Mandatory health insurance for Non O-A visa effective from 31 October

webfact

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

It possibly will happen. Its no if but when. Those of a certain age will be very unlikely to qualify for cover from an insurance company. So the question then will be, who will provide the cover? If not the insurance companies, will the government? Or will those unable to acquire cover be deported? I feel sure there are those who will be unable to afford the premiums and are trusting their family will help. Not such a good idea. The government should give very, very serious consideration to enforcing health insurance on long term expats.  

You can’t force older retired folk to pay huge extortionate amounts of money that they don’t have.

“Can’t get blood out of a stone.” as they used to say. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Barry343 said:

I have a OA visa which is due in the next 3 week, I do not have health insurance cover. Does this mean if I go to Immigration prior to 31 October and have my visa extended for another 12 months it will be okay as that will give me 12 months to sort out Health cover for the future.

An O-A visa itself cannot be "extended." You can only apply for a new O-A in your home country of residence. You can, however, apply to Thai Immigration for an extension of stay based on retirement, which is not an O-A visa...

Ubon Joe is saying the new health insurance requirement will not apply to future retirement extensions of stay, only actual O-A visas. But whether that will turn out to be true or not remains to be seen.

• Like 1

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

An O-A visa itself cannot be "extended." You can only apply for a new O-A in your home country of residence. You can, however, apply to Thai Immigration for an extension of stay based on retirement, which is not an O-A visa...

Ubon Joe is saying the new health insurance requirement will not apply to future retirement extensions of stay, only actual O-A visas. But whether that will turn out to be true or not remains to be seen.

So pay the insurance, get the OA visa.  Then just cancel the insurance since you will not need it for the extension?  Or will they consider the visa now not valid since you broke the terms of the visa which required insurance?   Fines?  Deportation? Extension refused?

1 hour ago, JDGRUEN said:

It was announced previously that for Expats who cannot qualify for Insurance (too old or pre-existing conditions... Then these people would be required to have Extra money in a Thai Bank Account. How much?  No announcement yet 

The orders and documents posted here thus far today seem to make absolutely no mention of that kind of an exception.

The idea you're talking about was broached previously as an idea as part of the broader proposal, but I never saw any actual official commitment to actually allowing that.

1 hour ago, billsmart said:

I'm still confused...

I entered Thailand on a Non O-A Long-stay Visa 20 years ago and have been living here ever since. I get an Extension of Stay every year, and use the Retirement criteria, but could use the Marriage (Thai Wife) criteria.

If anyone can answer these questions about the necessity to have health insurance with any level of certainty, I would appreciate it:

1. Does this new law apply to someone (like me) already in Thailand and just applying for an Extension of Stay based on Retirement criteria?

2. Does this new law apply to someone (like me) already in Thailand and just applying for an Extension of Stay based on Marriage (Thai Wife) criteria?

3. I am 73 so cannot buy health insurance. Could I post a THB440K bond (THB400K for inpatient plus THB40K for outpatient) with the government or a health insurance company to satisfy the insurance requirements?

Thanks...

Ubon Joe says it should only apply to actual O-A visa holders and not people on retirement extensions of stay who previously had O-As...  And yet, they've included the health insurance requirement in the section of requirements for retirement extensions.

Right now, the new rule should have no effect on someone here on marriage based extensions of stay.

I haven't seen anything in the government documents posted here today allowing for a bond or some other financial method as an alternative to an actual health insurance policy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lupin said:

I've got better coverage from home country.... but I agree all should have health insurance when getting older. I just dont agree with a policy that forces sub standard coverage from a tiny pool of providers on those that want to stay.

Firstly - at the moment the insurance requirement is for new OA visa and not extensions, so if you are on an extension it doesn't apply to you. 

Secondly - according to the link to the immigration site you can buy "insurance policies online via longstay.tgia.org For those who buy health insurance from foreign companies Must have the sum insured not less than Thai health insurance as stipulated "

So you are not limited to the Thai insurance companies - you can choose your own

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Applicants are required to have 40,000 baht outpatient coverage and 400,000 baht inpatient coverage

Here's an idea. Instead of these overpriced insurance policiies, could you just have an extra 440,000 baht in CASH above the current financial requirements? 

I guess not, seems that this is only designed just so the insurance companies can make a profit.

Thank god I'm not affected for now, but if I had to be forced to buy these stupidly overpriced scam policies, this is what I'd do. Every year, I'd make sure that I get 400,000 Baht's worth of Treatment. Sick or not. I want 400k of mandatory healthcare. In doind so, it would drive up the costs for everyone else so this stupid idea collapses.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

According to the order, health insurance is not required for those applying for an extension of stay based on retirement and only applies to Non O-A visas.

Not true. It says it right in the Police Order (1st sentence, page 2) and specifically the Criteria for granting the visa it's clear that this is for people ALREADY living in Thailand as well. 

Things like minimum income in Baht. Thai bank deposits with minimum acct balance for 2 months prior.

Only an idiot will think this does not apply to extensions of stay.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

So pay the insurance, get the OA visa.  Then just cancel the insurance since you will not need it for the extension?  Or will they consider the visa now not valid since you broke the terms of the visa which required insurance?   Fines?  Deportation? Extension refused?

The police orders that Joe posted talk about Immigration checking insurance status for O-A visa holders each time they enter the country, and requiring proof of insurance to cover the entirety of their permitted to stay period. And that would apply for each entry under the original O-A visa....

As for the Thai insurance policies that are being offered re O-As, I don't know if you can cancel them once issued... Or, maybe you can cancel them, AFTER you've paid the premium in full... And then of course, without any valid policy, you'd be denied any future entries under the O-A.

Whether the new insurance requirement is going to be extended to retirement extensions of stay is a whole other matter. Ubon Joe says it will NOT be applied to retirement extensions. But they've included the insurance language in the list of requirements for retirement extensions pertaining to people with O-A visas.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:

I really wish people would follow the links in the articles posted. The cost of the insurance to meet the requirements is about 20,000 baht a year. Less than 400 baht a week. For someone contemplating spending 12 months in Thailand it is the proverbial drop in the ocean. That is with major insurers like AXA and Pacific Cross.

<deleted>.  For 65 to 70 age group AXA is 86,700 annual.

• Like 2

I assume that if I’m on a tourist waiver visa under 30 days my personal travel insurance and health insurance in my home country, which covers €60K will suffice ? I will email the Irish Thai consulate anyway . I just go in and out under 30 days 4/5 different months a year . Suits me cos I come home and attend to my medical needs in Ireland and visit family etc. I think it’s the best of both worlds and surprisingly cheap to fly return from Dublin. My doctor says it’s too much travelling in a year for an elder lemon . I love it . 

Edited by terryofcrete

3 hours ago, kellyjik39 said:

I dont see mention of people over 75 who cant buy insurance.

What am I missing?

Over 75 ,  not welcome in the kingdom anymore . Go home ..

I know the feeling , insecure in old age ..

Edited by elliss
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Aye.... there's the rub....

Ubon Joe says the health insurance requirement will not apply to retirement extensions of stay.

But as you point out, the new Police Order adds a section on the health insurance requirement for people who've received O-A visas to the broader list of requirements for people applying for retirement extensions.

If Immigration did not mean or intend the health insurance requirement language to apply to people on retirement extensions of stay who've previously received O-A visas, then why include that language in the list of requirements for retirement extensions.

Who da funk is Ubon Joe ?.....Read the Police Order

It says it in plain English, Criteria for Extension of Stay

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

So you are not limited to the Thai insurance companies - you can choose your own

Read the Guidelines for O-A document on the website you linked to... The home country insurance policy is ONLY going to be allowed for the first year, not thereafter.

First year, all applicants can buy health insurance from insurance companies in their owned countries or authorized insurance company in Thailand. When the applicants want to renew the visa, the applicants must buy insurance from authorized insurance companies in Thailand only.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brokenbone said:

A self insurance option? Another 400,000 in the bank?

4 hours ago, brokenbone said:

outruled, no proffit innit

I am not sure of that. When they start to talk about insurance IO said that 400 000 in bank couuld be an opportunity to those that could not get insurance.

4 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

I assume that if I’m on a tourist waiver visa under 30 days my personal travel insurance and health insurance in my home country, which covers €60K will suffice ? I will email the Irish Thai consulate anyway . I just go in and out under 30 days 4/5 different months a year . Suits me cos I come home and attend to my medical needs in Ireland and visit family etc. I think it’s the best of both worlds and surprisingly cheap to fly return from Dublin. My doctor says it’s too much travelling in a year for an elder lemon . I love it . 

For now, this has nothing to do with either visa exempt entries or tourist visa entries.

Just now, Parsve said:

I am not sure of that. When they start to talk about insurance IO said that 400 000 in bank couuld be an opportunity to those that could not get insurance.

They talked about that idea originally, yes. But as of right now, there doesn't appear to be any language in the final police orders they've issued allowing that.

Talking about something as a possibility is one thing. Making it part of the final requirements is something else.

Why there is no such obligation for Thai nationals?

How about those who keep travelling abroad and have a worldwide covering serious health insurance not limited to 40/400K Baht?? Still need to buy the rubbish Thai insurance too?