What's up with the PC hysteria ?

mauGR1

I've become an English football enthusiast in the last years, so i follow the games and the news quite regularly.

I know it's not yesterday's news that there is racism in our societies and football is not immune, but i'm confident, (if the mods allow this topic to run) that we can speak openly about it.

A few days ago, there was the story about B.Silva's tweet to his team-mate Mendy, probably most of football fans know what i'm talking about.

Despite Mendy assurance that it was not an offending joke, Silva, who looks like a nice guy, is under investigation.

Today, Abraham, one of the young new talents, who has been called to represent England, said that "they are ready to walk away" if they hear racist chants from the opposition's supporters.

Well, i guess that since football was invented, the fans had been shouting at the opposition teams, to confuse and unnerve them, using curse words and whatnot. It has been considered normal until few years ago.

My impression is that this PC thing is getting a bit over the top, what do you think ?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too am a convert to the Premier League and Football. I find it interesting and relaxing, plus its amusing when someone blows on their arm and they fall to the ground screaming in agony. Im a hockey fan too, so please I hope someone doesnt chime in about how tough soccer is. 

The thing that gets me about Europe soccer is the blatant violence off the field and the rascism and antisemitism on and off the field. From such gems as Firms, Hooligans, Gas Chamber Noises to Ajax, bananas being thrown on the pitch and Nazi salutes, the world of European football shows the worst of humankind. Thats why I giggle inwardly when Euros call Yanks rascists or violent. My gun killed less folks than the Liverpool stands.

99% of the stuff you see in European football would never ever happen in the main USA/Canada sports.

So I dont consider them PC, maybe some of the players are finally taking a stand.

The Silva/Mendy thing is ridiculous.

Are you suggesting that it’s ok for football fans to racially abuse opposition players?? Because it’s been happening for years??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

pffft, these upstarters aint nuffing compared to the original hooligans, the blue and the green demes

Did you post the wrong video then? Because your cartoon history isnt really on topic. I have books I can reccoment if you want to learn instead of watching cartoons.

2 minutes ago, MrTrip said:

The Silva/Mendy thing is ridiculous.

Are you suggesting that it’s ok for football fans to racially abuse opposition players?? Because it’s been happening for years??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, i'm not suggesting that it's ok to racially abuse opp. players, personally i'm against any abuse, racial or not.

What i'm suggesting is that now it's apparently ok to shout insults to white players, but if the player is not white you are a racist.

Sounds a bit hypocrite to me.

15 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

99% of the stuff you see in European football would never ever happen in the main USA/Canada sports.

Football, like the ancient gladiators fights, is very useful for the people to vent off a bit, not that i justify any form of violence, verbal or physical.

Perhaps the senseless violence which happen regularly in US, happens because people are not allowed to vent off ?

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

If one idiot receives 20 million Euros a year for signing a contract with XXTTYY football club, I lose my interest to watch football. 

I am also disgusted with the exorbitant salaries in football and show-business, but that's the market.

I still enjoy football as a game.

21 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Football, like the ancient gladiators fights, is very useful for the people to vent off a bit, not that i justify any form of violence, verbal or physical.

Perhaps the senseless violence which happen regularly in US, happens because people are not allowed to vent off ?

And i thought it was about football not American football.

Have you ever been at a (real) football game anywhere in Europe with hundreds of Hooligans who only came to fight?

Just now, mauGR1 said:

I am also disgusted with the exorbitant salaries in football and show-business, but that's the market.

I still enjoy football as a game.

Headhunters from Bayern Munich, Manchester U. and plenty of other clubs are constantly on planes to find new players who immediately receive a passport of that particular country, just because they know how to play football?

I don't think that's fair if one club can buy more professional players than another from a smaller area. Is it about football, or about who's got more money?

I've stopped watching games and only switch on the TV when the Germans will win the next World Championship. ( Kidding_..._

2 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

And i thought it was about football not American football.

Have you ever been at a (real) football game anywhere in Europe with hundreds of Hooligans who only came to fight?

I have been to football games in Italy, not really big ones.

I have witnessed a whole train being vandalised by hooligans, with the police watching and doing nothing.

I watched on tv the CL final at Heysel stadium, where scores of Italian supporters died.

Yet, imho, the football is not responsible for the violence of criminals, it's the criminals who should held responsible for their violence.

Just take football out of the equation, we'll still have violent criminals to deal with.

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

I think racism is not an issue that is based in PC, but is a cancer in society that requires eradication.

I think racism is ignorance, and it can be cured.

Violence should be eradicated imho, but unfortunately it seems to  be part of human dna.

41 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I mean daft things never happen in College football, like a fake heart attack ? I could watch this all day

Naw dude like this:

and this:

44 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I think racism is not an issue that is based in PC, but is a cancer in society that requires eradication.

I think that actual public rascism in the USA/Canada is de minimis and is a term used by power seekers there as a bludgeon to enforce their political will on people. The term eradication is indicative of that mind set. That being said, it is clearly a problem in Europe which has a long history of violence towards "the other". 

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

You americans make me laugh. The helmets and pads. So girly.

aussie state of origin does it.

1. None of those guys would last a game in the NFL even padded up.

2. None of those guys would last a period in the NHL.

BUt hey, they are tougher than pro soccer players.

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I think that actual public rascism in the USA/Canada is de minimis and is a term used by power seekers there as a bludgeon to enforce their political will on people. The term eradication is indicative of that mind set. That being said, it is clearly a problem in Europe which has a long history of violence towards "the other". 

I said racism needs to be eradicated not people. 

I leave that language to those who espouse hate. 

5 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

That being said, it is clearly a problem in Europe which has a long history of violence towards "the other". 

Come on mate, are you sure ?

All the people in the world, back to the tribal ages have a history of violence towards "the other".

I think it's safe to say that racism doesn't belong just to the white people too.

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I leave that language to those who espouse hate. 

I dont know, your signature is kind of nasty. 

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Quote exactly where I said that. 

Oh sorry dude I left out the question mark. Read it that way.

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

I too am a convert to the Premier League and Football. I find it interesting and relaxing, plus its amusing when someone blows on their arm and they fall to the ground screaming in agony. Im a hockey fan too, so please I hope someone doesnt chime in about how tough soccer is. 

The thing that gets me about Europe soccer is the blatant violence off the field and the rascism and antisemitism on and off the field. From such gems as Firms, Hooligans, Gas Chamber Noises to Ajax, bananas being thrown on the pitch and Nazi salutes, the world of European football shows the worst of humankind. Thats why I giggle inwardly when Euros call Yanks rascists or violent. My gun killed less folks than the Liverpool stands.

So I dont consider them PC, maybe some of the players are finally taking a stand.

NHL is the best league in the world..

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Come on mate, are you sure ?

Well lets see, where do we start? You just want to do 20th century or before. Thank God Mao bumped off so many, otherwise Europe would look real bad compared to the rest of the world.

Sheer numbers of course. I mean 3000 Wounded Knees would cover one Baba Yar.

Hey its the 21st century and isnt the hatred so bad in the Balkans that gamrs get played in empty stadiums. To me, that shows how violent and rascist Euro soccer fans are, you cant even let them into the stadium LOL

Archived