NGO jobs in Chiang Mai - local NGOs network

marionfrenchy

Hello all, 

i’m planning on moving to CM at the beginning of next year (French 27yo). 

For the past 3.5 years, I’ve been working for an international humanitarian organisation at the headquarters in Geneva doing fundraising and communication. 

I am interested in getting in touch with the local NGOs network in Chiang Mai and hopefully find a job in a humanitarian/development/assistance organisation. My expertise is mostly focused around fundraising and communication but I can cover any admin tasks as well. 

I am not interested at all in voluntourism!

If you work or know anyone in the NGOs sector, I’d love to get in touch!

Cheers

I would suggest that your best bet would to be to ask the organisation you have been working for to put you in touch with their people who may be based in Chiang Mai or Thailand or to even send you to one of their missions in Thailand.

A letter or recommendation/introduction from them would also be very handy to have with your CV (and other relevant documents).

I'd also think your best starting point would be Bangkok, where most agencies have headquarters where recruitment is handled, regardless of where they have operations. 

Good luck.

Dear IvorLott,

thanks for your reply.

unfortunately, my organization cannot just transfer me wherever and whenever I want. I am already in contact with some of my colleagues based in BKK and CM. They usually are in operational contact with international agencies (UN, etc...) but I would be more interested in getting in touch with some more local, smaller NGOs. 

Regarding your suggestion of having a letter of recommendation/introduction, in what way do you think it would be handy? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Do you mean visa-wise? Or just for the purpose of finding a job?

Cheers

Regarding your suggestion of having a letter of recommendation/introduction, in what way do you think it would be handy? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Do you mean visa-wise? Or just for the purpose of finding a job?

Not a dumb question at all. In the NGO field, (especially in the wake of the Tsunami, the 'Fashionable' Burmese problem etc) Thailand sees a large number of visitors, most of whom are well-meaning, well - intentioned, yet may not have the experience or skills to be of any genuine help to an organisation. An official letter of introduction (translated into Thai if possible) shows at a glance that the organisation aren't dealing with another time waster. It is rather an archaic idea but has been useful in the past. 

From the description of your situation above, I'd say your best shot would be to spend a little time in Thailand with your colleagues, then get to know the 'lie of the land' during that time. NGO work is notoriously 'networked' in that everyone 'knows' everyone else; caveat it can also be incredibly 'cliquey' too and hard to break into, but once you are known, making contacts is fairly easy, especially of you have skills an organisation are looking for, you could find yourself in demand. I hope that helps and makes sense. 

Archived