Kasikorn, the green book, withdrawing money

If you mean the account book then yes. Via the cashier and with id that matches whatever they have on file. So for most foreigners that would be their passport.

NB - "green book" normally used to refer to motor cycle ownership book.

13 hours ago, topt said:

If you mean the account book then yes. Via the cashier and with id that matches whatever they have on file. So for most foreigners that would be their passport.

Got it.

Is there a way to withdraw money in Suvarhabhumi airport with my passport or account book only?

6 hours ago, chado said:

Got it.

Is there a way to withdraw money in Suvarhabhumi airport with my passport or account book only?

You can withdraw money cardless from every K-Bank ATM if you have the K+ app in your phone. But why don't you go to your local branch and get an ATM card with Visa? The cheapest, K Debit cost only 300 baht incl. the annual fee. 

4 hours ago, MAGA 2020 said:

I have one, it's called "Secured Account"

Then keep it to yourself. I prefer an ATM/Visa debit card. I read somewhere that they offer a secured account to people with poor credit access and they call it a "a second chance account".

I am not in that category. 

16 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Because I have never heard of a foreigner having an account in a Thai bank without an ATM/debit card. 

Quite a few apparently have when they have more than one account. They have a ATM for the account which they only keep a low balance in and none for the account with their main stash. Use internet banking or book in branch to move funds. The idea being if your ATM gets pawned you can only lose a small amount.

2 hours ago, topt said:

Quite a few apparently have when they have more than one account. They have a ATM for the account which they only keep a low balance in and none for the account with their main stash. Use internet banking or book in branch to move funds. The idea being if your ATM gets pawned you can only lose a small amount.

I have ATM with MasterCard debit card at Bangkok Bank and ATM with Visa debit card at K-Bank.

A secured account is for people with poor credit and they have to deposit money to be able to get a credit card. They actually withdraw their own money, same that I do with my debit cards from my accounts. 

19 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

A secured account is for people with poor credit and they have to deposit money to be able to get a credit card.

Not sure how long you have been here but it is pretty well known on the forum that unless you have a work permit it is actually very difficult to get a Thai credit card without having it "secured". It has nothing to do with "poor credit" as you call it.

Plus your two cards as you say are debit cards and not credit cards so not sure really what your point is?

19 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Because I have never heard of a foreigner having an account in a Thai bank without an ATM/debit card. 

I don't have a ATM card since longtime. In the beginning I used my Credit card to connect with one of my accounts but since the Mobile App works that nice this is enough to withdrawal cash from a K-Bank ATM. So therefore not need to pay the 200 Baht annual fee for the ATM connection to the CC (Credit card).

31 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I have ATM with MasterCard debit card at Bangkok Bank and ATM with Visa debit card at K-Bank.

A secured account is for people with poor credit and they have to deposit money to be able to get a credit card. They actually withdraw their own money, same that I do with my debit cards from my accounts. 

Actually a debit card and a credit card is by far different! so you can't compare this 2 cards. In many ways the use a very similar purpose but still not the same.

Even on some shops you can't use the ATM Visa card, because your name is not on the card. When you want rent a car this can be done with a credit card, but not with an VISA ATM card, because they can't book a security limit on the card! Same for some hotels, when they want have a credit card for security, this then mostly not work with the VISA ATM card. And many other things also different.

But yes for foreigners it's difficult to receive a CC (Credit card) without a work permit. And if you are able to get one, then mostly only with a secured account in the background. It seems not to be the standard to receive a CC without a secured account. So at least it seems when you listen to foreigners which archived to become a CC. But it's possible in Thailand to have a CC without a secured account!

On 10/11/2019 at 1:33 AM, Max69xl said:

Really ?

I have one with no card for the reason I do not have ready access to that cash, I have to go to a branch to make a withdrawal if I need to spend it.

22 minutes ago, chado said:

I've received a new card, with no name on it. Is that the case for debit cards? If I remember correctly my previous one did have my name on it, I got it 1-2 years ago.

Debit cards (ATM cards) in Thailand mostly have something like "Privileged Member" on it written instead of your name.

At least I not saw an ATM card with a name, that's mostly the reason you can take your new ATM card with you right away.

57 minutes ago, chado said:

I've received a new card, with no name on it. Is that the case for debit cards? If I remember correctly my previous one did have my name on it, I got it 1-2 years ago.

There are no names on Thai debit cards. Only on Credit Cards. 

On 10/12/2019 at 6:25 AM, chado said:

I'll tell you a secret: a bank card can be lost.

Everything can be lost. Does it mean you won't buy a car,because you're afraid of losing the keys? 

Normal people are not that afraid of losing their ATM/debit card. 

2 hours ago, YT3k72Em said:

You can request a debit card with your name on it (called embossed card), it takes about a week and shouldn't cost any more than a normal one.

I don't think K-Bank issues embossed debit cards anymore. I think there were a thread about it at TVF last year. I have had debit cards from Bangkok Bank for years,and can't remember if they used to issue embossed debit cards earlier. I haven't seen any embossed debit cards from any Thai bank. I might be wrong, though. 

11 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Everything can be lost. Does it mean you won't buy a car,because you're afraid of losing the keys? 

Normal people are not that afraid of losing their ATM/debit card. 

You've already forgotten what you're arguing over.

Your 1st statement was - "I've never seen a farang who has no debit card"

My reply - "a card be lost"

Conclusion - "a farang may have no card because it was lost". My case

Archived