be bought at cheap prices.

I plugged that into one of the four ethernet ports on the TOT router and changed all my devices, including Roku, to access the new Asus router addresses. The new router provides both 2G and 5G ports. If you want a direct ethernet connection just plug your device into the ethernet ports on the Asus router and that traffic is also VPN. The only drawback to using the router this way is that all your devices connect to the web from the single country you log the router into, which is not a problem for most folks unless you want your laptop to appear in England and your TV to think it's in Brazil for example.

Now I still have the TOT router channels available to me for guests or whatever but don't use them myself. Now Roku works fine and I don't use the Express app on any device when I'm at home; they use the wifi and 'think' my IP address is in Denver or LA or whatever USA connection I log into.

This 'series' router approach will work with any router your ISP gives you. All it wants is a web connection to do its magic. It would work at your local bar if they let you plug your router into one of their router ethernet ports.

DISCLAIMER:

Regardless of the cynical feedback I get from some TVF members I will continue to recommend products /services that I believe are superior to their competitors and would never accept payment or any other remuneration to do so, and never have. Complain if you want but I will ignore it for the benefit of the greater TVF community.

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Don't want to impinge upon Billd's post but have a question for VPN users..................does it work if wanting to watch sport on Kayo, a streaming service from Oz (by all accounts).

See my last post. If your VPN provider has a server in Oz, just log into that one. Same for Limeys who want to watch things only available in England, etc.

16 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Yes, two routers in 'series'.

For the first few years I used Express I just installed their apps on each device and each device could choose a different login country or region. They allow up to 3 (or 5,can't remember) devices in a single subscription.

I did a lot af P2P file sharing of books so I did extensive research, even trialing 2 before I chose Express. Only Express refused to reveal my home IP address to authorities, and can't in fact even do so since it assigns a revolving IP address to each user which transparently and seamlessly changes it several times an hour. So Express uses a hardware method to defeat such inquiries while remaining in the legal scope of any country they have a presence in.

EXPRESS traffic is deeply encrypted from my computer to their facility and works quite well in China for instance. China can't break such encryption so finally defaulted to simply refusing to carry encrypted traffic of any kind on their networks. In a country like that you simply can't use any VPN services therefore can't reach any website they choose to block.

So if some other entity complains about some traffic from a certain IP address Express answers the complaint by saying that thousands of their customers share that address every week. The other 2 services I trialed turned over my home IP address each time without blinking even though they claimed that I was anonymous for file sharing purposes. They lied and I proved it to myself by direct experiment. Express passed my test and I've been with them ever since.

When I got here I did the same, installing their app on each device. Then I brought a Roku streaming  stick with a USA subscription address. Worked great in America. I came to Thailand and couldn't get anything much at all because it uses the wifi only  which is TOT for me. "this channel is unavailable in your area" message constantly appeared so Roku became useless to me.

I took a flyer and reasoned that if the wifi 'thought' it was in the states it would behave appropriately. I bought one of the routers for which Express provided a native binary image and loaded it into the new router. The installation of the image is a no-brainer and they have extensive tutorials on their site and excellent vouce/live person support to guide you through it as well. Note they only provide such an image for specific routers, but support several leading brands.

I've been happy with Asus routers so bought one on Lazada for about $150. As always, buy carefully from a flagship store so you don't receive Chinese junk knockoffs. Real routers can't be bought at cheap prices.

I plugged that into one of the four ethernet ports on the TOT router and changed all my devices, including Roku, to access the new Asus router addresses. The new router provides both 2G and 5G ports. If you want a direct ethernet connection just plug your device into the ethernet ports on the Asus router and that traffic is also VPN. The only drawback to using the router this way is that all your devices connect to the web from the single country you log the router into, which is not a problem for most folks unless you want your laptop to appear in England and your TV to think it's in Brazil for example.

Now I still have the TOT router channels available to me for guests or whatever but don't use them myself. Now Roku works fine and I don't use the Express app on any device when I'm at home; they use the wifi and 'think' my IP address is in Denver or LA or whatever USA connection I log into.

This 'series' router approach will work with any router your ISP gives you. All it wants is a web connection to do its magic. It would work at your local bar if they let you plug your router into one of their router ethernet ports.

DISCLAIMER:

Regardless of the cynical feedback I get from some TVF members I will continue to recommend products /services that I believe are superior to their competitors and would never accept payment or any other remuneration to do so, and never have. Complain if you want but I will ignore it for the benefit of the greater TVF community.

Thank you for that information and help.

It has cleared a lot of questions for me.

I think in the beginning I will just run with only my 3BB router as I am the main user and the rest of them use WiFi.

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Another vote for Express.  I have 6 US financial institutions - bank and brokerage (not including credit cards) - that I regularly access while in Thailand and have never had a problem going through Express to log in.  

Agree with the comments about their customer service, it’s top notch.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 7:17 AM, RocketDog said:

ExpressVPN has no server in Denver.

On 10/13/2019 at 2:41 PM, topt said:

Do you have the TOT router set up in bridge mode - otherwise it can cause conflct?

I don't know but probably not. In any event I'm getting 144Mb and range is great.

Also, TOT does not supply the password for changing their router settings and I'm loathe to do so.

In fact TOT uses the default passwords! Still, I'm happy with what I have.

On 10/12/2019 at 2:17 PM, RocketDog said:

i've used express for a few months now, their support is quick and helpful

Archived