EU ready to make 'major concession' on Brexit deal: The Times newspaper

snoop1130

EU ready to make 'major concession' on Brexit deal: The Times newspaper

1285.JPG

Flags flutter outside the Houses of Parliament, ahead of a Brexit vote, in London, Britain March 13, 2019. REUTERS/Tom Jacobs/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - The European Union is ready to make a “major concession” on a Brexit deal by offering a mechanism for the Northern Irish assembly to leave a new so-called backstop after a number of years, The Times newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Talks with the EU to reach an agreement on Britain’s departure have hit an impasse over the backstop, an insurance policy to prevent the return to a hard border between the British province of Northern Ireland and EU member Ireland if a future trade deal falls short of keeping the border open.

Johnson says he wants to remove what he calls the “undemocratic backstop” and has proposed replacing it by suggesting that Northern Ireland stay under EU regulations, customs checks should be made away from the border, and that Northern Ireland’s assembly, Stormont, would have the right to vote on the arrangements.

But Brussels fears handing Northern Ireland “consent” would give Johnson’s allies, the Democratic Unionist Party, a veto.

The new idea, as reported by the Times, would be a modified version of the consent principle.

Citing diplomatic sources close to the talks, the Times said European governments were prepared to “concede a unilateral revocation of the withdrawal treaty by Stormont after a period of time. The date of 2025 has been mooted, as long as both communities agree to it.

A European source was quoted by the Times as saying: “A landing zone on consent could be a double majority within Stormont, to leave, not to continue with the arrangements after X years.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-09

45 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

If the UK had gone with a "double majority" for the referendum, they wouldn't have gotten into this mess in the first place.

You cannot erase the past. You can rewrite history but that doesn't change it. You have to accept it and learn from it should it happen again.

If, back in 1975, the UK had voted against joining the EEC, none of this would be happening.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

You cannot erase the past. You can rewrite history but that doesn't change it. You have to accept it and learn from it should it happen again.

If, back in 1975, the UK had voted against joining the EEC, none of this would be happening.

If my grandma had a penis they would call her grandpa . ????

When one makes a mistake one does not need to allow a situation to happen and learn from it because there might not be a next time.

Think of all the situations   your above advice would be disastrous.

Can someone please explain to an American  the "backstop" and how it applies in this article? Does it mean there will be a hard border, or does it mean there will not be one?

As I understand it , the "backstop" is a proposal not agree upon yet, that in the event of a Brexit there not be a hard border between the two Irelands. and if the "backstop" proposal is removed there will be a hard border between the two  Irelands . 

Am I correct?   

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Can someone please explain to an American  the "backstop" and how it applies in this article? Does it mean there will be a hard border, or does it mean there will not be one?

As I understand it , the "backstop" is a proposal not agree upon yet, that in the event of a Brexit there not be a hard border between the two Irelands. and if the "backstop" proposal is removed there will be a hard border between the two  Irelands . 

Am I correct?   

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-45880401/brexit-basics-what-is-the-backstop

I don't get it. How can there be no border control? The UK is already negotiating deals separate and different from the EU with countries such as China or Brazil , if brexit goes ahead and these separate trade agreements get ratified, what is to stop trade for taking the path of least resistance?

For instance if tariffs an regulations are higher in the EU , go in through the UK  or if tariffs and regulations are higher in the UK , go in through the EU.

I don't get it. How can there be no border control? The UK is already negotiating deals separate and different from the EU with countries such as China or Brazil , if brexit goes ahead and these separate trade agreements get ratified, what is to stop trade for taking the path of least resistance?
 For instance if tariffs an regulations are higher in the EU , go in through the UK  or if tariffs and regulations are higher in the UK , go in through the EU.

That’s what it’s all about for the EU. If they cannot force us into Remaining to protect their bloc, they want to close the border. Just think of all that free trade produce flowing freely into to EU bloc.

Their protectionist racket would have failed and the people of Ireland (plus further afield) would be able to enjoy some cheaper products without EU tariff. They could even be able to buy some of that chlorinated chicken that everybody talks about. If the EU banned it then it must be good, and why shouldn’t we and they be able to buy it if the price is right?

That nounou state gets into everything. Let’s Leave.

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

Am I correct?   

The 'Backstop' basically means that the UK remains in the EU in all but name - and that way there's no need for any border controls in Ireland as the UK will still apply all the EU rules.

So no surprise the EU is ready to agree to this.

Can't the UK sell NI to Trump?  It's the closest part of the UK to Greenland. 

13 hours ago, Loiner said:

What the EU defines as a ‘major concession’ may in actuality amount to naught, and probably will do.
Only 22 more days of posturing to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

In the UK many still have the wrong impression that they are dealing with ONE opponent : the HQ of the EU in Brussels and they ignore the fact that any 'major concession' has to be approved by 27 member states (even the smallest of them have veto right)

11 hours ago, sirineou said:

How can there be no border control?

The way I read BJ's original proposal was there would be a hard border control only for commercial vehicles but 5-10 miles inside of Northern Ireland; thus, not per se a border check point. But to prevent private smuggling (ie., cigarettes) across the border Irish police would man "soft" border check points at the border for noncommercial traffic. Both Ireland and the EU rejected that proposal.

11 hours ago, sirineou said:

Actually, as long as the backstop is in effect, the UK would be a member of the Customs Union. So tariffs wouldn't be imposed. Also, because it would be a member of the Customs Union it wouldn't be able to ratify any trade agreements it might be negotiating.

10 hours ago, Loiner said:

That’s what it’s all about for the EU. If they cannot force us into Remaining to protect their bloc, they want to close the border. Just think of all that free trade produce flowing freely into to EU bloc.

Their protectionist racket would have failed and the people of Ireland (plus further afield) would be able to enjoy some cheaper products without EU tariff. They could even be able to buy some of that chlorinated chicken that everybody talks about. If the EU banned it then it must be good, and why shouldn’t we and they be able to buy it if the price is right?

That nounou state gets into everything. Let’s Leave.

So you would be happy to leave open a border into the proposed British single market that will be the UK after Brexit? No economic entity is going to be prepared to do that. So why would you expect the EU not to protect their single market?

14 hours ago, sirineou said:

If my grandma had a penis they would call her grandpa . ????

Not for much longer. Under proposed new UK "equality" legislation, gran will be able to declare herself a man - or any other one of more than 70 genders she fancies.

Anyone thereafter rash enough to "misgender" her (sorry, him!) will risk being hauled before a special tribunal with powers to fine and imprison offenders.

Hopefully, once he's delivered Brexit, Boris will deliver a death blow to this latest example of "progressive" lunacy.

6 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Not for much longer. Under proposed new UK "equality" legislation, gran will be able to declare herself a man - or any other one of more than 70 genders she fancies.

Anyone thereafter rash enough to "misgender" her (sorry, him!) will risk being hauled before a special tribunal with powers to fine and imprison offenders.

Hopefully, once he's delivered Brexit, Boris will deliver a death blow to this latest example of "progressive" lunacy.

Considering the stupid and possibly corrupt things that organ has led Johnson to do, perhaps he should consider gender reassignment surgery.

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

So you would be happy to leave open a border into the proposed British single market that will be the UK after Brexit? No economic entity is going to be prepared to do that. So why would you expect the EU not to protect their single market?

Personally I don't have a problem with the EU establishing a border - that is entirely up to them. 

I am less sanguine about them blaming us for so doing,

Staying in the single market was what the leave campaign was promising before the referendum.

Crashing out with no deal only became a thing because May was trying to hold the Conservative party together and the ERG and 1922 committee were demanding it.

Leaving the single market was not what people voted for. There is NO mandate for no deal Brexit.

18 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Staying in the single market was what the leave campaign was promising before the referendum.

Crashing out with no deal only became a thing because May was trying to hold the Conservative party together and the ERG and 1922 committee were demanding it.

Leaving the single market was not what people voted for. There is NO mandate for no deal Brexit.

You're being silly now, and your 'quotes' are so truncated to be useless.

31 minutes ago, el torro said:

You're being silly now, and your 'quotes' are so truncated to be useless.

No its not.

If you cant see you have been lied to then I cant help you. That video shows you the leave campaign leaders all saying we will be staying in the single market. They lied.

Since then the Brexit fundamentalists have hijacked the result to get what they want. Thats not democratic. The will of the people was to leave the EU but remain in the single market. 

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

And Ireland, North and South, will make fortunes!

If anyone ever tells you "the Irish are thick" have a wry smile to yourself. I promise you Irish people are very very savvy and are rubbing their hands together at the profits to be made however it ends up!

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

No its not.

If you cant see you have been lied to then I cant help you. That video shows you the leave campaign leaders all saying we will be staying in the single market. They lied.

Since then the Brexit fundamentalists have hijacked the result to get what they want. Thats not democratic. The will of the people was to leave the EU but remain in the single market. 

Yep. That's the problem with compulsive liars. They just can't stop.

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

If this is a way to come to a deal it's fine. 

The chance of NI leaving UK and joining the bloc is growing. 

And also the chance of peace at the Irish border is growing. No need to activate Sinn Fein ????

There is zero chance of NI leaving the UK.

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

Then, 

5 June 1975
Results
  Votes %
14px-Yes_check.svg.png Yes 17,378,581 67.23%
14px-X_mark.svg.png No 8,470,073 32.77%
Valid votes 25,848,654 99.79%
Invalid or blank votes 54,540 0.21%
Total votes 25,903,194 100.00%
Registered voters/turnout 40,086,677 64.62%

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

No its not.

"If you cant see you have been lied to then I cant help you."

And this is precisely why you misunderstand.

You believe everything you're told by the media you follow, whilst some of us are less easily manipulated by MSM.

Archived