o-a visa medical insurance - what is needed if leaving and returning country after 31st Oct?

While the new requirement for medical onsurance starts on 31st Oct whan applying for O-A visa, but since the visa allows for multi entry - what happens if leaving and returning country after 31st Oct - does medical insurance cover need to be seen by immigration when returning to Thailand or is this medical insurance only required for when the application for the O-A is made?

Edited by spambot

I was under the impression that the medical insurance condition was proposed, but not yet officially announced. Where did you see an announcement of a date for its imposition?

If, indeed, it is required for an application for a Non O-A, it will ave no effect either when entering Thailand or for an application for an extension of stay.

35 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I was under the impression that the medical insurance condition was proposed, but not yet officially announced. Where did you see an announcement of a date for its imposition?

If, indeed, it is required for an application for a Non O-A, it will ave no effect either when entering Thailand or for an application for an extension of stay.

You may want to check this thread:

or this thread, for the latest:

And yes, entering Thailand on an O-A visa after 31 October 2019 appears to require health insurance, proof of which will be demanded upon each entry, if the linked articles are accurate.

Edited by TheAppletons

17 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

And yes, entering Thailand on an O-A visa after 31 October 2019 appears to require health insurance, proof of which will be demanded upon each entry, if the linked articles are accurate.

I think any check would be done at the visa application stage rather than on entry.  Or do you think both?

This is my question too. Is this retroactive to Non O-A's already issued earlier in the year, in which case visa holders arriving in the country will never have been informed of this change in rules?

It's understandable that the new law will prevent a new Non O-A from being issued after 31st October without proof of insurance, but that's at point of application. Surely they're not planning to sucker punch people who already hold a valid visa? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, spambot said:

While the new requirement for medical onsurance starts on 31st Oct whan applying for O-A visa,

New requirement, have to see how it pans out. Checking at the borders would be difficult but hey, another reason to say no, and show an upturned palm!

Edited by jacko45k

From page 11 of 11 of a file attached to the announcement posted on the immigration website. If you have a OA visa issued before October 31 it does not apply to you.image.png.f7690e3b4468191e1e3478b0370703e2.png&key=cabaee158b8a22cefe6aff7b7d342f77e210904c2b5d33aa2c222c87082d7a52  

I also have read the document in its entirety. As written (to me at least) it’s quite clear that the meaning is that for visas granted before Oct 31st from the second entry onwards you do need health insurance. It will be checked at point of entry. This is what is written, I agree it does not make much sense to think that the IO will perform additional checks, and it is also blatantly unreasonable, however as written this is what the regulations state. I really hope I’m wrong mind you, as my OA visa was issued this July and I already have two entries made on it. I’m now unsure whether I can leave/re-enter after Oct31st, again without having insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, ifjsrussell said:

As written (to me at least) it’s quite clear that the meaning is that for visas granted before Oct 31st from the second entry onwards you do need health insurance. It will be checked at point of entry.

I think that will be clarified by immigration since it is not clear.

How could they enforce something that was not in effect prior to October 31st. There is no mention of it being retroactive.

• Like 1